Bama vs A&M

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I'm happy to read some optimistic posts. But I can't get past this nagging fact: An offensive line that struggled in the spring and struggled in the fall struggled again Saturday night. In short, they played like they've practiced for the two months they've been a unit.

Is two weeks long enough to fix the problems? Or is it just enough time to simplify what the coaches are asking them to do, in hopes that they'll begin to do something reasonably well?

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Our D will be tired because of an inept O. It will not be the D's fault! I hope I am WRONG. I saw nothing from the offense that makes me think they will be clicking in 2 weeks.
Seriously man, VA Tech's defense is magnitudes better than A&M's. Our OLine will be fine against them, and will have plenty of time to work out kinks before we face another front 7 anywhere near Tech's caliber (LSU).

Chill.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
I assume the OL will be practicing against slants and stunts the next two weeks? Because I can almost guarantee aTm will mirror what VT did.
They'll try, but they really aren't that talented. They might end up hurting themselves even more if they try to mimic the scheme of a team with a lot more depth and talent at those positions.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Could have simply been first game jitters. This would obviously be something the coaches would teach against all off season, but inexperienced players are prone to revert to bad habits when they are under the spot light. Seeing themselves screw up on true game film will help tremendously, IMO.
Oh yeah, May said they were correctable mistakes but they need to be corrected rather quickly.

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
Needless to say that this is almost as hard a game to handicap as any first game anytime. You can't judge the aTm defense by the Rice game (nor will SHSt help much) given the suspensions. You can't really judge Bama's performance by VT since the early lead drove us to blandness for most of the night. Our O-linemen were rarely getting physically whipped but just not playing with sound technique. Some of the runs, the linemen did okay but the head count on D simply left players unblocked and able to make the tackles. I feel confident that aTm won't be as good on D as they were last year and I feel equally confident that we'll do some things to loosen them up early. I've felt since I saw how the schedule laid out that we would clean their proverbial clocks and I still feel that way. I just don't know how to use football knowledge to describe how since we haven't seen much of either team and for that matter, won't until they suit up on the 14th--can't get here soon enough! RTR

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC
Totally switching gears on focus for this game, but the marketing professional in me is wondering about the personal friendship between JF and AJ. Has that wained in the wake of JFs antics? I certainly haven't heard much about it since they went to Cancun (or wherever it was). But that will certainly be one of the story lines for this game.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV
I hope they'll look him up and down, shrug their shoulders and walk away...

I hope our defense will drive him into the ground, help him up, then do it again on the next play. It will be hard for JFF to talk trash with the wind knocked out of him.

Last edited:

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
mark may was a all pro off lineman for several years with the wash redskiins. as good as they get. i hope our staff correct the problems in time. as far as comparing the A&M defense against rice, remember, they had 6 defensive suspended for the rice game. this will be the most critical game towards the conference standings, and national standings. one loss is all bama can have to be in the hunt. the good news is i have not seen a nick saban team not prepared for any opponent having beaten bama or expected to be a challenge not ready for the next meeting. two weeks is just about right.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I'll just ask one question. Has a Nick Saban coached team ever lost to any opponent team in consecutive seasons?
No? I didn't think so. Neither do I think it will happen this season.
Like UF without Tim Tebow and *U without Cam Newton, aTm without little johnnny football is a team that can be described as mediocre at best. Neither UF nor *U were superior teams with their respective qb, and neither is aTm with Manziel.
aTm, with Manziel, caught us off-guard last season, but I really don't think they're going to do the same thing this time. CNS and staff have their game plan in place, and aTm, with or without it's conceited and self-absorbed smart alek kid, isn't going to waylay those plans.

Last edited:

WaitingForNo.13

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 27, 2004
Prattville, AL
Why do you say our defense will be tired. Do you not think we can get their offense off the field? Do you really think our offense will continue to go 3 and out as with VT's very strong defense?

"VT's very strong defense" is the key here. I do not believe that TA&M will be able to force 3 and outs so frequently. Our OL will get it together by TA&M.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
"VT's very strong defense" is the key here. I do not believe that TA&M will be able to force 3 and outs so frequently. Our OL will get it together by TA&M.
I was not very happy with the bye week until I saw this game. Lot of film to digest on missed assignments and breakdowns. I don't think the line will get it completely together for A&M as I think it's gonna be a work in progress all season, but I don't see them having near the breakdowns just for the simple fact that real game breakdowns are much easier to critique and fix than Fall camp issues.

I agree with you, Ii there is one positive to take from this game, it is VT has a pretty salty defense. Just from watching A&M, they are not in the same ballpark. Maybe if they get some of their starters back.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I was not very happy with the bye week until I saw this game. Lot of film to digest on missed assignments and breakdowns. I don't think the line will get it completely together for A&M as I think it's gonna be a work in progress all season, but I don't see them having near the breakdowns just for the simple fact that real game breakdowns are much easier to critique and fix than Fall camp issues.

I agree with you, Ii there is one positive to take from this game, it is VT has a pretty salty defense. Just from watching A&M, they are not in the same ballpark. Maybe if they get some of their starters back.
Same here. I wasn't real happy with the bye week being this early either 'til witnessing Saturday's game. We need it. I'll withhold judgment on the aTm defense because of all the defensive starters that were missing. I believe there were something like 6 players from the starting defense suspended.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
That is because you were watching the wrong thing. You should have been watching atm's defense against Rice. And what you were watching was not Bama's offense against atm's defense. VT has one. atm doesn't.
I have to agree. Rice rolled up 300 yds on the ground against A&M. In looking at their depth chart they are real thin with a lot of freshman as backups. On top of that the suspensions mean some of their starters will have no game reps prior to our game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah. I think the Rice showing is worse than their actual non-short handed defense but they were already replacing most of their front this year from 2012. It demonstrates how thin they are.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Yeah. I think the Rice showing is worse than their actual non-short handed defense but they were already replacing most of their front this year from 2012. It demonstrates how thin they are.
That's what one of the announcers was saying during their game. They lost a lot on defense and the depth behind them isn't anything to write home about. They are very thin on defense regarding depth.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
i genuinely wasn't worried about this game until i heard how we played vs tech. not to take anything away from the d on their team, i just expected our line to "hold it's own" a bit better. and a scoreless 4th quarter???? that is about as unacceptable as it gets, i don't care that the 2nd string was in there. my heart can't take a loss to a&m, who pretty much has my full hatred and ire compared to ANY other football team out there, and yes, it's because of j-lo.

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
I truly believe our O-Line is going to show up and we will run the ball a lot more successfully against the Fighting Manziels. Rice was running all over them throughout most of the game. My largest concern is their talent at receiver. Mike Evans is definitely an NFL talent and the True Freshman Ricky Seals-Jones looks like he is going to be the real deal as well.

Geno will be back so I still feel we will have the advantage in all facets of the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.