Huge recruiting pickup today...

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
One of their brighter fans even posted something to the effect of, well Saban only get's their scraps they didn't want or offer, and that all of those guys that came to Bama, including Lacy were busts...another poster was like, lol, wut? :D
Funny stuff...
I hope the WM fans stay classy, but I doubt it. I expect him to catch a lot of flack for committing to Bama from the WM faithful. That area is very pro-LSU and the school has been a steady pipeline of talent to the school. I guess he is going to be an early enroll so he got this out of the way so he can focus on the season and end the drama of the recruiting process.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hope the WM fans stay classy, but I doubt it. I expect him to catch a lot of flack for committing to Bama from the WM faithful. That area is very pro-LSU and the school has been a steady pipeline of talent to the school. I guess he is going to be an early enroll so he got this out of the way so he can focus on the season and end the drama of the recruiting process.
Can't verify, but I've heard his HS coach sort of nudged him along to announce, in order to get the distraction factor off the team...

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Saban deliberately had the OL play below their standards in order to pick up this commitment. He probably made a phone call on the way back to Tuscaloosa to tell this kid how bad things were and Bama needs you right now.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
Can't verify, but I've heard his HS coach sort of nudged him along to announce, in order to get the distraction factor off the team...
Maybe. They have a new coach. Former Head Coach, Don Shows, is taking personal time due to his health. I couldn't see there being much distraction to a school that is used to high profile recruits being on the team year in and year out but who knows. I figured that he would be enrolling at Bama in the Spring anyway so he just pulled the trigger now.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Well, I'm not so sure his coach made such of a great suggestion because he's about to get "distraction". I can only imagine what kind of mess he's going to now go through for picking Bama over LSU. Because the natives are very upset.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I think it's stuff like this that caused Earle to show them the door. If they are not careful they will turn into API & TPI.
That's not entirely what happened. The real problem causing the LSU ban -- which had been going on for several years -- was that numerous LSU posters would intervene and turn just about every thread even remotely referencing LSU into a big Saban v. Miles and 'Bama v. LSU back-and-forth. It was essentially just thread hijacking, and after many years it became clear that an outright ban was the only way to effectively deal with it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Luther Davis all over again.
Yeah, that's what came to mind this morning when I was listening to the local sports talk radio show. EVERY SINGLE caller was simply beside themselves that he picked Bama over LSU. Many also said that "Its just a verbal. It might be a different story come February." Which I know what he means. There will be IMMENSE pressure for him to change his commitment.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
That's not entirely what happened. The real problem causing the LSU ban -- which had been going on for several years -- was that numerous LSU posters would intervene and turn just about every thread even remotely referencing LSU into a big Saban v. Miles and 'Bama v. LSU back-and-forth. It was essentially just thread hijacking, and after many years it became clear that an outright ban was the only way to effectively deal with it.
Yep. Though I miss some of the guys who posted here. From a "big picture" standpoint it was the best thing to do. You can't keep allowing threads to turn into what they had turned into and that was (like you said) Saban v. Miles and Bama v. LSU.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yep. Though I miss some of the guys who posted here.
For the record, some of the 'nicest, most informed' posters here were back-stabbing hypocrites on their boards. I only got a small taste of it, but the way the treated some of the mods on their other boards after hiding behind our rules here will never be forgotten. Good riddance to all of that lot.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
If I'm a D-lineman I look at LSU over Bama but an O-lineman should look at Bama first. We had a guy win the Outland and Remington in back to back years and he was the third lineman on the team to get drafted. It's ridiculous. That doesn't even include the chance to win a national title.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If I'm a D-lineman I look at LSU over Bama but an O-lineman should look at Bama first. We had a guy win the Outland and Remington in back to back years and he was the third lineman on the team to get drafted. It's ridiculous. That doesn't even include the chance to win a national title.
A player like Cam Robinson can decide to play for Popcorn State and still be a 1st RD draft choice.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Saban deliberately had the OL play below their standards in order to pick up this commitment. He probably made a phone call on the way back to Tuscaloosa to tell this kid how bad things were and Bama needs you right now.
Now you know why even CyKo missed a couple of blocks. I think I saw our O-linemen calling who would "miss" a block on some of the plays. We're so sophisticated now that we plan our "mistakes" to influence future years of recruiting as well as the point spread. :biggrin:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
i'll be the old grump here, but enough already with national press conferences for a 17 year old to announce his choice of where to play football. it's completely out of hand...and we wonder why so many kids have their heads screwed on backwards.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.