Is coach Smart still ours if Georgia loses to South Carolina?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
A couple of things:

1. Richt's longtime protector, school president Michael Adams, is retiring.

2. The fan base is as delusional as a meth addict. Certainly that has to apply to a few of the influential boosters.

3. Georgia has been riding the weakest schedule in the SEC like an inner tube. Not this year.

4. All that said, a three to four-loss season only starts the ticking clock for next year.

5. Smart ticked off a lot of Georgia people when UGA tried to money whip him into taking the DC job in Athens two years ago. He's not a shoe-in at this point.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Why would Mark Richt be on the hot seat for losing back to back weeks to top 10 teams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Because Georgia will never win that "Big Game", that will turn them into a NC type program, Richt will always lose a big game or two each year, that keeps them from taking them to the next level, it's a shame too, cause with the right HC, The Bulldogs will win a NC or two with that right HC..JMHO..I would love to see what a Coach Patterson from TCU or Coach Peterson from Boise St could do at Georgia..

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Because Georgia will never win that "Big Game", that will turn them into a NC type program, Richt will always lose a big game or two each year, that keeps them from taking them to the next level, it's a shame too, cause with the right HC, The Bulldogs will win a NC or two with that right HC..JMHO..I would love to see what a Coach Patterson from TCU or Coach Peterson from Boise St could do at Georgia..
Again, UGA will be 0-2 agains two top 10 teams. They won't be winless after playing Samford and Troy. Would we want to fire a coach who just took us to the SECCG (like Audio said) after losing to two quality opponents? I'm going to emphatically say "no."

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Last season bought Richt another five years.
Yeah I think they're cool with just being in the mix of the Top 10-15...Richt is not a terrible coach, imho, he's just not a great one that will have them consistently competing for championships every couple of years. Bulldog fans seem okay with that.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
A friend of mine said they had the impression Kirby Smart had family reasons that help tie him to his current location.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please concur and maybe expand on the reason he and family are reluctant to leave Tuscaloosa.

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
Again, UGA will be 0-2 agains two top 10 teams. They won't be winless after playing Samford and Troy.

They don't play Samford or Troy this year. They've got USCe, an open week, then North Texas and then LSU & Tenn. A tough row to be sure.
UGA 2013 Schedule

Would we want to fire a coach who just took us to the SECCG (like Audio said) after losing to two quality opponents? I'm going to emphatically say "no."
If we were 1-11 against last 12 top 10 teams we've played I would say "yes"

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Again, UGA will be 0-2 agains two top 10 teams. They won't be winless after playing Samford and Troy. Would we want to fire a coach who just took us to the SECCG (like Audio said) after losing to two quality opponents? I'm going to emphatically say "no."

I hope Georgia keeps Richt another 10-15yrs, if they're happy with him, more power to 'em, cause they will never win a NC with Richt as HC..And Coach Saban will continue to "Cherry Pick" Georgia's top recruits with him there as well..It's all good..I vote he stays at Georgia for a longgggg time..

Last edited:

