Johnny Manziel investigated by NCAA (will miss first half vs Rice)

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Re: Johnny Manziel investigated by NCAA

Hey, I think this is kinda fun for off season news. I know way to much Johnny. But watching Mike & Mike they are saying if JFK just comes clean all will be ok, Really? Any school or person who cooperates with the NCAA is a fool. API did it right, better to pay a ton to lawyers really good lawyers than admit anything.

One thing we may not be considering is the O'Bannon case, that is really gaining steam. The NCAA may be no more after that trial or at least not as we know it anyway. All this falls right in place with that law suit.

Personally, I think Green & Pryor got a bad deal. Olympic athletes can now make money & this hold the NCAA has over these kids is long overdue for an overturn.

I think the O'Bannon case will have more to do with what happens to JF than any other factor. Anyway do not look for quick action unless Danny Sheridan can produce the bag man.

BocaLance

All-American
Oct 18, 2001
Douglasville (Atlanta), GA

He's got a personal assistant. Lots of overhead to cover ... Johnny just keepin' it real for his peeps!
Good grief ... Throw out the whole "athletes deserve to be paid" argument. This is pure Johnny Entitlement thumbing his nose and throwing the bird at everyone, and his downfall is a big reason Freshmen have never been considered for the Heisman.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

One obnoxious point I remember aggies saying over and over, after they snaked Fran, was that they had so much more money than did the entire state of Alabama that there was simply no way Fran would have even considered turning down their offer. Bama couldn't afford to keep him.

Well guess what...the aggies' pockets are so deep they may well have funneled enough money to J Football to see him benched.

They need to get a grip on the fat cats that keep sabotaging their program, find some girl cheerleaders, and repent.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va

Do all of you guys remember how it felt when we had issues with some of our players? Issues that the University or the fans had nothing to do with but still affected everyone that had interests with the success of the University and the sports programs? (One Jimmy Johns comes to my mind. And I'm not comparing Johns to Manziel other than in an abstract connection.) I would imagine that A&M is finding themselves in such a situation now. Unlike the barn, I think every time a new article on JFB comes to the forefront they have a feeling of 'Oh Jeez, what is it this time.' The barn would just wonder what it was that Bama did to cause this one. In a way, I am actually feeling a little bad for A&M and their fans on this one. Even though the PTB's have permitted, allowed or looked the other way from the beginning, the ones that really care are the ones that will experience the disappointment much as we all did when we had a QB selling drugs. The disappointment ran deep within the community and that feeling resurfaces every time I think about it. What say you?

Roll Tide, Roll...A'ight!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

The way I see it...JM ain't in school to get any kind of degree, unless they give out degrees for stupidity, laziness and selfishness. He didn't intercept AJ's pass in the EZ, or jump offsides on the punt. I could care less whether the moron plays or not, I just want Bama to have more points when the game ends.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

In related news, according to @DannySheridan1, Alabama-Texas A&M has been taken off the board at the Las Vegas Hilton. The line evidently had moved too dramatically in Bama's direction.
Last weekend, the line moved from -6.5 to -9.5 in Bama's favor. That's quite a big jump in one weekend for a game over a month away. Now the game and the over/under on A&M's win total are off the boards.

If the part in the story about 999 items being numbered (as in 1/999, 2/999, etc.), I wouldn't think it would be difficult to figure out he signed it. Rovell was on SportsCenter talking about how perfect the writing was; he said it didn't look like something he would have done while walking through a crowd of people and some include comments like "Gig 'Em" or "Heisman '12." He would have to take his time to write those things.

Kevin4Bama

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2005
Theodore, Alabama, United States

Do all of you guys remember how it felt when we had issues with some of our players? Issues that the University or the fans had nothing to do with but still affected everyone that had interests with the success of the University and the sports programs? (One Jimmy Johns comes to my mind. And I'm not comparing Johns to Manziel other than in an abstract connection.) I would imagine that A&M is finding themselves in such a situation now. Unlike the barn, I think every time a new article on JFB comes to the forefront they have a feeling of 'Oh Jeez, what is it this time.' The barn would just wonder what it was that Bama did to cause this one. In a way, I am actually feeling a little bad for A&M and their fans on this one. Even though the PTB's have permitted, allowed or looked the other way from the beginning, the ones that really care are the ones that will experience the disappointment much as we all did when we had a QB selling drugs. The disappointment ran deep within the community and that feeling resurfaces every time I think about it. What say you?

