Invitation to Bama Fans - RE A&M Game

100ProofBowtie

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 13, 2011
Good Morning Bama fans

I want to let you guys know that I was treated extremely well last year in Tuscaloosa by all ages from the tailgate to the game to the strip. I make it my goal that visiting fans returning to college station are treated the same way, so I want to extend an invitation and guide to College Station...

Before I start, a few landmarks I should point out. Northgate is the largest bar district in town. It is about 25-30 bars on university avenue that backs up to campus. about a mile walk from kyle field. Main campus is where kyle field is. West campus is across wellborn road which is home to the bulk of tailgaters on gameday. spence park is the park right next to your visitors section and has thousands of tailgaters on gameday.

restaurants/local eateries that i like:
fargo's bbq -- best bbq in the area.
freebirds - monster burritos that you make yourself. on northgate.
la bodega - great baja tacos and tex-mex on northgate.
napa flats -- italian and wine bar
cafe eccell - a little higher end, but wonderful food and award winning desserts on northgate.
kyoto sushi -- northgate sake bar
atami sushi -- university drive
antonio's pizza - boston style pizza on northgate
chimys -- great margaritas and appetizers... entrees are meh
fuego -- 24 hour taco service -- drunk food, but wonderful, lots of tail running around here at 3 am.
republic steakhouse -- if you want an expensive dinner but really good steak, try here. they have the creme de la creme of bourbons on barrell taps there.
c & j's bbq -- texas bbq
rudy's bbq -- see above
koppe bridge -- best burgers in town and the beer is ice cold
cafe capri -- higher end, but great
christophers -- higher end like republic and an intimate atmosphere
Blackwater Draw Brewery -- new Microbrewery on Northgate that serves food

Bars (most on northgate):
corner bar -- 3 story bar with a rooftop bar on northgate
dixie chicken -- staple of northgate that sells an *** ton of beer per square foot (northgate). they just put in a microbrew bar in the back that has 10 taps of selected microbrews.
dry bean shot saloon -- 250 shots on menu (northgate)
schotzi's -- live music outside and inside on northgate
the ranch -- rooftop bar, good drinks
church st bbq & blues -- live music, good bbq
barber shots -- shot bar like dry bean
daisy dukes -- dancing, young college girls
obannons -- irish pub with 100 beers available on northgate
BlackWater Draw Brewery -- microbrewery

paddock lane -- low key, good service on northgate
tipsy turtle -- daquiri bar new orleans style on northgate
the backyard -- live music venue that has full service food and bar (2 story)
315 shot bar -- like dry bean on northgate
madhatters -- 80s bar with a back porch and tall beers on northgate
basil whippets -- apothecary lounge (two story) on northgate
logans -- sports bar with 44 oz. beers on northgate
v bar -- more greek crowd, dancing
gatsbys -- dancing, small (on northgate)
hookah lounge -- hookah bar that serves booze on northgate
cedar lane -- new bar with plenty of outdoor seating and an interesting "wake me up" drink that will make you forget 10 minutes ago.
rebel draft house -- new draft house right next to cedar lane ... has over 50 beers on draft and even more bottled beer
hurricane harrys -- country dancing on northgate
the tap -- my favorite bar not on northgate (harvey road)... cheap drinks, good food
fox and hound -- tons of beers on tap on university drive
carneys -- on south college on bryan/college station line
ptarmigan -- bryan staple with cheap flaming dr. peppers
downtown bryan -- 4 or so bars in a revamped downtown that has live music most every night and good eating as well. about 20 minutes from campus.

Random sights of college station:
george bush sr. library -- on west campus
messina hof winery -- you can also lodge here, but the view in the garden is fantastic and you can dine here as well.
bonfire memorial -- on main campus (pretty emotional memorial for those of us who were in school when the 12 students died in 1999).

Golf:
traditions country club (nicklaus designed course....home of texas a&m golf -- 2009 national champions)
miramont country club (private, but can drive by it... robert trent jones course... beautiful!)

