Johnny Manziel investigated by NCAA (will miss first half vs Rice)

jagvocate

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2010
Re: Johnny Manziel investigated by NCAA

Legal evidence?
Yes, as in obtained in a legal manner with proper authenticity and reliability. Not hearsay ESPN articles. Any competent multi-million dollar football program should demand this in making their decisions, no?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Yes, as in obtained in a legal manner with proper authenticity and reliability. Not hearsay ESPN articles. Any competent multi-million dollar football program should demand this in making their decisions, no?
When there's been this much smoke, the University of Alabama has acted proactively in the past - one player isn't worth losing an entire season over.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

I'm guessing you aren't familiar with the Albert Means case...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

If you think the NCAA acts in an even-handed manner with consistent enforcement toward programs, above-board dealings with burden of proof and keeps within its own rules... to borrow a line from Game of Thrones... you haven't been paying attention.

jagvocate

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2010

When there's been this much smoke, the University of Alabama has acted proactively in the past - one player isn't worth losing an entire season over.
Do you mean in hearsay autograph-signing allegations, or in some other types of cases? I am positive that facts are gathered in making decisions and that newspaper reports or Internet reports aren't taken at face value before making such important decisions. Facts drive decisions for all programs, not "smoke."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Do you mean in hearsay autograph-signing allegations, or in some other types of cases? I am positive that facts are gathered in making decisions and that newspaper reports or Internet reports aren't taken at face value before making such important decisions. Facts drive decisions for all programs, not "smoke."
I agree that we lack proof at this point, but only fools and aTm fans believe that Manziel is innocent in this. Too many people telling very similar stories about separate instances. Occam's Razor.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

We had our own brush with this type of thing and compliance vetted it carefully, then reported the findings to the SEC. Luckily, this happened in the off-season for us, as otherwise several players likely would have sat until compliance approved their playing.

You guys want to risk the entire season on this guy? Go for it.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

The problem now for Mr. Foosball is this - unlike the sCam case, where there were offers to pay but no direct accusations that any specific individual ever actually did pay, now you have someone saying "I paid him cash money". That is where a government agency that is paid to collect taxes on income such as this (maybe you've heard of them) gets involved. That body does have the authority to subpoena things like video tapes and bank records. At this point if I am TAMU I sit him until this is sorted out, but then I do understand the earlier post - what do they have to lose, take the barn strategy and hope for the best.

jagvocate

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2010

We don't even have proof of its existence right now. All we have is ESPN...and they do not bat 1.00 in the truth department. A guilty Johnny Manziel should sit. But no one, anywhere, in any type of responsible athletic department should cut him based off of ESPN articles. That decision is made off of authentic legal evidence. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've just not seen that come to light yet. I've seen one pic of Manziel in a hotel room and Joe Schadd stories about videos that may or may not exist.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

We don't even have proof of its existence right now. All we have is ESPN...and they do not bat 1.00 in the truth department. A guilty Johnny Manziel should sit. But no one, anywhere, in any type of responsible athletic department should cut him based off of ESPN articles. That decision is made off of authentic legal evidence. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've just not seen that come to light yet. I've seen one pic of Manziel in a hotel room and Joe Schadd stories about videos that may or may not exist.
Does the rest of the Aggie fan base share your thoughts? If so, you're a naive group.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

The visitors from aTm are like the guy that has multiple friends tell him that his girlfriend is, and has been, out and about with other guys, but he chooses to ignore it because none of them have shown him 'authentic, legally obtained video'. Well alright then, after all, she's your girlfriend...

jagvocate

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2010

Anyone who's ever had a newspaper report done on an event that they personally know a lot about will tell you that the media gets things wrong. It is not being naive to ask for the NCAA to present their evidence, and not cut Manziel based on Joe Schadd. He and Darren Ravell have blown stories before, and will do it again.

Manziel will be suspended or not based on evidence, not Internet articles. That's real world decision making.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Anyone who's ever had a newspaper report done on an event that they personally know a lot about will tell you that the media gets things wrong. It is not being naive to ask for the NCAA to present their evidence, and not cut Manziel based on Joe Schadd. He and Darren Ravell have blown stories before, and will do it again.

Manziel will be suspended or not based on evidence, not Internet articles. That's real world decision making.
Have you paid any attention to NCAA investigations? Who did the investigative work against USC? UNC? Miami? Ohio State? Auburn? Oregon?

The NCAA didn't do the work without some help.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I don't think ESPN would lie about the video. And frankly that video may be enough to damn Manziel. The burden of proof is somewhere around "preponderance of evidence" for the NCAA, not "we have to account for every dollar until it becomes a suspend-able amount."

The issue with the Cam Newton case was that MSU only provided evidence that Cecil Newton attempted to gather benefits not that he took them from Auburn. Common sense says the late flip had to do with some newfound income but Auburn did a great job of stonewalling and/or laundering the money. This case has two brokers stating he sought money and got it from them AND they have a video of Manziel giving one the wink-wink, nudge-nudge this didn't happen deal.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.