Link: Warped Thinking by AP Voters

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Want to see what's wrong with the polls in football? Check this out...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/08/meet_the_two_ap_poll_voters_wh.html

This is a perfect insight on the warped thinking by poll voters. These guys are not voting on who they really think the best team is, but who they think has the best chance to go undefeated. The first guy pretty much admits tOSU has a cupcake schedule that they should mow through, so he votes them #1. For goodness sake, stop trying to "predict" the national champion with the preseason poll and just vote for the best teams. If this is the logic they use, we should drop out of the SEC and join the Big Sky and just collect the crystal every year...wait, um, nevermind.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Yeah, Guilbeau is a first class goofball with the track record to prove it. Sad thing is, I'm afraid many poll voters fall into the same category.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
1) The article starts a bit arrogantly with an undercurrent of "how dare you vote for anybody else but Alabama."

2) However - using the "easiest route to undefeated" logic, Tim Brando's insane pick of Louisville is more rational. Funny, I don't recall this logic applying and putting Boise number one a few years ago.

3) So Georgia, who WON the SEC in 2002 and 2005 will now be motivated because they LOST it? But they lost in 2011, too, and though I didn't see the game weren't they actually leading that one at halftime? If that was motivation shouldn't they have won it last year? And shouldn't LSU be the current national champs?

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The problem lies with assigning way too much value to being undefeated. Being undefeated can mean you're great or it could mean you didn't play anybody (i.e. Notre Dame). Match that with the voters trying to guess the final poll positions almost like trying to win the spread game in Vegas and you have a self fulfilling prophesy. I think they will finish high therefore they do.

Not all voters think that way, many ignorantly just pick the best team with the information at hand (! shock). But most of those don't work in the press. Press people feel like they have to guess well to maintain the illusion that they are an authority on sports. They don't realize we actually know most of them are flunkies that couldn't get a real job.

1) The article starts a bit arrogantly with an undercurrent of "how dare you vote for anybody else but Alabama."

2) However - using the "easiest route to undefeated" logic, Tim Brando's insane pick of Louisville is more rational. Funny, I don't recall this logic applying and putting Boise number one a few years ago.

3) So Georgia, who WON the SEC in 2002 and 2005 will now be motivated because they LOST it? But they lost in 2011, too, and though I didn't see the game weren't they actually leading that one at halftime? If that was motivation shouldn't they have won it last year? And shouldn't LSU be the current national champs?
How dare you use logic!!!?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
What amazes me is the stupidity of some of the predictions. Guilbeau say's of Georgia, "I think they'll get some breaks".
Now, maybe I'm naive, but exactly how can someone make that prediction about any team in America?
That's kind of like predicting, "I think Alabama will fumble on the 12th play of a drive in the seventh game of the season".
I mean, what's the basis? How can you possibly know that?
Oddly enough I used to like Guilbeau when he wrote for the Mobile Press. Not anymore. sip

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
What amazes me is the stupidity of some of the predictions. Guilbeau say's of Georgia, "I think they'll get some breaks".
Now, maybe I'm naive, but exactly how can someone make that prediction about any team in America?
That's kind of like predicting, "I think Alabama will fumble on the 12th play of a drive in the seventh game of the season".
I mean, what's the basis? How can you possibly know that?
Oddly enough I used to like Guilbeau when he wrote for the Mobile Press. Not anymore. sip
What amazes me that alot of our fans on here get upset becuase someone does not vote Bama # 1 in a pre-season poll. We got all but 2 first place votes and we are still not happy. The AP poll does not even figure into the BCS so it really does not matter anyways. The polls have worked in our favor the last two years so we should not be complaining about someone's pre-season reasoning.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What amazes me that alot of our fans on here get upset becuase someone does not vote Bama # 1 in a pre-season poll. We got all but 2 first place votes and we are still not happy. The AP poll does not even figure into the BCS so it really does not matter anyways. The polls have worked in our favor the last two years so we should not be complaining about someone's pre-season reasoning.
It's not that the votes weren't for Alabama. It was the reasoning. At least give us something we can read and say "Might not like it, but I see your point." Instead, we look at it and say "Uh, that can go for any of the 121 FBS teams."

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
As RTR91 summarized so well, you missed my point. I don't have any problem if someone wants to vote another team #1 - if they really think they are the best team. These guys are not voting for the best team, they are making season-end predictions - big difference. Let me put it this way. If tOSU played in the SEC, would this guy still vote them #1? I'd bet no based on his reasoning. By his reasoning, put any of the top 4-5 SEC teams in the Big10 and that team should be #1. Does that really make any sense?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Bad answer? What was given.

Good answer? Urban Meyer has been successful everywhere he's been, going unbeaten at Utah and winning 2 titles at Florida. He has a returning QB Heisman candidate, they're in their second year of his system, the schedule is not overly difficult, and they return X number of starters. Plus, Meyer is the only coach to ever beat Nick Saban in a championship game, when he won the 2008 SEC championship game. And I think Bama makes it but Meyer ends the streak.

While we could quibble over the fine points, that would at least be logical. Certainly more so than what we got.

Georgia? Murray and Gurley give them a steady pass/rush mix, their defense is good despite losing X guys to the NFL, the schedule is front heavy - meaning an early loss won't be fatal, and they know they can hang with Alabama, one play away last year.

Gee, even my weakest point there is better than thinking someone gets the breaks.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
While I don't agree with their voting and think their reasons are not very sound, I have to give them credit for owning their vote and defending their picks. That's more than most media members and coaches will do.

I would love for the AP and the Coaches Poll to post how each voting member voted each week. There needs to be transparency in poll voting (especially the coaches poll). But this is not a new conversation.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
These reporters just want attention. They are just like Tim Brando doing anything to get their name out there.
I agree. While most take it seriously and I think they try their best, there will usually be a couple who throw in something strange, so they can get themselves talked about.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Every year we judge prior preseason polls by how they ended up. Why shouldn't pollsters rank teams on how they believe they will end up being ranked?

I've always thought that there should be two polls. 1) How good you think a team is, i.e. the Vegas poll. Anyone below you, you should be favored against on a neutral field. Anyone above you should be favored over you. And 2) where teams deserve to be ranked based on on the field wins and losses.

The first few weeks of the season, these polls could be very different. Any upsets would have you ranked higher in Poll B, but probably not in Poll A. At the end of the season, these polls should converge, but not in all regards. Last year Notre Dame, going into the NC game, should clearly have been ranked #1 in Poll B, but probably around #4-5 in Poll A.

I think an average of both polls (or some ratio) is the proper way to vote as a pollster.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.