Montgomery Gets ESPN-Owned Bowl Game Between the MAC and Sun Belt

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

The city of Montgomery has landed an ESPN-owned bowl game pairing the Sun Belt against the Mid-American Conference, according to industry sources with knowledge of the information. An announcement will be made this afternoon in Montgomery.

The game will be owned by ESPN Regional Television and begin in 2014 at the Cramton Bowl. The contract is a six-year deal.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'd rather go to an actual bowl game with 2 teams playing for something then the all-star game that is currently played in Montgomery. Of course, I've never paid to go to the all-star game, always been given tickets, and I doubt I'd ever pay to go to the bowl game.

I'm surprised ASU hasn't tried to land a bowl game. They are going to need something to help pay for that stadium, especially since the Turkey Day Classic is dead (which was the only big draw ASU game).

Last edited:
I'd rather go to an actual bowl game with 2 teams playing for something then the all-star game that is currently played in Montgomery. Of course, I've never paid to go to the all-star game, always been given tickets, and I doubt I'd ever pay to go to the bowl game.

I'm surprised ASU hasn't tried to land a bowl game. They are going to need something to help pay for that stadium, especially since the Turkey Day Classic (which was the only big draw ASU game).
Yep! Beautifully made place but I'm sure Bama State is in debt now...

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

I'm surprised ASU hasn't tried to land a bowl game. They are going to need something to help pay for that stadium, especially since the Turkey Day Classic (which was the only big draw ASU game).
I went to the all star game this year. The stadium is nice. They even have replay now.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The article said the game will be played at the Cramton Bowl, not at ASU. The city just put a bunch of money into sprucing it up, so I'm glad it will be used for something. Most of the Sun Belt schools are fairly close to Montgomery, so its a good central location for them. I don't know how many MAC fans will make the trip, however.

I knew the Blue-Gray game was dead, did not know another all star game had taken its place.

I'll be at the ASU stadium to see Jax State play ASU on the 31st, but will have Eli in my ear. Looking forward to seeing their new place.

The AHSAA is considering neutral sites for their semifinals football games, if they do that I can see a fight between Montgomery's two stadiums. Either one will be better than anything Birmingham has to offer.

I'm not turning cartwheels over this new game, but it is kind of cool having another bowl game (no matter how lame) in the state. If I got some freebies, I might even go.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I knew the Blue-Gray game was dead, did not know another all star game had taken its place.
Used to love the Blue-Gray game as a kid, as I grew up not so much. The game now is the Raycom College Football All-Star Classic -- rolls off the tongue. First one was last year.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Conference USA teams will participate in newly created bowl games in Nassau, Bahamas, and Boca Raton, Fla., starting in 2014, sources told ESPN.
The Bahamas Bowl would be the first postseason bowl played outside the United States since the International Bowl was held in Toronto from 2007 to 2010. It would be held at Thomas Robinson Stadium, which has a 15,000-seat capacity.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...pate-new-bowls-bahamas-boca-raton-sources-say

So two more bowl games featuring crappy teams join the fold. The Bahamas? Will they be able to find 15,000 people there who'd want to watch a football game?

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
http://espn.go.com/college-football...pate-new-bowls-bahamas-boca-raton-sources-say

So two more bowl games featuring crappy teams join the fold. The Bahamas? Will they be able to find 15,000 people there who'd want to watch a football game?
The Montgomery one won't find 15,000 that will pay to watch a football game. I really doubt they could find 5,000 that will actually buy a ticket.

Between corporate purchases and complimentary giveaways, they might (and I say MIGHT) be able to get it half full or even hit 15,000 if the weather's nice.

The Bahamas at least has the tourist draw aspect to it.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think the Cramton Bowl seats 25,000. If they get a team fairly close (and several are in the Sun Belt that aren't too far away), it might draw a decent crowd.

I don't get the Bahamas Bowl. A nice palce to visit, but an expensive trip to throw together at the last minute. Do you need a passport to go there?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Didn't find out until today that the Montgomery all-star game was cancelled to make room for the bowl game. So that lasted all of one year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.