Question: Payment to star players?

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I was watching a rerun of SEC Tonight just now and Brady Ackerman came up with a great solution to this amateur-status problem. He suggested the NCAA adopt International Olympic Committee (IOC) rules adopted in the 1980's whereby an athlete cannot be paid for participating in their sport but if they can make revenue away from the sport, go for it. He gave the example of Michael Phelps hawking Subway. He gets paid and the integrity of the sport remains.

I think it is a brilliant way for the star players to make money and the market forces determining which players are utilized. This would also help cash strapped universities from having to come up with cash to pay their players. Let the market determine which players earn money.

Last edited:

bamacpa70

1st Team
Nov 17, 2003
Roanoke, VA
I can see it now, every Oregon football player would have their own personal shoe deal & clothing line with Nike, personally negotiated by Phil Knight, himself. No telling how T. Boone Pickens could manipulate the market.

Pandora's box, bro.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
I was watching a rerun of SEC Tonight just now and Brady Ackerman came up with a great solution to this amateur-status problem. He suggested the NCAA adopt International Olympic Committee (IOC) rules adopted in the 1980's whereby an athlete cannot be paid for participating in their sport but if they can make revenue away from the sport, go for it. He gave the example of Michael Phelps hawking Subway. He gets paid and the integrity of the sport remains. See link below.

I think it is a brilliant way for the star players to make money and the market forces determining which players are utilized. This would also help cash strapped universities from having to come up with cash to pay their players. Let the market determine which players earn money.

www.csssports.com/blog/bradys-blackboard/cure-summer-blues-brady-solution
I like it too. I agree that something like this should be implemented. But we gotta be careful that schools don't abuse it. How do we be sure that a booster of a school (who owns a company) gives that player an "endorsement"? There's gotta be a way to do that.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I think it is quite sad how the value of an education is so worthless to so many in our society now that we try and convince ourselves that these college kids must be paid to play a sport at the school they attend.

Many high schools around the country make a lot of money off of football and other sports, should those high school players be compensated for that as well?

I'm sorry but, I will always be 100% against paying college athletes anything. The free education should be enough IMO. For those that are talented enough, the NFL will be there for your payday. For those who are not, the education earned will provide you the opportunity to earn a living after college. Now, if the NCAA wants to increase stipends so the players have some extra "coke" money, I'm fine with that. Endorsements are a bad idea IMO.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This would also help cash strapped universities from having to come up with cash to pay their players. Let the market determine which players earn money.
How about this, the cash strapped universities can cut back on their athletic department, perhaps their football program?

They want to spend with the Alabamas of the world, but in order to do so they want the Alabamas to be held back....

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
What happens when a select few get paid and the rest don't?
There would be jealousy on the team. There would be divisiveness instead of UNITY on a team unless ALL get in on the action. If some got more than others, there would still be a lack of UNITY, cohesiveness.

Because of that, it would be hard to win. I agree with the poster regarding Oregon and Oklahoma State (T. Boone Pickens). Some schools would have more CLOUT than others because of the wealth of Boosters like Mr. Nike?!.? and T. Boone P.

I guess you could get rid of their scholarships and just pay them. Let them pay to go to school with those BIG Bucks.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
And the NCAA will be monitoring this , correct ?
The NCAA is a joke. Many key people in enforcement have left the NCAA in the past year. Mr. Johnny Football will be playing this year because the
NCAA will be unable to prove he did anything wrong (whether he did or not). If he is found to be guilty, Bama will be penalized for
his infractions. That's just the way the NCAA works.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I can see it now, every Oregon football player would have their own personal shoe deal & clothing line with Nike, personally negotiated by Phil Knight, himself. No telling how T. Boone Pickens could manipulate the market.

Pandora's box, bro.
and that is exactly why they don't allow it. Boosters would be promissing high school kids endorsement deals for joining their schools. UT kids would have pilot travel center deals, Auburn kids doing ads for yellow wood etc. Pandora's box indeed

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Michael Phelps got paid to swim. The world championships has prize money. Same goes for track and field. Usain Bolt, for example, gets a six figure appearance fee for many track meets, not to mention prize money for winning.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Michael Phelps got paid to swim. The world championships has prize money. Same goes for track and field. Usain Bolt, for example, gets a six figure appearance fee for many track meets, not to mention prize money for winning.
I think amateurism in Olympics went away a while ago. At least with the dream team if not before.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
And along those lines I think you have a logical way to reward players financially.

Have the organizers of all post season football games, provide a pool to pay the players from. The winning players from any bowl game, conference championship game, etc... would be paid their cut. I imagine you'd give a lesser sum to the players from the losing side. It wouldn't have to be a crazy sum, but imagine if players were told, for instance, that they'd get 10,000 for winning the BCSCG. That would put the emphasis on winning wouldn't it?

It's also somewhat fair and logical, because these games are in essence additional demands on their time. They are under an athletic scholarship, but for instance one player only has to play the regular season, while in the future an SEC player might have the SECCG, then both round of the playoffs. It makes sense to compensate them for the additional games.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Performance based incentives....I like it..

If it were to happen, my only request would be that if they're gonna use the guys to do any speaking that they get them speech/acting coaches. The Zow/Prothro T-Town Fashions commercial is a running joke within my circle

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I was watching a rerun of SEC Tonight just now and Brady Ackerman came up with a great solution to this amateur-status problem. He suggested the NCAA adopt International Olympic Committee (IOC) rules adopted in the 1980's whereby an athlete cannot be paid for participating in their sport but if they can make revenue away from the sport, go for it. He gave the example of Michael Phelps hawking Subway. He gets paid and the integrity of the sport remains.

It would double Notre Dames built in recruiting advantage.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.