Roll Tide, Roll...A'ight!
Oh, Boo Hoo! I don't feel one bit sorry for them. Were you around during the Fran debacle? It turned out to be a huge favor, but they were unbearable. I'm not going to pile on, but I sure don't feel sorry for them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

ITAT literally has a poll asking whether aTm is going to fight back against the REC. does losing your teeth cause brain damage?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I keep thinking this, but this is another: "If nothing comes of this, put a fork in the NCAA" type of situation. I noticed it was a bit odd during the previous OTL report on Johnny, the talk about his dad having stuff for him to sign. That was already pretty close to being out of bounds given the fact that his dad was likely profiting off of them.

But, this seems fairly obvious. There is a witness to verify something improper went on, and you have third parties verifying numbered autographs are authentic. Virtually every memorabilia collector knows the difference between hand signed type stuff, that people push in front of a player, and official type of stuff that some sort of a business entity puts out with cooperation from a player.

Unlike Cam, it would seem the key is that someone witnessed part of this going down, which should radically change things from what I previously thought was proof enough for the NCAA (we know), to we can prove something happened. However, unlike the Cam situation, this wasn't a payer being paid to play, this wasn't a six figure sum, and it didn't involve him playing while ineligible (a key reason I suppose Auburn said to heck with it, and kept playing him).

If everyone is thinking clearly on this, Johnny will own up to it, he will pay the money back, and as punishment he'll have to sit a few games. There would be no punishment for Texas A&M as there was no wrong doing on their part and they never played an ineligible player, and that would be that.

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL

He will be required to pay the money back and declared ineligible for the entire time that he's writing the check. Upon handing the check over, eligibility will be immediately restored.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Last reference to ITAT, I swear but read this ironic statement:

Before we as Auburn fans start leading a parade for Johnny just because we hate Bama, let's remember that while both Johnny and ...... boys were cheating their butts off and skirting the rules, Auburn players were towing the line and obeying the ncaa rules.

(Don't hit your head on the table when you fall in the floor laughing).

BamaJeff

Hall of Fame
Oct 12, 1999
Dothan, AL.

Last reference to ITAT, I swear but read this ironic statement:

Before we as Auburn fans start leading a parade for Johnny just because we hate Bama, let's remember that while both Johnny and ...... boys were cheating their butts off and skirting the rules, Auburn players were towing the line and obeying the ncaa rules.

(Don't hit your head on the table when you fall in the floor laughing).
I love good comedy!

Bamadonk

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2005
Anniston, AL

They were definitely "towing" the line. They towed it around the NCAA about 200,000 times and got away with it.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

A bit of food for thought:

Texas A&M has not declared Manziel ineligible at this point, even though it would be a completely meaningless administrative decision that could be reversed internally at any point. Given that the A&M compliance staff clearly wasn't blindsided by this -- seems they had notice of this for the better part of a week -- that alone tells me that they believe the NCAA will be unable to provide the factual allegations.

Also, don't you have to love the implicit admission of a lack of knowledge by journalists here? How much money did he allegedly take in exchange for the autographs. Well, it's a "five-figure sum," but no one pins it down more than than. In other words, it's somewhere between $10,000 and $99,999, but other than that we don't know. The fact that we can't even get in the ballpark of a concrete number as to what he allegedly took only underscores to me the notion that there just isn't any firm proof here.

And, finally, let me add here that a two-game suspension would be entirely meaningless and without any real effect whatsoever. Rice and Sam Houston State are both schedule-fillers, and if anything A&M fans might even sigh some relief if he doesn't have to risk injury in a couple of snoozer OOC games. This latest melodrama, even if there is substantive proof behind it, only becomes an issue if a suspension of three or more games comes into play.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I`m beginning to wonder if there`s not really something wrong with this kid (over and above the "exuberance" of youth).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.