Stdium proposal to go before BOT

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Alabama athletics director Bill Battle will present a plan for expansive renovations to Sewell-Thomas Stadium at next week's UA System Board of Trustees meeting.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/09/alabama_to_present_plans_for_s.html

Article really doesn't go into specifics about what will be done, but said it would cost $30 million and the stadium will be updated, not replaced.

Also, entire UAB fan base whines in the comments section about not having a football stadium.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Regions Park in Birmingham only seats around 8,500 people, which would probably handle most of their fans, but would be too small for FBS standards.

The Hoover Met, on the other hand, was designed to be expanded to an MLB stadium if by some miracle we got a team here. So they could expand it to 25-30,000 seats, which is what a program on their level needs.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
Both of them?

:biggrin2:

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2
I scrolled down to the comments, as I usually do, but didn't expect the entire UAB fanbase to be on there. They are screaming it is hypocritical and a double standard, but it seems to escape them that college baseball as a whole isn't revenue sport (save for a handful of programs). That being said, this isn't about the baseball program's ability to pay its way (though I believe a winning product can produce those results), but about an ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT that funds itself.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
From what I've seen on here and read elsewhere is that they need it. I hope it happens.
I think UAB needs something for their football program but a 75 million dollar facility that would be too large for their fanbase isn't it. While Alabama baseball doesn't have the recent success to demand a $30 million dollar upgrade, it has had lots of success over its history and is one of the three best programs in SEC history. That's something UAB football will never demand in negotiating a new facility.

I think UAB needs something for their football program but a 75 million dollar facility that would be too large for their fanbase isn't it. While Alabama baseball doesn't have the recent success to demand a $30 million dollar upgrade, it has had lots of success over its history and is one of the three best programs in SEC history. That's something UAB football will never demand in negotiating a new facility.
Just wanted to be sure we mean Alabama Baseball. I'm not concerned about UAB.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I still don't like the "renovation" part of The Joe. Tear him down, put him out of his misery, and rebuild. I don't care if it's on the same spot, but just "touching up" the place wont work IMHO.

Kevin4Bama

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2005
Theodore, Alabama, United States
I still don't like the "renovation" part of The Joe. Tear him down, put him out of his misery, and rebuild. I don't care if it's on the same spot, but just "touching up" the place wont work IMHO.
I won't judge until I see the renderings. From what I've heard from some who have seen them, we'll have one of, if not THE, premier facilities in the SEC. From what I understand, it will be pretty much a whole new structure.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I'm okay with the plan. Nothing wrong with field itself. Just build a new stadium around it.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So we'd be playing the 2015 season at the Met. I guess they won't start construction until after the 2014 season. I guess they can't wait too long until after one season ends to start and they can't have a plan ready in eight months.

Sounds like they'll pretty much tear the whole place down and start over. The Met won't be a bad temp home, should get decent attendance.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Thank goodness we have the sorry state of our baseball program, including its facilities, to fret over. Much better than all the hand-wringing going on over on the main board.

Might I suggest we adopt this color as our "sarcasm" font. It will come in handy, once CMG becomes the next topic for discussion.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
‏@BamaOnline247
Alabama Board of Trustees has approved a $30 million baseball stadium to be completed by August 2015.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Well I believe I can handle this then, sounds like they are doing what I would have done. Just clean house on the same spot and put it right back. I honestly like the location.

Now we have to hope this place is going to be the real deal or we're just wasting money.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
‏@BOLWalsh
The plan for now is for the Alabama baseball team to play in the stadium in 2015 around the construction

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.