2015 QB Ricky Town Decommits from Alabama, Flips to USC

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Re: *** 2015 QB Ricky Town Commits to Alabama ***

From everything I've read and heard, the week long visit to T-Town scheduled in April by Town and his family is off, and Bama is no longer a player in his recruitment. USC is firmly in the driver's seat after Town's recent unofficial visit.
Curious, where did you read this?

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
Re: Bama Loses Potential Recruit Ricky Town

i am not surprised. with the possible addition of coker, a bevy of high level recruits in camp, and the hiring of a head coach, that is a off coordinator, and qb coach to boot, why wouldnt this young man stay home and compete locally. i am sure kiffin went out to the coast and talked to him, and he had misgivings then. then coach saban stopped by. i think we have enough talent at qb until the 2016 class.

BamaBeta

All-SEC
Sep 18, 2008
Atlanta

This is not as big as it seems at first glance IMO. There may be a bit of a log jam in the next three to four years for us and the possiblity of earlier playing time at USC may be the draw. We could get him back, or we may just sign someone else. Either way, the coaching staff is going to focus on closing out 2014 with an eye on what is coming in 2015.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

This one does surprise me. He and his family both have seemed infatuated by Bama, and it's especially surprising that it's so soon after he had announced he would be an early enrollee for us. I can't imagine that we are completely out of the race considering we still have a full year to make up ground, but as Relayer said earlier it is tough to pull those Cali qb's off the west coast, especially when you run as "boring" of an offense as Bama does.

(and by boring I mean lack of statistical attention due to running a pro style/ run oriented offense. A quarterback won't win many Heismans in our offense)

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I'm really not getting why people think the possibility of getting Coker would make a 2015 kid change his mind. Coker will have 2 years max. If he does start he could leave after one year. It's far more likely USC is where he wanted to go and the coaching change got him to reconsider the Trojans.

Last edited:

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

If he is infatuated with USCw, that's OK. Wish the kid luck and go from there. Of course, if Coker comes and is the starting QB for 2 years, the 2015 QB would be a RS Fr and in a very good position to become the starter.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

I'm really not getting why people think the possibility of getting Coker would make a 2015 kid change his mind. Coker will have 2 years max. If he does start he could leave after one year. It's far more likely USC is where he wanted to go and the coaching change got him to reconsider the Trojans.
i agree. we've had Cornwell for months. I seriously doubt the thought of us getting a Jr QB would make a QB in high school change his mind.

Crimsongator

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2003
Hills of North Georgia

If Coker does come and wins the job as many think he will AND Cornwell is as good as some think, Town may not have started until his Jr or Sr year. Now, nobody knows if Coker or Cornwell will pan out but, if they do, signing an elite QB in 2015 is not necessary. If Town decommited b/c of Coker and Cornwell, we don't want him anyway. If you are affraid to compete, you probably won't survive....
Well, you know, competition is what it is all about

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Probably doesn't like Kiffin to be quite honest. Picked us over any USC interest close to home then decommitted after the reshuffling. That's fair...sometimes you just like a certain philosophy in offense and he is making a 4-5 year commitment.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

We all wish you well with a injury free career & hope you succeed wherever you play college football..Unless you play against Bama that is..

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

You are probably right about Kiffin, may have been the real reason DelRio left also. Everybody has their own reasons.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

The Kid is young and there is still plenty of time. He might change his mind a couple more times before his signing date. Whatever it is, Ricky Town needs to do whats best for him. Good luck Ricky.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I hate to hear it too, but California is a long way from Bama. When I hear about a kid from that far away committing I'm always a little leary if they'll follow through...especially in this day an age of flip flopping.

We'll be ok!

James Teasdale

Suspended
Jan 5, 2014

If you think about it, Bama is incredibly fortunate to continue to get #1 rated classes, with top-rated talent not only willing to compete for playing time, but in many cases willing to wait several seasons just to see the field.
Fortune has very little to do with it. A lot of hard work and planning goes into each class.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama

We can't get everyone, and I am not complaining about the players we do get. I became a season ticket holder in 2006. Could I have picked a better time? We will have a great class come Febuary! RTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

Probably doesn't like Kiffin to be quite honest. Picked us over any USC interest close to home then decommitted after the reshuffling. That's fair...sometimes you just like a certain philosophy in offense and he is making a 4-5 year commitment.
I think this nails it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.