Running Back Depth Chart

rhm54

1st Team
Nov 30, 2006
Earlier this week Coach Saban stated:

"I think all the running backs are really good, the freshmen, and I think they'll all be able to contribute," Saban said Tuesday. "Some of the guys who are showing a little bit more maturity and learning and being able to sustain performance, which I think is going to help their development and it's going to help them be able to contribute and play."
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/08/spotlight_on_alabama_freshman_7.html

With that said, what do you see our depth chart looking like when the season starts?

My guess

1. TJ Yeldon
2. Jalston Fowler
3. Derrick Henry
4. Altee Tenpenny
5. Kenyan Drake
6. Alvin Kamara
7. Dee Hart
8. Tyren Jones

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I think Fowler will be situational, so he's tough to put on the depth chart anywhere, except you can say he'll see a lot of time at different spots. I believe the backup right now is Drake. After that is a dogfight.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm not sure Fowler has a solid spot on the depth chart (insert joke about Coach Saban's depth chart). He's going to be used at RB, FB, and H-Back. His spot depends on the situation.

My guess:

TJ - no reason needed
Drake - his experience plays a big factor
Henry - spring drills coming in handy for him
Hart - just by where he's in line during drills
Tenpenny - CNS and others are giving high praise
Jones - running drills while Kamara is out with his injury
Kamara - missing time with his injury and rehab

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
1. TJ Yeldon
2. Kenyan Drake
3. Derrick Henry
4. Dee Hart

Nudie will be on the field a lot but I don't think he will be playing a lot of running back. Tenpenny, Jones and Kamara will play a lot on special teams and some mop up at running back in blowouts. Kamara may redshirt depending on his knee.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm not sure Fowler has a solid spot on the depth chart (insert joke about Coach Saban's depth chart). He's going to be used at RB, FB, and H-Back. His spot depends on the situation.

My guess:

TJ - no reason needed
Pretty much agree with this. I do think Henry or Tenpenny (probably Henry) will overtake drake for #2 spot sometime during the year.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

My guess:

TJ - no reason needed
Thats what I thought, I really think Drake missed a good opportunity when he got pulled in the IB, you could just see he was going to score & that would have been a record defeat. I know we are going to have some bangs & brushes but it really looks like we have a great group to plug in.
Also, I really think we get up by so much you see a lot of players, it's going to look like the stats sheet when CPB was running the wishbone, haha.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Right now it sounds like the H-B/TE situation has pushed Jalston Fowler more towards a FB/H-B type who may get a handful of carries. At any rate, I think Fowler is going to have a huge role in the base offense sets.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
We're going to be unintentionally running the score up. Late in the game, who is going to feel like tackling these mop up rbs. Geeze.

I remember near the end of that game, Saban mouthing the words "Just tackle the guy," as we broke another long run for our seventh TD. That was fun.
That may had been when Lacy broke a long one. He didn't want to run it up because he was playing against a good friend, he doesn't want to run it up period. I wish I would had went to
That game. It was a sign of things to come.

4th and goal punt!

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
That may had been when Lacy broke a long one. He didn't want to run it up because he was playing against a good friend, he doesn't want to run it up period. I wish I would had went to
That game. It was a sign of things to come.

4th and goal punt!
Mom & me bought tickets for our kids they are grown, it was their first Bama game. They still talk about it.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
It's going be like playing Michigan State. Every time you put one in he breaks it for a long one. Even look at Drake last year.
I remember near the end of that game, Saban mouthing the words "Just tackle the guy," as we broke another long run for our seventh TD. That was fun.
The one 'n' only Bama game I've ever had the blessing of attending.

Needless to say, the memories will be w me forever...

And after the reception I got from Bama fans there - when they found out that a guy from Canada has been a fan since the '70's, and that he came down to Florida to see them play - Tuscaloosa is next on the list! :smile:

Last edited:
The one 'n' only Bama game I've ever had the blessing of attending.

Needless to say, the memories will be w me forever...

And after the reception I got from Bama fans there - when they found out that a guy from Canada has been a fan since the '70's, and that he came down to Florida to see them play - Tuscaloosa is next on the list! :smile:
I should had gone. Had some people from my hometown down telling me it was a great day with Michigan State fans.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
My guess is TJ, Henry, Drake, Hart and then another freshman. I think Fowler will get reps here and there but won't be on the RB depth chart per se. I think Henry comes in for TJ with Fowler blocking.

Maybe Fowler gets some carries via fullback dive.

Cant wait!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Something to remember - the RBs have to be able to pass protect. If Henry can't do that, he won't be jumping anyone.

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
I know that there is a Darwinian aspect to the depth chart, at any position, but I want to see Kenyan Drake get a lot of carries in 2013, regardless of the competition. Yes, we need tough runners who can fight for the hard yards inside - and Drake is mostly an outside runner - but he is the real deal. If you look at video clips from his high school performances, you will see the vision and explosiveness.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.