Cool Ending to the Million Dollar Band Halftime Show in ATL

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
The show was a rehash up to the :25 of Skyfall and the Carly Simon... they did it ~3 yrs ago. The flags were done before but less dramatically.

For the record, I'm an MDB alum... a highly active one. And my comments below are not aimed at the kids who I KNOW worked their ever-loving butts off this summer.

But...

That show lacked energy, volume and enthusiasm. The flags at the end were borderline pandering. Had we opened in BDS you would have barely noticed them... being in the dome amplified the sound to the point folks actually noticed them on the field.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Unless they've done a Bond show since I was a member, they did a Bond show in late 2005 through the Cotton Bowl.

Last edited:

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
The show was a rehash up to the :25 of Skyfall and the Carly Simon... they did it ~3 yrs ago. The flags were done before but less dramatically.

For the record, I'm an MDB alum... a highly active one. And my comments below are not aimed at the kids who I KNOW worked their ever-loving butts off this summer.

But...

That show lacked energy, volume and enthusiasm. The flags at the end were borderline pandering. Had we opened in BDS you would have barely noticed them... being in the dome amplified the sound to the point folks actually noticed them on the field.
well, for a different perspective...from someone who doesnt know much about marching bands but appreciates all the hard work and effort that goes into such a large production....

that was awsome, and, the flags at the end were impressive and went absolutely perfect with the song and the school they're representing...

i thought it was more than just impressive, it was borderline incredible....

fantastic performance!

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
I remember the good old days when the bands were featured on tv during halftime . Now all you get is talking heads and commercials . Thanks for the link . rtr...

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I came through the MDB at the crossroads when Ms. Scott had retired and Dr. Ozzello had just taken over. He makes a bigger emphasis on - I guess you could say - more intricate sound and dynamics in the competitive drum corp philosophy whereas Ms. Scott was more in line with the LSU show-band-lets-get-loud philosophy.

I can appreciate both styles as a musician but I think in large stadiums that the loud-louder-and-loudest method works better with the audience even if it diminishes some of the musicality. We have to remember most of the audience has had one too many anyway and they aren't really going to appreciate little flourishes and intricacies. Also, while the audience is important that the band members actually enjoying the music they play is a big thing too. If we were going to play shows exclusively that the audience would dig then it would just be a rah-rah nationalism/sousa march show and a gospel show.

I think some of the quietness may have been an overreaction to what the dome could have done with their sound leading to tearing in the tempo on the distal ends of the formation. Overall, it was a nice show that hits on something the stands would like while being fun to play.

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
I came through the MDB at the crossroads when Ms. Scott had retired and Dr. Ozzello had just taken over. He makes a bigger emphasis on - I guess you could say - more intricate sound and dynamics in the competitive drum corp philosophy whereas Ms. Scott was more in line with the LSU show-band-lets-get-loud philosophy.

I can appreciate both styles as a musician but I think in large stadiums that the loud-louder-and-loudest method works better with the audience even if it diminishes some of the musicality. We have to remember most of the audience has had one too many anyway and they aren't really going to appreciate little flourishes and intricacies. Also, while the audience is important that the band members actually enjoying the music they play is a big thing too. If we were going to play shows exclusively that the audience would dig then it would just be a rah-rah nationalism/sousa march show and a gospel show.

I think some of the quietness may have been an overreaction to what the dome could have done with their sound leading to tearing in the tempo on the distal ends of the formation. Overall, it was a nice show that hits on something the stands would like while being fun to play.

We couldn't have said it better ourselves.....:D

UAnerd

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 6, 2013
Wish we played "Nobody does it Better" when we did the bond show in 07. It was always one of my favorite Bond songs. Skyfall was also a very good choice, a new classic.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks for the post. My son is in the MDB and I had seen a preview of the ending a couple of weeks ago, but I wasn't able to go to the game and the link was my first time to see it. Loved the ending...great choice of song and I loved the exclamation point on BAMA! Looking forward to next week and btw the MDB will be there in full force. Let's Go BAMA!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.