How far we have come since Saban first arrived - some old threads

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
funny that this was posted today. just last night, i re-watched saban's introductory press conference on my tivo. watching it reminded me of how many pokes national writers were taking at ua just prior to him being hired by saying this was no longer (and would no longer be) a destination job. amazing what a great hire and a few years of success will do, eh?

Bhammer

1st Team
Jan 4, 2007
Birmingham
Simeon is one of those guys--and there were a lot of them--who suffered because of bad timing. Just think what he could have been if he had been with Saban from the beginning. I mean, good Lord, Marquis Johnson ended up getting drafted after spending a few years under Saban!
I think this is a great point. He would have been a much better DB without question. However, I have to wonder if would he have even been recruited at all by Coach.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I had to do a lot of traveling to Miami back then & boy the sports talk shows were spewing more hatred of CNS than I have ever heard before. I rally did not get it because while he was there they all hated him the whole time. You would think they would have been so happy th get rid of him.

Yall never forget what Coach Mal Moore did for our program.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I had to do a lot of traveling to Miami back then & boy the sports talk shows were spewing more hatred of CNS than I have ever heard before. I rally did not get it because while he was there they all hated him the whole time. You would think they would have been so happy th get rid of him.

Yall never forget what Coach Mal Moore did for our program.
They were hating on him because he made them look stupid. They had spent weeks ranting and raving about how Bama fans were idiots for believing that there was any way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks that he'd leave the Dolphins for the UA job. When he did, it cheesed them off and they reacted like 4-year olds.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
The best mistake CNS ever made was leaving LSU.

It was a mistake because he knew he shouldn't have left the college game...but was best for him because he would have never achieved the level of success he has now had he stayed at LSU. It worked out great for Les Miles as well...as I doubt there is any team in America that could have given him a chance at success the way LSU has.

Getting back to the original topic...what the old threads show me is a lack of dedication by the veterans on that 2007 team. They didn't buy in...they didn't want to do whatever it took to be a champion. It's clear that there was no leadership or focus from the veterans. I'm glad that JPW was able to get his head on straight that next off season...because him along with a few other guys were able to right the ship and were responsible for starting the unprecedented run we're on right now.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
That actually was a pretty good receiver class. Keith Brown in his day was just as fast as Cooper.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.