Huge recruiting pickup today...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
i'll be the old grump here, but enough already with national press conferences for a 17 year old to announce his choice of where to play football. it's completely out of hand...and we wonder why so many kids have their heads screwed on backwards.
It only becomes "out of hand" if it begins to hurt the sport. It has not. This is about the most important event in the lives of most of these recruits. Be happy for them as they enjoy their moment in the sun. Pretty soon that moment will turn into blood, sweat and tears as they begin moving toward their next goal - actually seeing the playing field.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
It only becomes "out of hand" if it begins to hurt the sport. It has not. This is about the most important event in the lives of most of these recruits. Be happy for them as they enjoy their moment in the sun. Pretty soon that moment will turn into blood, sweat and tears as they begin moving toward their next goal - actually seeing the playing field.
You are way too logical and thoughtful! Work on that!

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I am happy for him, and we'll just have to agree to disagree, but my issue isn't about hurting the sport. he got a scholarship to Alabama to play football...that's great. I bet some kids at that school got academic scholarships to top-flight schools and that probably warranted little more than a mention in the school paper and maybe the local rag.

I will always find the concept of national press conferences to announce that "i'm taking my talents to state u" ridiculous.

the local paper in my town published a list complete with photos of the local kids who were signing to play ball in college...some of them were going to d3 schools. that's great...but they didn't even mention that one of the kids in the same class got a scholarship to MIT. I found out about that from my neighbor, who is a teacher.

sorry, but getting a full-ride to study at MIT is (at least in my book) every bit as impressive (and probably even more so) than getting a chance to play football at Alabama or LSU...and it is certainly more impressive than playing football at Randolph Macon.

i'm happy for any of the kids that get the chance to play college ball, especially at the highest levels, but it's out of hand in my book.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am happy for him, and we'll just have to agree to disagree, but my issue isn't about hurting the sport. he got a scholarship to Alabama to play football...that's great. I bet some kids at that school got academic scholarships to top-flight schools and that probably warranted little more than a mention in the school paper and maybe the local rag.

I will always find the concept of national press conferences to announce that "i'm taking my talents to state u" ridiculous.

the local paper in my town published a list complete with photos of the local kids who were signing to play ball in college...some of them were going to d3 schools. that's great...but they didn't even mention that one of the kids in the same class got a scholarship to MIT. I found out about that from my neighbor, who is a teacher.

sorry, but getting a full-ride to study at MIT is (at least in my book) as every bit as impressive (and probably even more so) than getting a chance to play football at Alabama or LSU...and it is certainly more impressive than playing football at Randolph Macon.

i'm happy for any of the kids that get the chance to play college ball, especially at the highest levels, but it's out of hand in my book.
Your problem is more with how Americans choose their "celebrities" and heroes than with these kids, IMO.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Your problem is more with how Americans choose their "celebrities" and heroes than with these kids, IMO.
I never said a word about this kid, and I think it was pretty clear that my problem is with the upside-down priorities we have as a society, not these children who take advantage of the absurd media attention they have heaped upon them.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I never said a word about this kid,
Didn't say that you did.
and I think it was pretty clear that my problem is with the upside-down priorities we have as a society, not these children who take advantage of the absurd media attention they have heaped upon them.
It is now. Thanks for the clarity.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I agree with you. Recruiting has turned into a fairly big business too with the TV and websites. At this point it is the norm for the most part to have pressers and several hats on the table or something similar. I actually enjoy it as long as it is not too over the top.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I want to see a youngster be introduced, walk out w Bama hat and jersey on, sit down and say "any questions ladies and gentlemen".

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Coach Bryant to English Professor Tommy Mayo at Texas A&M when questioned about his emphasis on winning and his salary:

How many people watch you give a final exam?
[About fifty is the reply.]
Well, I have 50,000 watch me give mine - every Saturday!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.