Texas A & M in comparison to Auburn

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Someone on here a couple of weeks ago referred to the Aggies fans and administration as "Auburn on steroids w/ a lot more money". That statement was apparently more true than I could have imagined. From the Chancellor's claim that he has seen the evidence and "knows" that Johnny football is innocent of all charges to the athletic director's denials to the almost complete silence from Sumlin- they truly are "all in" via our friends on the plains. The fans on the message boards are not much different. It is clear that they view this season as their "aggie" moment and will let nothing get in the way-I do not think that they care. Even announced today that the 2 DB w/ the assault charges will play by the Bama game. Could they be any more transparent? There is no paper trail from the dollars that Johnny boy received and he will play-just as I want him to. But I found A & M hiring of lawyers and attitude a bit annoying to say the least. They finally finished in the top 5 last year for the 1st time since 1956- yep, when Bear Bryant was the coach in College Station. I guess they truly are desperate to be relevant. Here's hoping the Tide ends that dream on September 14th.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Re: Texas A & M....

I saw A&M Chancellor's interview as well and it brought to mind when W met with Russian Premier Putin and Bush said to the effect that he had looked the man in the eye and believed him to be truthful. Oh yeh, the ex-head of the KGB will always be forthright and truthful in negotiations. I think the Chancellor is also trying to pull the wool over the eyes of college football just like Putin made Bush look like an idiot.

I believe Shakespeare had it right: "He doeth protest too much" (paraphrase).

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

When Bama fans welcomed aTm into the conference, little did we know we were going to get a Cam-denial type display all over again.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

When Bama fans welcomed aTm into the conference, little did we know we were going to get a Cam-denial type display all over again.
They are a little brother school from a state where big brother is a 900 pound gorilla, what did you expect? People gave them a pass because of the Bryant and Stallings connection.

DESERTELEPHANT

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 1, 2009
Las Vegas

In 1978 when I moved to Texas Longhorn fans made that same comparison. They put a third team in the group, Clemson. There must be a scientific term to describe that whiny little brother, he's always picking on me complex they have.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

I would add that there is one MAJOR exception for A&M. Unlike 'Barn and Clemson, the Aggies actually have a chance to first stand even with, and then move ahead of Texas. Texas has destroyed the BigXII, will lose their HC in the near future, and isn't much of a threat to the BCS top 5 right now. The Aggies have a good, young HC. They have a talent rich class or 2 to build on in recruiting, and they have moved to the premier football conference in the country.

Attitudes don't form over night--whatever complex they have had with UT didn't form over night and learning to put UT behind them won't happen over night. A&M dominating the state of Texas is good for the SEC, imo, and I hope they shed their little brother complex and stomp the texas program into the ground.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC

I disagree with throwing Clemson in the "little brother" group. While there are some surface similarities (they're not THE state school), until Spurrier showed up, USCe was a pretty pathetic program and Clemson was the dominant program in this state. Their fan base by and large has a much different attitude than what you see with the barn.

And despite some Bama ties with TAMU, I've never been a fan of that program. It will be interesting to see the long-term effects of them being in the SEC relative to what happens with Texas.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I disagree with throwing Clemson in the "little brother" group. While there are some surface similarities (they're not THE state school), until Spurrier showed up, USCe was a pretty pathetic program and Clemson was the dominant program in this state. Their fan base by and large has a much different attitude than what you see with the barn.

And despite some Bama ties with TAMU, I've never been a fan of that program. It will be interesting to see the long-term effects of them being in the SEC relative to what happens with Texas.
I agree on USCe and Barn with a lake. Pre-Spurrier, they were no where near us or Texas,

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

I wish they still had an annual out-of-conference rivalry game with Texas like Florida does with FSU, UGA and GT, or USCe with Clemson. Those rivalries, despite conferences, are part of what make college football so much fun.

Texas can claim it was a Big12 rule preventing it, but Texas is the one who makes the Big12 rules.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama

Once aTm has been in the conference for a while, I think more Bama fans will recognize more similarities between awburn and aTm. Both agricultural schools, both with vetenary schools, both with cult behavior that makes them unique in their own minds. There has always been a delirious nature about many of the grads I have met and known from aTm. aTm has held on to many of their traditions like awburn that make them look like, well, let's just say comical.Now, having said that, I do like the War Eagle at awburn and the marching band at aTm. Just PLEASE stop the toilet paper throwing and the bun fire tragedies at the two schools, respectively.....

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama

The Auburn fan sees corruption and cheating but believes his team is above reproach.

Following a loss the Auburn fan makes excuses or looks for scapegoats, often saying things like, "As usual, crimson-and-white-striped referees," or "Just another game broadcast by BSPN [sic]."

The Auburn fan who does have the guts to admit they simply got beat will quickly deflect criticism by pointing out that Auburn is much more than football, that football doesn't matter, or that we on the outside "simply don't understand."

The Auburn fan is proud of their field being named after a coach who deliberately and willfully payed players, with no remorse.

The Auburn fan also turns a blind eye to common developments in sports. A good example is their continuous and obnoxious refusal to come to terms with our 2011 team, who won the national championship without winning the SEC. While the BCS is only a two team playoff, they seem to conveniently ignore concepts like "wildcards" and "at-large" bids, which exist in most sports.

The Auburn fan saw thousands of us give thousands of dollars to their university to repair the damage done by a vandal. The Auburn fan's response to this generosity has been to call all of us "updykes".

I really hope this isn't what Texas A&M is like. They have a chance to do something that Auburn has never done even when given the chance: Stand on their own two feet.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

They fast using up that goodwill imo.
I am no fan of JF but suspect none of this TAMU and Manziel bashing overload on Tidefans would exist if we had beaten them in BDS last year.

Edit: Replace none of this bashing with a lot of this bashing

Last edited:

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama

I am no fan of JF but suspect none of this TAMU and Manziel bashing overload on Tidefans would exist if we had beaten them in BDS last year.
In my case, you are wrong. I lived in Texas for over 8 years and recruited engineers from aTm. My impressions were formed much earlier than aTm coming into the SEC, thank you.

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012

Maybe you are right on some account with that statement. But,I can gurantee you that even if we had won that game last fall I would still have the same opinion of JF. He broke the rules,he's arrogant,so is his University. Aggie Honor code? Pffft. That game last year has nothing to do with my despise of them. In one word: Morals.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.