2015 QB Ricky Town Decommits from Alabama, Flips to USC

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Re: Bama Loses Potential Recruit Ricky Town

Sounds like Kiffin is costing us dearly. I hope he's worth it.
IMO, there could be several reasons why he has decommitted, and it is still a ways away, so I will not pretend to guess why. To say early playing time did not factor into his decision would be an error, though, again IMO.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Del Rio leaving and a two-year player coming in who would get him to RS Sophomore (when you'd like to start new QBs at the earliest in most situations) shouldn't be swaying him away. I think it is more likely that he simply prefers the Sarkisian/Nussmeier QBC and OC approach to Kiffin's. It says a lot that he never considered USC seriously until the recent coaching carousal movement. Specifically with us losing Nuss, USC gaining a HC who employed Nuss before Alabama, and Alabama gaining USC's former HC Kiffin. Again, it is nothing against the kid. He needs to find the staff combination and position coach he is comfortable with making a long-term commitment. QB is a finicky position when it comes to head coaching, coordinator, and QB coach changes. I knew we were practically going to have to re-recruit Ricky Town into the new staff's approach and he just wasn't buying what we were selling.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

I'm really not getting why people think the possibility of getting Coker would make a 2015 kid change his mind. Coker will have 2 years max. If he does start he could leave after one year. It's far more likely USC is where he wanted to go and the coaching change got him to reconsider the Trojans.
If Cornwell grabs the job and doesn't let go, then Town could have had to wait as long as three years if DC redshirts. That played a role, IMO. Just a really crowded looking depth chart. I was hoping it wouldn't scare him away, but maybe it did - or didn't and other places just look better.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Seem to have a tough time holding onto players from California but early reports indicated Town and family were really set for him to play at Bama. Looks like a really good prospect; hate to lose out on this one.

Hopefully the current and future Bama QB's will make us forget any that got away.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

According to al.com, Ricky Town, 5 star recruit decided he does not want to play in T'town. I apologize to everyone because I have no idea how to post a link with an IPad.
Town's saw the potential of a star QB transferring to Alabama, and another red-shirt QB coming in and likely being ahead of him.
Hand writing on the wall sez he's likely to get more playing time at USCw than at Alabama...
Pretty simple really.

Last edited:

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Re: 2015 QB Ricky Town Commits to USC

"2015 QB Ricky Town Commits To USC" in less than 24 hours after de-committing from Bama

http://usc.247sports.com/
That was to be expected. Admittedly, Sark has a way of making average quarterbacks look like all-stars, so no telling what he can do with a stud like Town. Plus, being a USC quarterback seems to guarantee being taken in the first 3 rounds of the draft no matter the skill set, so I can't say that this is a bad move for Town. I wish him well personally, and hope he never surpasses 7 wins.

LagunaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 6, 2013

oh, i thought from previous experience, this should be on the recruiting board. guess not. lol

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Exactly

Don't we have a recruiting board too?

This is THE Bama fball board. As far as I know RT is a Trojan recruit now. I want the best to come to Bama but we can't get them all. Our QB situation has been a scary spot and soon it may be one of the most promising. Have faith or just go ahead and swim cause this ship ain't sinking anytime soon.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Re: 2015 QB Ricky Town Commits to USC

That was to be expected. Admittedly, Sark has a way of making average quarterbacks look like all-stars, so no telling what he can do with a stud like Town. Plus, being a USC quarterback seems to guarantee being taken in the first 3 rounds of the draft no matter the skill set, so I can't say that this is a bad move for Town.
Might help to be aware of why Town committed to 'Bama in the first place, then decided to "stay home:"

The Trojans have held a commitment from 2015 quarterback David Sills (Elkton, Md./Eastern Christian Academy) for nearly four years, but Sills gave his pledge to former coach Lane Kiffin, now the offensive coordinator at Alabama.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Re: *** 2015 QB Ricky Town Commits to USC ***

Better to find out now. Good luck to him.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Exactly

Don't we have a recruiting board too?
When I start thinking I have a handle on which topic belongs on which board - trying to be a good site "citizen" - something like this one reminds me I don't. Figured this one was headed to Recruiting within moments, yet here it remains, a day later.

Still, this is the best Alabama fan site by far . .

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.