Is coach Smart still ours if Georgia loses to South Carolina?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I don't know about the big money people, but in the areas in which I live and work the natives are getting restless. These fans aren't as satisfied with the 10 win season as a lot of people think they are. They have the same type of problem as we did for several years: enough people with the money and in the right places are satisfied because they can control the program with Richt at the helm. Remember our big money people pretty much requiring that in order for a coach to be hired at Bama they had to have ties to Coach Bryant or the team (preferably both to them)?
Used to be true, but there seems to be a new Sheriff in town.
Now pundits talk about the 'Saban coaching tree'...
Might not necessarily be true, but that's the current buzz.

CDD failed in Knoxville, but the other disciples seem to be doing pretty well...

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I don't know about the big money people, but in the areas in which I live and work the natives are getting restless. These fans aren't as satisfied with the 10 win season as a lot of people think they are. They have the same type of problem as we did for several years: enough people with the money and in the right places are satisfied because they can control the program with Richt at the helm. Remember our big money people pretty much requiring that in order for a coach to be hired at Bama they had to have ties to Coach Bryant or the team (preferably both to them)?
Yet they put up with Vince Dooley for all of those years. Dooley reminded me of a major league pitcher who doesn't care to win 20 games in a season because then it would be expected of him every year. He averaged 8 wins a season for 25 years and seemed quite content in doing so.

TideRush

Scout Team
Jan 4, 2011
They didn't choke against us. Played way over their heads to even be in that game.
Sorry, but I disagree. I see choke written all over them last year. They had a powderpuff schedule, at top-rated defense, so much so I remember everyone talking about how they had more NFL players on defense than anyone. They open the season 5-0, outscoring opponents by double digits, yet they gave up 23 to Buffalo, 20 to Mizzou and Fla Atlantic and 44 to Tennessee. In last years 2 big regular season games, they get hammered 35-7 by SC, edge Florida 17-9. They haven't been up on a ranked opponent by double digits.
Since 2009, Georgia is 0-4 against SC, 2-2 against FL and 0-2 when facing LSU. While 3-1 vs. Kentucky, they still haven't beat them by double digits, I believe.
Todays game is Murray's defining moment, and if they lose, Murray can't really go down as a winner, thus Richt is in the same boat. This year's Clemson, SC, Florida and LSU. Go 3-1 against those 4, and run the table against Vandy, Kentucky, etc. there's a good chance all is good. Open the season 1-3 with Florida on the horizon, forget it.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
I seriously doubt there will be a 2 loss team in the NC this year. Pac 12 Championship, ACC Championship and possibly Big 10, with a few dark horse in Louisville are seriously in the mix. Remember, I said "if". If Georgia beats SC, all this is for not, which really makes me believe by this discussion the game is as big or bigger for those reasons. Again, Richt is our Bob Stoops, but in the modern era of SEC football, that won't fly for long. He got them close, but this ain't horseshoes. Without Murray, when would you see them back in the SEC or NC picture?
As far as the what RTR91 is saying, I clearly disagree. Playing teams like Samford and Troy as non-conference games, while adding to the wins column, actually can hurt in sos. You have to play and beat top 10 teams to get to the dance. Kinda why if Johnny Paycheck was suspended against us, that game by the voters would hurt us. Everyone has tune-up games on the schedule. BUt quality wins against quality opponents matter the most. You have to win them.
I agree with most of your first statement with the exception of any possibility of Louisville getting in. I don't think a 2-loss team gets in from any conference although I think it's possible (although not likely) a 1-loss team could, as it's happened before.
As for SOS, I agree it matters a great deal; if that continues to hold true I don't see any way in Hades Louisville gets in even if they go undefeated, their whole schedule is tune-up game.
It's basically Boise State all over again. At least BSU would play one decent game on theirs every year.

Louisville Schedule
Ohio
E. Kentucky
Kentucky
FIU
Temple
Rutgers
UCF
SoFla
UConn
Houston
Memphis
Cincinnati

And SEC teams are worried about 1 or 2 tune-up games?
No wonder Bridgewater looks like Tom Brady.

Richt and Georgia should still be okay unless they lose one to a team they shouldn't. They will have two games in a row against a highly ranked opponent, and they played Clemson down to the wire. Today's game against USCe will be interesting to watch, no doubt. If UGA wins it, their still in it...still a long season ahead for everybody.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It may be unpopular, but IF CNS coaches another 5 years and Kirby is still here I'm OK with him stepping in as HC at Bama.

I think Smart understands and has bought into the "process" and if he's here when CNS steps down I don't know anyone else in college football who has anymore recent success at getting teams to the NC than Kirby.

Having said that, if CNS is going to coach for a few more years, I'd prefer for CKS go get some experience as a HC and then perhaps he's even more primed for stepping in at T-town in a few years.

But if he leaves I hope it's not to Georgia or any other major SEC school.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think Richt safe for a while at least another year even they lose 1 or 2 more this year.
I also think KSmart and CStrong would both likely be on their short list, but I kinda think they might go after Strong at UL. JMO.
Or Tubby...especially if CinCity has a decent year.

