Poll: What Bama player will finish highest in the Heisman voting this year?

What Bama player will finish highest in the Heisman voting this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
On topic I agree with most that if we go 13-0 and A.J. has stats around 3,500 yrds 30-35 TD's and less than say 6-8 Ints then it will be a landslide win.

Off topic slightly I feel Trent was the best player in 2011 and should have won but the loss to LSU coupled with the coaches not having him in situations to win that game running the ball in the redzone cost him the stiff arm and opened the door for RGIII.

Furthermore if no one thinks Ingram wasn't the clear cut best player needs to re-watch the 2009 season or at least Ingram's highlights. Tebow pulled some southern votes, Gerhart ran against weak Pac-12 teams, Colt grabbed the southwest votes, and Suh got the Midwest and lets vote for a defensive guy votes. Lots of regional biasis were involved. If Tebow isn't such a popular player in the South the vote would not have been so close.

Mark totally deserved to win it and was THE MVP of that only undefeated NC team in this run. To retroactively minimize his season and accomplishment is pretty insulting and shows a very short term memory at best. Again go watch 2009 Ingram highlights and convince me he wasn't the best and didn't deserve it.

Last edited:

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'll just throw out that RGIII's backup, Nick Florence, had very comparable stats last season as RGIII did his Heisman year. Without a first round pick at WR. I think they would have done pretty much the same. Maybe a one or two game difference seeing as they just won 8 games without him and I don't think they added much to the team.

And it took RGIII overtime to beat a terrible Kansas team and he only put up 24 points on a not so great OSU defense, one touchdown coming with 1 minute left in a complete blowout.

RGIII was a great player and had a terrific season, but I really doubt they would have finished 4-7 without him.

And I really don't think that the quality of a player's backup should determine if they should win the Heisman. That's like saying Ingram shouldn't have gotten it because Trent was just as capable as a backup.

Trent Richardson - as much as I loved him - was not the best player in the country in 2011. I think the Heisman is an overrated trophy for the most part anyway (though they've gotten better) but here's the formula I use:

Take TR off 2011 Alabama - they still win the national championship. Only the LSU game was even close and since we lost the first one we cannot say Richardson was the difference.

Now take RG3 off of Baylor - they got from 8-3 to 4-7 or worse. Thus, it's RG3 as the winner.

I do, however, agree with you regarding the overrated Honey Badger.

And also the idiots who voted for Ndamukong Suh in 2011 based solely on one game.

Last edited:

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
AJ and TJ will split those voting for Bama players, the University will promote neither, and some other school takes home the Heisman.

Hope I'm wrong.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I understand the concern of A.J. and T.J. Splitting votes but there have been great RB seasons on a team where the QB still won.

2007 comes to mind where Percy Harvin was on the preseason watch list and had 1,600+ all-purpose yrds and 10 TD's yet Tebow won handily.
Leinart and Bush also played together when Leinart won. Also Demarco Murray had 1,400 all-Purpose yards and 18 TD's in 2008 when Sam Bradford won the Heisman.

So I don't think Yeldon having a great year will cost A.J. at all. A.J. was on the cusp of getting an invite if not win it last year if not for the A&M loss. The people that know football realize how great he is and that his stats are kept in check by playing within our balanced pro-style attack.

All he has to do is be on par or better with last years stats and get us to 13-0 and he's got it locked up. No way a guy has two stellar seasons in a row in the SEC and plays for a 3-peat and 4 out of 5 NC's and doesn't get the trophy.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I'm going to say TJ this year. He drew enough attention to himself last year to catch the eye of the voters, yet not enough to set unrealistic expectations. I know we are deep at RB, but TJ is the only known commodity we have so I figure he gets the bulk of the reps. (by "known commodity" I am referring to the injury issues of Fowler and Hart, the lack of meaningful time for Drake, and the youth of the remainder of the backfield) I'm thinking that TJ will get around 60-65% of the teams carries this year, and will eclipse the 1500 yard mark. He also needs to have that Heisman moment under the lights, very similar to the LSU screen pass last year in Baton Rouge. If he does those two things, I think he will not only be in NYC, but also he will be top 2 in the voting.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
The last few years, the Heisman winner was someone that wasn't on any preseason Heisman radars. I think Bradford was the last time a preseason favorite took it.

Anyway, for this question, I went with AJ.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I said AJ because I believe he is the Best player on the Best Team. I really like TJ but with the utmost respect, he is not Trent, not yet. He can be & may even be better just not there yet. Also, all this Deliverence Boy stuff, may push the voters to an older player this year.

But honestly with the power ESPN yields, they will chose the front runners, honey badger was not even the best player on LSU's defense, but he was there.

ESPN needs a story to attach to it, and AJ will need a signature big win, that means more than stats.

If Amari Cooper ran back kick offs & punts he would pass both AJ & TJ but Coach knows what he's doing.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Coach Saban loves AJ. It's clear. They have a special bond and relationship. However, I don't see CNS keeping AJ in the game to boost his stats to make sure he gets a personal award. Matter of fact, I see CNS taking AJ out as soon as he can just to get Blake and Alec more game time reps. Or he won't let AJ throw the ball much if the game is out of hand.

TJ is the leader at RB, but the stable is loaded. I'm not sure he'll get the necessary stats to get enough votes to get to NYC for similar reasons to AJ.

My answer to the question would be AJ solely on the fact he can QB a 11+ win team for three straight years. With good stats, the media will "honor" him by giving him the votes. Not saying he'll win it, but I feel the media will give him the career respect votes.

Regardless who it is, it seems our players don't really care about the award. I know TJ said he wants to be the best back ever at Bama, but to me that is just him wanting to be best he can be. I think the Sabanism is really ingrained into these players. Would I like for someone at Bama to win the award again, you bet, but I feel 1000x better when we win it all.

WsN

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 15, 2013
When he wins his 3rd straight title, AJ's gotta win it right? I don't know if any other QB in NCAA history lead his team to three straight titles as a starter (correct me if I am wrong). At least in the modern era.
Unfortunately, the Heisman is for the best player for that year. However, it would be hard to not think about what AJ accomplished when that 3rd straight title is won.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
The biggest thing AJ has going for him to win is the two big games right off of the bat. Blow out Va Tech and beat the team that beat you last year ranked in the top 10, AJ will probably be at the top of the charts. And like polls, you tend not to drop unless you lose or someone comes out of nowhere with an amazing performance.

hud697

Oct 23, 2012
I dont see how they couldnt give it to AJ if he puts up solid numbers this year(which shouldnt be a problem), the kid has had a dream of a college career, has never brought on any kind of negative attention to himself, his family, his team, or university. I remember watching him play in h.s. thinking he was something special. When he commited, i told everyone i knew he would be the greatest QB Alabama has ever seen.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm like lots of the others...if Bama runs the table it goes to AJ hands down. The only way I could imagine a different Bama player finishing higher than AJ would be if Bama has a slightly off year and is out of contention for the title.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.