TideRush

Scout Team
Jan 4, 2011
I seriously doubt there will be a 2 loss team in the NC this year. Pac 12 Championship, ACC Championship and possibly Big 10, with a few dark horse in Louisville are seriously in the mix. Remember, I said "if". If Georgia beats SC, all this is for not, which really makes me believe by this discussion the game is as big or bigger for those reasons. Again, Richt is our Bob Stoops, but in the modern era of SEC football, that won't fly for long. He got them close, but this ain't horseshoes. Without Murray, when would you see them back in the SEC or NC picture?
As far as the what RTR91 is saying, I clearly disagree. Playing teams like Samford and Troy as non-conference games, while adding to the wins column, actually can hurt in sos. You have to play and beat top 10 teams to get to the dance. Kinda why if Johnny Paycheck was suspended against us, that game by the voters would hurt us. Everyone has tune-up games on the schedule. BUt quality wins against quality opponents matter the most. You have to win them.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I seriously doubt there will be a 2 loss team in the NC this year. Pac 12 Championship, ACC Championship and possibly Big 10, with a few dark horse in Louisville are seriously in the mix. Remember, I said "if". If Georgia beats SC, all this is for not, which really makes me believe by this discussion the game is as big or bigger for those reasons. Again, Richt is our Bob Stoops, but in the modern era of SEC football, that won't fly for long. He got them close, but this ain't horseshoes. Without Murray, when would you see them back in the SEC or NC picture?
As far as the what RTR91 is saying, I clearly disagree. Playing teams like Samford and Troy as non-conference games, while adding to the wins column, actually can hurt in sos. You have to play and beat top 10 teams to get to the dance. Kinda why if Johnny Paycheck was suspended against us, that game by the voters would hurt us. Everyone has tune-up games on the schedule. BUt quality wins against quality opponents matter the most. You have to win them.
Exactly..You're 100% & is exactly why Richt will never win a NC at Georgia, his teams consistently chokes in big games & under pressure, anyone argues otherwise, is flat wrong & deserves him as their HC..He's a descent HC no doubting that at all, is he a NC caliber HC, no he's not, and if I were a betting man, my money would be bet against him ever winning a NC at Georgia or at any other D1 school should he move on or gets fire at Georgia..I'm just thankful he's not our problem..The Dawgs can keep him as long as they wanna..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You missed my point. I was not meaning what you said above.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
They didn't choke against us. Played way over their heads to even be in that game.
I can't argue with ya at all about that, as you stated, they played the games of their lives aginst us & still couldn't get the job done..With that said..Georgia under Richt will yearly lose a big game that can take 'em to the next level..It's in their DNA under Richt..

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Richt will hang on again. I really don't want Kirby to go to GA anytime soon because I do not think he can win there atm.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I really dont understand the Richt hot seat stuff. They gave us all we wanted last year & in my view played us better than TPI!

The game today is a real toss up for me, but if both teams play like last week, then I would say Jawga wins a close one by a field goal. Although Spurrier does seem to have their number?

Kirby is one of the highest paid Asst in CF,I think he likes it here at Alabama, has become one of us so to speak. His relationship with CNS is very strong, so isee himas the heir apparent.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I don't know about the big money people, but in the areas in which I live and work the natives are getting restless. These fans aren't as satisfied with the 10 win season as a lot of people think they are. They have the same type of problem as we did for several years: enough people with the money and in the right places are satisfied because they can control the program with Richt at the helm. Remember our big money people pretty much requiring that in order for a coach to be hired at Bama they had to have ties to Coach Bryant or the team (preferably both to them)?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They didn't choke against us. Played way over their heads to even be in that game.
Agreed, but the way they handled that last play was almost a textbook choke. I don't care what they say now about having planned for that situation (yeah, right), you spike the ball there, might even get two shots at the EZ.

*choke*

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I agree that they were lucky to be in the game, but think it was more a function of our own blunders than it was UGA's own play.

We drilled them in every statistic. Offensively, we outgained them by 524 to 394. Going into the last 90 seconds, that was 524 to about 320. For 97.5% of the game, they struggled to sustain anything on offense. Their last drive was impressive, but it never should have come to that.

We turned it over on the goal line (I still think Lacy scored). Foster hit a really low kick that they blocked and returned for a TD. But we never should have been kicking in the first place.

There was a PI call on third down that would have put us on about the 20 - 25. It was called, but the refs picked up the flag because they said the ball was tipped at the line. Repeated replays showed that it passed between a DL's hands, but wasn't touched. Given how it happened, I understand how they missed it on the field. But I don't understand how they missed on review.

If that had been called correctly, we would have been well within Shelley's range, with the momentum, and Georgia wouldn't have had a chance to block.

Given Shelley's 100% performance last year, you have to figure that's at least a 10 point swing. Maybe 14. Add the turnover at the goal line, and you have either a 17 or 21 point difference.

The last drive never should have mattered. UGA wasn't five yards from a NC. They were fortunate not to be blown out.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.