Johnny Manziel investigated by NCAA (will miss first half vs Rice)

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Re: Johnny Manziel investigated by NCAA

Things getting deep for Johnny Hangover.

I get sick of the "rules suck" excuse, we were smoked for a kid signing a napkin but I didn't hear them whine then about it!

I want to see him more than anything on the 14th but I'm afraid we might not if this new story is true. 6 hours??? That is a LOT to talk about!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

NCAA doesn't respect Sunday. Interesting.
Look, we all hate the NCAA.

But, Texas A&M needs to stop lying. I'm tired of the cute excuses, deflections, and Baghdad Bob style talking points. Alabama has been in a lot of trouble over the years, but I'm at a loss to think of one point important people at Alabama came out and publicly lied. You guys are losing respect, fast...

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

I wish they would just make him sit out this Saturday against Rice and be done with it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

NCAA doesn't respect Sunday. Interesting.
That's what you're worried about? The NCAA not "respecting" Sunday? Keep worrying about the little things in this investigation.

Then again, we know Johnny respects Sunday. That's why he was sleeping so hard on that Sunday in Thibodaux, Louisiana, right?

I wish they would just make him sit out this Saturday against Rice and be done with it.
Not a chance in hell. Like 230 said, we got it for one napkin. If he did sign over 4,000 items, he better sit out more than one game.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA

Things getting deep for Johnny Hangover.

I get sick of the "rules suck" excuse, we were smoked for a kid signing a napkin but I didn't hear them whine then about it!

I want to see him more than anything on the 14th but I'm afraid we might not if this new story is true. 6 hours??? That is a LOT to talk about!
Speaking of the rules, and please ignore if this has already been discussed ad nauseum, why does the focus seem to be solely on whether he got paid - media and elsewhere?

My understanding is that it is a violation of NCAA rules to sign something knowing it will be sold. There's obviously no question Manziel knew these items were headed for EBay.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Speaking of the rules, and please ignore if this has already been discussed ad nauseum, why does the focus seem to be solely on whether he got paid - media and elsewhere?

My understanding is that it is a violation of NCAA rules to sign something knowing it will be sold. There's obviously no question Manziel knew these items were headed for EBay.
That is a good point, and one that I believe even the ncaa will gloss over. Also, I've seen a few people suggest that this will be put off on his friend, Uncle Nate, who got paid without Johnny knowing anything about it. The Cam Newton effect, if you will. Only, the ncaa supposedly closed that loop hole.

This thing has been a bizarre circus, and will amount to nothing on the field. Johnny will play, and this will eventually fade away.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This is absolutely true. There doesn't have to be a tape or something proving JM got paid. The sheer number of items signed would require that only an idiot wouldn't know that they were headed for market. I wonder if he told the NCAA that he thought these guys were just good fans of his who wanted a few more items signed that most fans do...

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but I think it's kind of gotten lost in all the discussions. Everyone gets distracted with the pay part of it, but the NCAA only has to see enough to determine that he signed X number of items that he knew was meant for resale and also whether or not he has lied previously to them. This is the second investigation over signatures. The first one occurred back in the spring and the school cleared him according to the aTm AD with the AD stating publicly that JM denied signing anything meant for resale.
The sheer number of items has to be a red flag though, even if you take into account that some small amount may be falsely authenticated. Combined with the fact that a journalist (Schad) has stated in an article he has seen video of JM actually signing stacks of memorabilia. They may not need the money trail.
But then again, the NCAA is unpredictable and has a strong history of selective enforcement (as we are all aware), so who knows?...
My feeling is that aTm will play him, and worry about potential penalties later. JMO.

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011

I think he's suspended for first two games based simply on 'knowing' items would be sold. Perfect for aggies, they get off the hook and jff stays healthy for BAMA game. tamu will win first two without a QB. The down side would be maybe jff is left somewhat rusty.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

I'm thinking that IF the NCAA believes he knowingly signed numerous items for his own profit or for someone else's benefit, then there will be a minimum 4 game suspension.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

This is absolutely true. There doesn't have to be a tape or something proving JM got paid. The sheer number of items signed would require that only an idiot wouldn't know that they were headed for market. I wonder if he told the NCAA that he thought these guys were just good fans of his who wanted a few more items signed that most fans do...
everyone seems to be assuming that the NCAA actually has any type of power or authority anymore...
they've lost all actual or perceived credibility with the conferences, teams and public..., they will bow to public opinion, if theres any way possible...

NCAA enforcement has been a joke, and is a toothless tiger at best now.

just my opinion...

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I'm thinking that IF the NCAA believes he knowingly signed numerous items for his own profit or for someone else's benefit, then there will be a minimum 4 game suspension.
If not, then anyone at the University that cooperates with the NCAA in any type of investigation, should be terminated immediately. I think we have enough trained legal minds who are alumns that could fight this type of thing and do it free of charge. We get hammered for textbooks and napkin contracts and all you have to do is just deny and make them proove it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

everyone seems to be assuming that the NCAA actually has any type of power or authority anymore...
they've lost all actual or perceived credibility with the conferences, teams and public..., they will bow to public opinion, if theres any way possible...

NCAA enforcement has been a joke, and is a toothless tiger at best now.

just my opinion...
The NCAA has power until Texas A&M or any other institution breaks away from it.

The public opinion seems to be he should be punished, although no one wants that because of what game he'll miss.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.