The Alabama Defense

Well, since everyone is so wrapped up the offense line, lets talk about the defense. I think they have the makings of being all time great. Everyone is saying if the receivers would have caught the ball, what if we hadn't blown assignments? We pressured the qb all night. Mosley is a great leader and the defensive line is really doing its job. I know it is one game in but since everyone is getting all on the OLine, I chose get look at the other side of the coin. The defense will be great. They went up against a team in which used a different game plan in which they practiced for. They'll correct their mistake and come to play come 9/14! Roll Tide!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
they're a single run fit bust and a screw up by the offense in negative territory from 0 points allowed and 150 yards of field surrendered. We didn't even have our regular DB configuration either. Geno Smith should stabilize some of the situations where guys were getting loose up the seam as Jarrick was not a natural Star DB. The DL looked more lively too which will be huge against all these hurry-up no-huddle spread teams with dual threat QBs.

It looks like we're going to need continued excellence from the defense this season and they appear to be well on their way.

they're a single run fit bust and a screw up by the offense in negative territory from 0 points allowed and 150 yards of field surrendered. We didn't even have our regular DB configuration either. Geno Smith should stabilize some of the situations where guys were getting loose up the seam as Jarrick was not a natural Star DB. The DL looked more lively too which will be huge against all these hurry-up no-huddle spread teams with dual threat QBs.

It looks like we're going to need continued excellence from the defense this season and they appear to be well on their way.
Yes they did, and it was just the first game. Now they weren't perfect, but I see they are trying to reach that standard. I still don't see why or how we'll lose a game with them on the field.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Well said...I think we got 1 sack, but whether we did or not, we had a ton of hurries! CNS has said over and over, he wants hurries on evry pass plays, and while sacks are great, he wants really good pressure on the QB. When a pass is completed and no hurry, he's not a happy camper. BTW I agree with your comments wholeheartedly...'bout time someone mentioned the D, other than just in passing! No pun intended. :)

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
The DL looked great. The LBs looked great. The secondary looked okay. HaHa seemed late on a few plays and there were open guys you may have missed on TV but I saw in the dome.

I'm not worried about the D as the secondary issues will improve with Smith back. TAMU will do better than VT but what worries me is all the 3 and outs we'll have if our Oline doesn't get better quickly.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Well, since everyone is so wrapped up the offense line, lets talk about the defense. I think they have the makings of being all time great. Everyone is saying if the receivers would have caught the ball, what if we hadn't blown assignments? We pressured the qb all night. Mosley is a great leader and the defensive line is really doing its job. I know it is one game in but since everyone is getting all on the OLine, I chose get look at the other side of the coin. The defense will be great. They went up against a team in which used a different game plan in which they practiced for. They'll correct their mistake and come to play come 9/14! Roll Tide!
Let's wait to see how the Defense plays against Johnny Football and all the other Johnnys at aTm.

I just hope the Defense can TOTALLY shut him down. However, that's going to be tough with all those big, tall receivers. Let's be in his face with hands held high every time he throws the ball. We need some interceptions and we need to stop his zigging and zagging across and up and down the field! Lets push those tackles, Left and Right, back into Johnny Boy!

Let's wait to see how the Defense plays against Johnny Football and all the other Johnnys at aTm.

I just hope the Defense can TOTALLY shut him down. However, that's going to be tough with all those big, tall receivers. Let's be in his face with hands held high every time he throws the ball. We need some interceptions and we need to stop his zigging and zagging across and up and down the field! Lets push those tackles, Left and Right, back into Johnny Boy!
I think we will be able to. As I said we weren't perfect, but the DLine looked really good, especially Pagan, Dickson, and Stinson. That's the line I was looking for.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I was at the game. And I can tell you that Tech worked hard and achieved very little on offense. There were a number of fakes - from the upper deck anyway Logan Thomas sells options very well - but the defense always swarmed to the ball. Vinnie's pick was lovely, what he lacks in speed he makes up for with motor and a nose for the ball.

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC
I was very impressed with our D last night and glad we can count on them wile the offense is gelling. We'll get there, meanwhile good to know we can score in many different ways.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I'm nowhere near ready to think about all-time greatness for this defense. We missed Gino, but VT probably missed several offensive starters even more. Their receivers helped us out a several times. Yes, the Bama defense played very well for the most part. They swarmed to the ball on occasion. I think they can be very good. At it's best, the VT offense is not good. I just don't think this game really gives me too much to judge by.

The Sunseri pick-6 was a thing of beauty. I love when you see the coaching (and learning) show up so dramatically.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm nowhere near ready to think about all-time greatness for this defense. We missed Gino, but VT probably missed several offensive starters even more. Their receivers helped us out a several times. Yes, the Bama defense played very well for the most part. They swarmed to the ball on occasion. I think they can be very good. At it's best, the VT offense is not good. I just don't think this game really gives me too much to judge by.

The Sunseri pick-6 was a thing of beauty. I love when you see the coaching (and learning) show up so dramatically.
Oh definitely. I don't want to start pining over how this defense will go down in history. I like what I saw from them though. Whereas the offense seemingly will need to improve a lot just to be average, the defense looks like improvement will mean the difference in being good and elite.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Very good push from the DL, but it looked to me that were occasionally open receivers that were missed or dropped the pass.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
First game...except for one play, defense was outstanding. That one play drops them to a very very good performance, with new starters in the mix.
I am not worried about this defense, at all. Will they give up some big plays? Maybe. But I don't look for LSU or anyone else to push this defense around this year. If Bama wins the next three, at least one will be because of the defense keeping Bama in the game. By that time, hopefully the offense will be where we all want it to be; I don't see it being there by next week, but if we smack around Jerky it won't matter. If the D goes asleep on the 14th, I don't think Bama wins...and I don't see that happening.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Im encouraged and like what i saw yesterday, but it might be better to wait two wks before we start handing out any accolades to our D. Tech looks to have a very good D but their O might be as bad as Miss St's....lets see what our guys can do against a very good and proven Aggie O that knows how to put points on the board.

Last edited:

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
2 things.
1. They "sick" fast....VT had no chance getting to the edges
2. They nasty.....When they come they bring a boat load of "wood".
All in a good way. :)

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Well said...I think we got 1 sack, but whether we did or not, we had a ton of hurries! CNS has said over and over, he wants hurries on evry pass plays, and while sacks are great, he wants really good pressure on the QB. When a pass is completed and no hurry, he's not a happy camper. BTW I agree with your comments wholeheartedly...'bout time someone mentioned the D, other than just in passing! No pun intended. :)
I think our pass rush was designed to contain and force the QB to stay in the pocket with a controlled rush. This is probably the same strategy for JF. Of course he'll be more elusive than VT's QB.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.