Is coach Smart still ours if Georgia loses to South Carolina?

TideRush

Scout Team
Jan 4, 2011
Richt has been on the "hot seat" for years, but has found a way to stay around. A loss this week probably kicks the poodles out of the SEC Championship, definitely the NC and Murray is gone. I say Coach Smart, as I believe there will be mutual interest in a HC vacancy. Is this game the final breaking point?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I disagree....even if the Dawgs lose (and I'm one of the few on here who think they won't), it's still possible for them to win the East. Even if they don't and they go 10-2 in the regular season, he won't get fired.
I have hoed a different row for years, in thinking that one more bad year and he's done. Only thing was, he hasn't had a "bad" year in the last few. If they go 8-4, maybe. 9-3, flip a coin. But 10-2, he stays, no matter whether they win the East or not. Let's all pray on it right now....

TideRush

Scout Team
Jan 4, 2011
I disagree....even if the Dawgs lose (and I'm one of the few on here who think they won't), it's still possible for them to win the East. Even if they don't and they go 10-2 in the regular season, he won't get fired.
I have hoed a different row for years, in thinking that one more bad year and he's done. Only thing was, he hasn't had a "bad" year in the last few. If they go 8-4, maybe. 9-3, flip a coin. But 10-2, he stays, no matter whether they win the East or not. Let's all pray on it right now....
I feel the same way, but I think it's at the least something to consider. Richt is our Bob Stoops, and as much as I hate to think it, reality is Coach Smart will be highly sought after for many HC jobs. I can imagine Saban/Smart staying together long term, like Beamer/Foster, but situations like that these days are few and far between.

sherranbar

Sep 2, 2013
Richt has been on the "hot seat" for years, but has found a way to stay around. A loss this week probably kicks the poodles out of the SEC Championship, definitely the NC and Murray is gone. I say Coach Smart, as I believe there will be mutual interest in a HC vacancy. Is this game the final breaking point?
Nah. All UGA has to do is beat GT. All sins will be forgiven. The notion that the runner-up in the SEC Championship game is going to fire their coach is like saying Superman is outta here because he failed to quash Lex Luthor because he (SM) ate a kryptonite sandwich surreptitiously planted in his lunch pail. Ain't gonna happen. Ask rather: Is Richt gone if he loses to USC and to GT?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
UGA has to finish sub .500 this year for Richt to be in any immediate danger of being fired. A Dubosian 3-8 would make it certain. If they go 9-4 even 8-5 after being Ten yards from a national championship* he gets another year minimum. Hope he gets at least 2 more, heck I hope he stays until his late 70's.

*Seriously since December I hear exactly this every time anyone discusses UGA football. {How is GA going to be this year? "I don't know but we were 10 yards from a NC Last year}

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
After going the route of hiring an assistant to become their HC, like they did with Richt, I imagine the money folks will wanna a proven HC that's won a NC if possible, follow the blueprint Bams laid out by hiring Coach Saban..They have the money, facilities, and the recruiting base to go after the best of the best of college HC's..They would be foolish to hire an assistant for their HC this go around..JMHO

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
After going the route of hiring an assistant to become their HC, like they did with Richt, I imagine the money folks will wanna a proven HC that's won a NC if possible, follow the blueprint Bams laid out by hiring Coach Saban..They have the money, facilities, and the recruiting base to go after the best of the best of college HC's..They would be foolish to hire an assistant for their HC this go around..JMHO

petrino?

TideRush

Scout Team
Jan 4, 2011
Nah. All UGA has to do is beat GT. All sins will be forgiven. The notion that the runner-up in the SEC Championship game is going to fire their coach is like saying Superman is outta here because he failed to quash Lex Luthor because he (SM) ate a kryptonite sandwich surreptitiously planted in his lunch pail. Ain't gonna happen. Ask rather: Is Richt gone if he loses to USC and to GT?
Seriously? I thing beating GT is a given, but last I checked, the SEC is all that matters. I posed the question because the timing may be right if Georgia loses, to pull the trigger on Smart. I just don't believe he'll be available too much longer, and with Murray gone, (this being their real chance for a SEC/NC for a few years) who else is out there better than Smart for the job?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Richt is going nowhere and right now the NC is still on the table and even if they lose to USCe, the SEC title is still on the table (I don't yet trust the Gamecocks or Gators not to blow it).

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
This is what I was thinking. What a change that would be....from a good guy like Richt to Petrino. Haha.
I doubt they would go after Petrino after the saga he went through at Arkansas..An intriguing choice that I would love to see them go after is Les Miles, I dunno if he would go to Georgia, but, would love to see the "Swamp Kittens" melt down if the lost another HC to an SEC team..

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
"The" Geogia Bulldawg scenario.
1. Start the season overrated & highly ranked.
2. Lose your first couple of games.
3. Put M. Richt on the hotseat.
4. Finish the season with 8 straight wins and lose in the SEC championship.
5. Win your bowl game and save Richt's job (again)
6. Be proclaimed the best 3 loss team ever in the country going into the offseason.
7. Next season......rinse and repeat.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
I think Richt safe for a while at least another year even they lose 1 or 2 more this year.
I also think KSmart and CStrong would both likely be on their short list, but I kinda think they might go after Strong at UL. JMO.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I think Richt safe for a while at least another year even they lose 1 or 2 more this year.
I also think KSmart and CStrong would both likely be on their short list, but I kinda think they might go after Strong at UL. JMO.
That would be a safe choice, but, would better than going after an assistant though..Tho one HC I think that would do really really good at Georgia, would be TCU's Patterson, a dominant running game is what Georgia has been lacking & would bring them Championships I think..He'd be the perfect fit at Georgia..

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
Why would Mark Richt be on the hot seat for losing back to back weeks to top 10 teams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
IMO.....going into the game against Tennesee being 1-3, regardless if the 3 losses are to top 10 teams, will put him on the hot seat (again), with the bulldawg fans for sure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.