2015 QB Ricky Town Decommits from Alabama, Flips to USC

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Re: *** 2015 QB Ricky Town Commits to USC ***

I suspect this has more to do with the Coker rumors than the Kiffin hire. Or it may just be that he loves what Sark can offer him at USCw. I'm not to concerned, though. We will find someone equally as good who WANTS to compete at Bama.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I suspect this has more to do with the Coker rumors than the Kiffin hire. Or it may just be that he loves what Sark can offer him at USCw. I'm not to concerned, though. We will find someone equally as good who WANTS to compete at Bama.
I still don't see why it has anything to do with Coker. Their time together at Bama would've been one year max. That would be more of a help than a hinderance.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Re: Bama Loses Potential Recruit Ricky Town

Well, maybe the PTB are a bit more lax, in the off-season. As long as order is maintained, they may be willing to let stuff appear where it might get more views. Just a hunch.

Next.........!

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Just food for thought , this is his 2nd commitment in less than a year, all before his junior season has even ended.
IMO, this won't be last commitment before the 2015 NSD. My Gunner Kiel comparison may not be too far off......

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning

Just food for thought , this is his 2nd commitment in less than a year, all before his junior season has even ended.
IMO, this won't be last commitment before the 2015 NSD. My Gunner Kiel comparison may not be too far off......
Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it. USC is where he wanted to go all along. His parents weren't big Kiffin fans and Rosen was USC's focus at QB. Sarkisian now sees he isn't gonna get Rosen so he threw the focus to Town. Kiffin is at Alabama, Nuss is gone, and Sarkisian needs a QB. It was those factors that led to this. He will be a Trojan.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it. USC is where he wanted to go all along. His parents weren't big Kiffin fans and Rosen was USC's focus at QB. Sarkisian now sees he isn't gonna get Rosen so he threw the focus to Town. Kiffin is at Alabama, Nuss is gone, and Sarkisian needs a QB. It was those factors that led to this. He will be a Trojan.

Airborne,

lets see what happens on February 2015. :wink:

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

I still don't see why it has anything to do with Coker. Their time together at Bama would've been one year max. That would be more of a help than a hinderance.
I agree with you and so do most other people, but we are talking about the mind of a 16 year old boy--plus there is that David Cornwell guy in the mix as well. ;)

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus

I think you pretty much nailed it, AT.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

You're being naively optimistic. Let him go - it's not that big of a deal.

Oh I'm not losing sleep over this kid. Look back on pg 12 on my opinion on his de commitment . I have never been cynical on any prospect nor will I begin now that decides to change his mind, it happens all the time, it's almost expected these days. My post was in jest of his 2 nd verbal and I believe that is not over yet for him. It's not about detachment issues, far from it. There's no guarantee that he will turn out great or not so I'm not fretting over something that we have no control of.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I'm not so much worried about Town's decommitment as I am that it probably had to do with Kiffin being the coach here. If other top QB prospects feel the same way, that will deter a lot of good prospects. I'm still afraid that Kiffin's reputation is poison. It shouldn't affect defensive prospects and hopefully other offensive prospects, but his QB's at USC while he was there was horrendous. Barkley went from a #1 draft pick to a 4th round nobody. Both QB's this year, even though young, were awful while Lane was there. They only improved once he left.
Hopefully his work this year will change some opinions of him. I don't expect him to be at Bama long, whether he takes another job or fired. So, I won't sweat it too much. We have plenty of QB's now and hopefully Cornwell is the real deal.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning

I'm not so much worried about Town's decommitment as I am that it probably had to do with Kiffin being the coach here. If other top QB prospects feel the same way, that will deter a lot of good prospects. I'm still afraid that Kiffin's reputation is poison. It shouldn't affect defensive prospects and hopefully other offensive prospects, but his QB's at USC while he was there was horrendous. Barkley went from a #1 draft pick to a 4th round nobody. Both QB's this year, even though young, were awful while Lane was there. They only improved once he left.
Hopefully his work this year will change some opinions of him. I don't expect him to be at Bama long, whether he takes another job or fired. So, I won't sweat it too much. We have plenty of QB's now and hopefully Cornwell is the real deal.
That's not the feeling I get. Sometimes people just don't "mesh" and that seems to be the case here. It happens to Saban and parents too. There are plenty of 2015 QB's who like Kiffin and plenty of time. We will sign a good one. But our head coach has decided the benefits of hiring Kiffin outweigh what one or two HS kids or their parents might think of him.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Regarding the decommitment from Town:

Who is to say if he would have actually stuck regardless, but the transfer from Jacob Coker essentially blew his plans out of the water. Town committed to Alabama under the premise that, by enrolling early, he would have a legitimate chance at competing head-to-head with Cornwell for the starting job in 2015, but that's not likely to happen now that the Coker news has (finally) become official. The thinking by him and his family is essentially that if he's going to have to sit on the bench waiting for playing time anyway, he might as well stay at home at USC and wait it out behind Max Browne. The people who really believe that his defection had something to do with the Lane Kiffin hire are just seriously misplaced.

In any event, as for Town, best of luck to him. He seems like a fine young man and personally I thought he handled the de-commitment and flip as well as possible. Hope he does well in Southern California.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I hate to see him go, but it is what it is. Best of luck to him at SC. I knew there would be fans that would say it was the Kiffin hire....smh, why do these people continue to believe the hype coming from Lee County???:rolleyes:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
hate we lost him, but with such a quick turnaround to SC, I don't know that he would've stuck regardless of OCs and QBs.

He'll have a fine career and be picked high in the draft, but I doubt he gets a ring.

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
Even though it did not turn out in our favor, the kid has continued to handle his recruitment with nothing but class. Can't blame him for wanting to play for his hometown team and for a solid QB coach like Sark. This one doesn't hurt my feelings too much because I think this decision was more about playing for his childhood team more than anything.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
According to al.com, he decommitted by sending Coach Saban. I hate to sound like an old fart, but that seems like a conversation you should have via phone at least. I guess I'm just old.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
According to al.com, he decommitted by sending Coach Saban. I hate to sound like an old fart, but that seems like a conversation you should have via phone at least. I guess I'm just old.
I'm 23 and thought that was a little low. I read the AJC article about it, and the Town's say it's hard to get in touch with Saban. That's fine. Pick up the phone and call an assistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.