There are some cheaper options like bryan muni, bluebonnet in navasota, pebble creek in college station (decent), briarcrest in bryan (decent)

Tailgating/gameday: our crew usually arrives around 630-7 am (lots open at 630 am) and we tailgate in lot 100 on the southeast side of reed arena. i've attached the parking map. i suggest reed arena or spence park. you won't be able to park at reed, but across the street is the wcg (west campus parking garage). you can drop your stuff off on the curb at reed and set up in the grass with everyone else, but you'll have to park in the garage. it is $15. don't park in the green cash lots way out on west campus. its a long walk or shuttle and its for the few folks who come in and out. you can reserve a spot through tailgate guys on simpson field (prepay and they set it up for you.. .much like your quad)

Reed arena and west campus - largest concentration of tailgaters. west campus. party buses, rvs, larger tailgate spreads, bands, etc. home to most of the rv lots (lot 100, penberthy, olsen rv lot, lot 88, lot 74 are the rv lots on west campus). lot 50 is another rv lot on main campus. northgate is on university drive across from campus lots 30a, 30c and northgate parking garage... it spans about 4 blocks.

spence park - large concentration of tailgaters on the east side of kyle field. lots of fun, mostly a younger crowd. cannot park here, must drop stuff off and park in garages or across the street.

Duncan field - where most alumni club tailgates of visiting fans are... also the same place that the fraternities and sororities tailgate. band/corps march-in - from the corps quad in through the east side of kyle field by spence park. it starts 1.5 hours before gametime.

parking map:
http://transport.tamu.edu/spec...ll/football.pdf rv parking map:
http://transport.tamu.edu/specialevents/football.a spx#rv
Duncan field is in pink at the bottom. my tailgating lot is 100g (lot e) by reed. feel free to come by. Shoot me a pm and i'll give you my contact info. If you have any other questions, i'm here to help out.

as for joining our crew. we really don't have any rules. we are on the rowdy side with loud speakers, huge smokers and "games" but we do range from early 20s to early 60s so there are is a nice mix of people. if you'd like to find out more, just hit me up in my inbox.

FWIW, we had over 50 UF fans and 100 LSU fans at our tailgate last year, and everyone got along great. The GatorTailgating group even put out an article on how welcomed they were to the tailgate and across town. I can promise you won't be walking into a hornets nest. Everyone around us is more into making sure you are full and have plenty to drink than talking trash.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Re: Invitation to Bama Fans

Thanks Bowtie, fantastic job providing info for visitors. Sounds like you guys have a great time!

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

Thanks Bowtie for the info. We will be staying in the Woodlands area of north Houston on Friday night. How long do you think it will take to drive up to College Station on Saturday morning?

100ProofBowtie

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 13, 2011

Thanks Bowtie for the info. We will be staying in the Woodlands area of north Houston on Friday night. How long do you think it will take to drive up to College Station on Saturday morning?
I live in the Woodlands. I'd go up 45 to 336 to 2854 to 105 (all the way to Navasota) then up 6. It will take about 1:15 to 1:30 depending on how early you leave.

100ProofBowtie

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 13, 2011
Ticket deals are really hard to come by. I've seen a pack of 3 tickets and parking pass go for $5k on one site.

As I recommended, I'd suggest West Campus parking garage by Lot E or H (100), but if you want to drop your stuff off in Spence Park, its much like the Quad or the Grove. It's right by the stadium and you'll be parking a ways off (think walking from Soccer fields to the Quad). I'd also drop your stuff off on Friday when they blow the horn, but if you can't get there by noon, when you get in, try to find a spot.

Here's a picture for reference.

Redstripe

3rd Team
Dec 26, 2012
Foley, Alabama
Bowtie, My wife and I will be coming in from Houston on Saturday morning early. If the West Campus Garage is full when we get there, around 8, what would be our next best bet for parking? Thank you for the info, it's very helpful. We are going to try to come by and see you guys by Reed Arena for awhile that day.

RammerJammer91

1st Team
Nov 27, 2012
I grew up in Massachusetts, and Antonio's Pizza is amazing. Unbelievable selection. Best Pizza I've ever had. For those that are making the trip for the game, I HIGHLY recommend going there to grab a couple of slices. You won't regret it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.