How will A&M defense Bama?

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
VT put 8-9 in the box with stunts and blitzes to jam up our running game. Our passing game to for that matter.

I re-watched the 2012 TAMU vs LSU game and our game with TAMU. In the LSU game TAMU played them very similar to how VT played us and it was very effective for about 1 1/2 quarters. LSU went three and out until about midway through the second quarter but even with the three and outs they kept pounding the ball. Probably because their QB was still pretty inconsistent and unlike in our game with TAMU they held them to one TD and two FGs instead of three TD's they got on us in the first qtr.

In our game TAMU played us pretty straight up on defense. Maybe they learned that 8-9 in the box would only work for so long when the other team was determined to pound the ball. In the LSU game it was obvious LSU's physical power game eventually wore them down.

One other take away from the LSU/TAMU game, LSU being LSU played rough with TAMU's receivers. They didn't seem to like that much either.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
VT put 8-9 in the box with stunts and blitzes to jam up our running game. Our passing game to for that matter.

I re-watched the 2012 TAMU vs LSU game and our game with TAMU. In the LSU game TAMU played them very similar to how VT played us and it was very effective for about 1 1/2 quarters. LSU went three and out until about midway through the second quarter but even with the three and outs they kept pounding the ball. Probably because their QB was still pretty inconsistent and unlike in our game with TAMU they held them to one TD and two FGs instead of three TD's they got on us in the first qtr.

In our game TAMU played us pretty straight up on defense. Maybe they learned that 8-9 in the box would only work for so long when the other team was determined to pound the ball. In the LSU game it was obvious LSU's physical power game eventually wore them down.

One other take away from the LSU/TAMU game, LSU being LSU played rough with TAMU's receivers. They didn't seem to like that much either.
I think we can defense them by having about 7 or 8 (10 minute drives for TD's). Wow! That's more minutes than an official game. Oh well,
the best defense is that our offense is on the field the whole game.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
While I stand to be corrected, I read earlier this morning that A&M has 3 WR's who are 6'5" or taller, so alluding to your above observation that LSU played rough w A&M's WR's, I can't help but wonder whether doing so - w/in the rules, of course - might not be part of a formula for success...

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
After VT, I would think Aggie will stack the box and attempt to take away the run. Make AJ go over the top, which he was unable to do against VT.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
While I stand to be corrected, I read earlier this morning that A&M has 3 WR's who are 6'5" or taller, so alluding to your above observation that LSU played rough w A&M's WR's, I can't help but wonder whether doing so - w/in the rules, of course - might not be part of a formula for success...
It is actually 2 WRs and a very good TE, but you are correct - they are going to be tough to defend if Manziel gets time in the pocket.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
This is going to be a game for Grown Men to play and watch!

I think I'll just see what's on at the local movie theater so that my heart will still be beating after the game is over.

Yes, I'll DVR it, and watch it later but if I hear a score after that movie that's not to my liking, the heart could go at any moment.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
After VT, I would think Aggie will stack the box and attempt to take away the run. Make AJ go over the top, which he was unable to do against VT.
Hope that they do, because they do not have the personnel to pull this off in the secondary. If they play with 8 men in the box and man defense against your receivers, you will eat their lunch.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
It is actually 2 WRs and a very good TE, but you are correct - they are going to be tough to defend if Manziel gets time in the pocket.
They do have 3 receivers in the 6'5" range but only one is listed as a starter, (Evans), in their two deep. Seals-Jones is the FR that has high expectations but he either didn't play or catch a pass in their last game.

LSU banged them pretty hard. They caught some balls early but they paid for them. Evans, (returning), and Swope their two best took themselves out after some hits. I'm sure they were thinking about some of those hits later in the game. LSU picked Manziel 3 times and recovered 2 fumbles, most of those in the second half.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
They do have 3 receivers in the 6'5" range but only one is listed as a starter, (Evans), in their two deep. Seals-Jones is the FR that has high expectations but he either didn't play or catch a pass in their last game.

LSU banged them pretty hard. They caught some balls early but they paid for them. Evans, (returning), and Swope their two best took themselves out after some hits. I'm sure they were thinking about some of those hits later in the game. LSU picked Manziel 3 times and recovered 2 fumbles, most of those in the second half.
Seal-Jones is out ( knee)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Are we discussing how Alabama will defend A&M or how A&M will defend Bama?

I would expect A&M to load the box to stop the run like Va Tech, especially after their two poor performances without the suspended starters. I'm sure those guys will make a difference. Though they must ask if they'll be rusty. (A certain player mentioned yesterday they have more live-game action than Bama due to the bye week, so that works both ways.)

Regards to Alabama defending A&M, I would expect a consistent nickel or dime formation. Most likely 2 or 3 linemen with 2 or 3 LBs and load of guys in the secondary. The secondary was better in last season's matchup when Fulton replaced Vinnie.

RAB83

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 13, 2012
To answer some of the questions...

No one outside of A&M's locker room knows what's going to happen defensively. We haven't had key starters in either game we've played. Word is that safety Floyd Raven is hurt. That's bad news for us and good for you. His replacement made some bad mental mistakes and tackled poorly. Secondary was supposed to be our strength defensively. It's a concern.

Linebacker was a worry, but we're looking good. Sanders, a Juco transfer, was shaky against Rice, but stepped up this week. He's a good athlete. Nate Askew, who could (maybe should) play safety, looked solid. A freshman, Mastrogiovanni will be a stud. Claiborne, another freshman, showed good potential. Next week we get Stephen Jenkins back, who was suspended for the first two games and is the only returning starter at LB. Baggs has been okay, which I'll take.

I don't know what the D-line will look like. We'll have Obioha back, who is supposed to be our rush DE. Ennis was back this week and made a difference. Two freshman looked good, Golden and Walker. Manning is highly touted, but didn't see the field as much.

The Ags' DC, Mark Snyder is a scheme genius. He held some stuff out last year until the Bama game. I can only hope that between the returning players and Snyder's X's and O's, we will look better, because otherwise this will be a track meet.

I felt better about last year's game than this year. I think we'll score, but I don't know if we can stop you. Can we score enough? We'll know in a week.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I predict the same way they did last yr when they held us and the best Bama O-line in history to 24 pts. In other words, I don't expect we will see much of a change from their D from what we saw last fall.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.