Contingent Offers to attract interest from other schools?

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Not sure how to title the thread, but we always see that a lot of players claim Bama offers and web all know a good # of them are contingent on grades/ Senior year/ camp performance/ players ahead of them. But I got to wondering, considering the fact that we've dominated the recruiting world, other coaches surely have taken notice of players we're interested in. Do you think CNS gives some guys a contingent offer just so that player can go other programs and 'claim' a Bama offer? To me, it'd be good for the player (perhaps getting an opportunity that wouldn't be available if he didn't get the 'offer' from us) and good for us (we can feign interest to distract from our real targets or to have another coach use a scholly on a player that they think they're "stealing" from us).

Opinions?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Let me preface this by saying I have no inside information whatsoever on this subject.

My suspicion is that Coach offers who he likes but is up front with them. With one stud he may say, "we like you, want you and here is a solid offer right now." Another may be, "We really like your intensity and work ethic. We are looking at a lot of guys at your position right now but keep working hard. We will be in touch." But I don't think he would make any kind of offer unless he truly wants a particular player at the Capstone.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I wouldn't think CNS would offer a kid if he didn't actually want him on the team. The benefit that the kid could derive from an offer that may lead to another good school offering/signing him would be incidental, IMO. Fumble-rooskie tactics in CNS's recruiting schemes don't sound like something he would do. Maybe I'm wrong.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
No...

Our staff is working to improve our program, our offers are to attract them to our program not to make them attractable to other schools. With that said, I do believe if our staff has a player who has impressed them in one of our camps but lacks what we are looking for or if we just don't have a spot for them, they might put in a good word for the kid at another school with a coach they have a relationship with.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I don't really know if that is done on purpose, but I do know that CNS has called other coaching staffs at major programs to encourage them to give a kid a look. He also does that when players ask to leave the program.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.