Mark Emmert: NCAA Will Stop Selling Player Merchandise Immediately

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The NCAA called a teleconference today. Here's the big news:

@DanWolkennow
Wow. Emmert says the NCAA shouldn't be in the business of selling jerseys. "We are exiting that business."

@DanWolkennow
Emmert: "I can't speak to why we entered into that enterprise but it’s not appropriate for us and we’re going to exit it."

@DanWolkennow
Emmert: "I certainly understand how people can see that as hypocritical."

@DanWolkennow
Emmert says his understanding is NCAA made no money off that online store. Was an aggregator site.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I was wondering when it was gonna come to this. I think they're gonna have to ban players signing autographs as well, except maybe at sanctioned events IE "Fan Day"

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Case of closing the barn door ..... Of course, this will not help them in current court proceedings by past and present players which may, very well, be certified as a class action case.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I was wondering when it was gonna come to this. I think they're gonna have to ban players signing autographs as well, except maybe at sanctioned events IE "Fan Day"
Note, this is just NCAASports.com. Yesterday, Jay Bilas discovered a shopper can go to the site, use the search function and find a player's memorabilia although it doesn't say the player's name.

@dennisdoddcbs Mark Emmert says that http://NCAASports.com is basically done as a business. Will continue selling NCAA-related gear.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not sure they have the legal right to impose an autograph ban.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Case of closing the barn door ....
My thought exactly.

They should have had the common sense to make this decision a long time ago, and not waited until they were called out over it.

Sometimes I wonder if the clowns running the NCAA get bonuses for making bad decisions.

Last edited:

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I'm really hoping that o'bannon wins this suit and simply crushes the ncaa. if people think the colleges make money off the star athletes, they really have no idea. the ncaa is a billion dollar industry built on the backs of kids. just a little more rant, there should be better stipends and yes, better per diem for student athletes. i've never been in college (other than online) so i can't say what it's really like, or if there are other priveleges that i'm missing out on, but for what they are expected to do, all while expected to hit the regular books with everyone else, maybe they do need to make an extra penny. i can't imagine they can maintain a job after school, practice, breath, and go to class.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I'm really hoping that o'bannon wins this suit and simply crushes the ncaa. if people think the colleges make money off the star athletes, they really have no idea. the ncaa is a billion dollar industry built on the backs of kids. just a little more rant, there should be better stipends and yes, better per diem for student athletes. i've never been in college (other than online) so i can't say what it's really like, or if there are other priveleges that i'm missing out on, but for what they are expected to do, all while expected to hit the regular books with everyone else, maybe they do need to make an extra penny. i can't imagine they can maintain a job after school, practice, breath, and go to class.
Every move by the NCAA has been in response to the O'bannon suit. He may just be able to do what I have advocated for years. I have been called out for my views of the NCAA on here in the past, now some are looking at it a little differently.

The arrogant actions of the NCAA brought on this action. EVERY DOG HAS HIS DAY?

So the $$$$$ made off allowing daddy scam get away with it for tv ratings was it worth it?

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I wonder if they will sell out their current gear and not produce anymore, or if they will remove their gear off the website immediately and eat their losses. If they try to sell out their current stock, they will probably have some killer sales over the next few months. Will this affect Bill Battles company at all?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.