Tradition4ever

1st Team
Oct 16, 2004
Carlsbad, NM
It may be unpopular, but IF CNS coaches another 5 years and Kirby is still here I'm OK with him stepping in as HC at Bama.

I think Smart understands and has bought into the "process" and if he's here when CNS steps down I don't know anyone else in college football who has anymore recent success at getting teams to the NC than Kirby.

Having said that, if CNS is going to coach for a few more years, I'd prefer for CKS go get some experience as a HC and then perhaps he's even more primed for stepping in at T-town in a few years.

But if he leaves I hope it's not to Georgia or any other major SEC school.
I may be in the extreme minority here, but I'm not a fan of the idea where Coach Smart waits in line at Bama and takes over for Coach Saban, and it doesn't have anything to do with Smart himself, exactly. I just feel like that's an impossible situation to put a first time coach into, especially since he would be following Saban, who has set an almost insurmountable standard. Although I would hate to lose CKS as our DC, if he really is the anointed one to take the reins when Saban steps down, then I would much rather CKS go to another school as the head coach, preferably a mid major type place, and get his feet wet there. Let him go to that school and experience what it is like to truly be the chief, to be the guy that deals directly with the A.D. and other school administrators, to be the guy that corresponds with the media, to be the guy that has the weekly fan call in show, to be the guy that is the face of a program, to be the guy that attends countless booster dinners around the region, all on a much smaller scale than what is needed at Bama. Let him go and experience what it takes to hire, manage, and maintain his own staff. He'll undoubtedly make some mistakes, and he will learn from those mistakes along the way. But, asking him to do all of these things while being the head guy at Bama, under that pressure-cooker and microscope, having taken over the reins from a legend? Seems unfair to him, and to the Bama nation. What CNS has built here now will need a truly experienced hand to maintain. In all honesty, it's more than likely that the next guy in line will see a drop off of performance, both in winning and recruiting, and I wouldn't want that guy to be CKS as a first time head coach.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I'm a big fan of coach Smart. However, I don't think he's "one of us" as someone claimed earlier. As much as I would like to think that every coach would fall in love with Bama, I doubt any coach, from from the "outside" will ever really be "one of us" (at Bama or any other school, for that matter) in this day and age. It's a business, a job. If you are a great assistant, you are preparing yourself for the next step/great opportunity. He won't take just any job, but I think Smart would jump at a HC offer from UGA. Richt isn't going anywhere any time soon, though.

Saban will stay at Bama, not because he's become one of us, but because, among other reasons, it's the best job in America. When he does retire, I want Bama to hire the best proven HC available at that time.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
At the beginning of the season, I picked USCe over UGA, thinking that USCe had its best team ever. I was picking them and was pulling for them, that is until this thread.

As a result of this thread, I was pulling for Coach Smart to be back at least one more year.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I feel the same way, but I think it's at the least something to consider. Richt is our Bob Stoops, and as much as I hate to think it, reality is Coach Smart will be highly sought after for many HC jobs. I can imagine Saban/Smart staying together long term, like Beamer/Foster, but situations like that these days are few and far between.
I am trying, but I can't figure out what you mean by this. How is Richt, Bama's Bob Stoops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TideRush

Scout Team
Jan 4, 2011
Looks like this thread willed Georgia to finally win a big game, thus probably ensuring Richt is around another year or two, and Coach Smart with us.......until someone else comes calling. I'm glad it was a good thread, lots of great thoughts. It was stated that Coach Smart is an outsider, and I have to absurdly disagree. While CNS is the spearhead, CKS is definitely to credit for fantastic coaching and a huge part of our success. Defense wins championships. There's some very good coaches I would like to see follow CNS if CKS is not the one or gone, but right now I think Dabo would be my top choice, but that's a thread for the offseason when nothing's going on. RTR-

P.S.-Any coach that personally takes on a 5ft snake at the river in flip-flops is definitely one of us.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'll get flamed for saying this..LOL..The only way I'd be good with Coach Smart taking over when Coach Saban retires, is if Coach Saban becomes our AD, and he can be there for Coach Smart, to help him along the 1st couple of years..Cause if Coach Smart can keep "The Process" going Bama will been in great shape for a long long time..I think it would be worth a shot..Flame away

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'll get flamed for saying this..LOL..The only way I'd be good with Coach Smart taking over when Coach Saban retires, is if Coach Saban becomes our AD, and he can be there for Coach Smart, to help him along the 1st couple of years..Cause if Coach Smart can keep "The Process" going Bama will been in great shape for a long long time..I think it would be worth a shot..Flame away
No flame from me. I doubt CNS will become an AD. Just don't see him in that role. He'll go to the lake instead and Kirby could have him on speed dial. ;) But I'd be OK with Smart continuing the process. He's been around so long he knows it as well as anybody. CKS would have to prove himself in two areas as he transitioned to a HC: managing other coaches and continuing the recruiting at the pace we are used to.

There will have to be some fall-off when CNS retires. It's only natural. If another HC comes in and tries to change anything he'll be crucified. Might has well let Kirby see if he can continue what's in place (again this assumes CKS is around at Bama when CNS hangs up his straw hat).

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.