Poll: If we win the toss vs. A&M, offense or defense first?

If Alabama wins the coin toss vs. Texas A&M, what should Coach Saban choose?

• Total voters

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I say offense. Give the o-line an early shot at redemption, see if we can put together a long clock eating drive and put A&M in a hole early. What say you?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saban will take the ball, but I would defer and play defense. I have more confidence in your ability to stop Manziel from the outset than in your ability to score on the first drive.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I prefer defense first but in light of this being the biggest game in the history of Kyle Field, I'm not so sure it wouldn't be better to take the ball first. If aTm gets it first & scores, you have a raucous crowd screaming wild on your first possession.

There's a reason he's the coach & I'm in the house chair.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I prefer defense first but in light of this being the biggest game in the history of Kyle Field, I'm not so sure it wouldn't be better to take the ball first. If aTm gets it first & scores, you have a raucous crowd screaming wild on your first possession.

There's a reason he's the coach & I'm in the house chair.
Until you take control of this game, the crowd will be CRAZY.

RammerJammer91

1st Team
Nov 27, 2012
I'd go on Defense first. I'd love nothing more to score before the half and then get the ball right back to start the 3rd quarter and go down the field on them again.

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
Almost without exception I'd take defense--this is the "almost". I say let's take the ball and run it down their throat early and keep Mr. Football on the sidelines a little longer.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Through my lifetime watching the Tide, we always seemed to play D when we won the toss. Since Saban's tenure, he seems to tend to do the opposite. I don't expect this game to be any different.

I'd tend to say put the D out there, but I expect to see the offense first if we win the toss..and like stated above, that's why Saban is the man and I'm just an armchair coach...

Johnnyb

1st Team
Jan 4, 2011
Huntsville, AL
We sure as heck better not choose defense! Either receive or differ.

Unless we're feeling bold and want to give them the ball in both halves.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
We sure as heck better not choose defense! Either receive or differ.

Unless we're feeling bold and want to give them the ball in both halves.
I remember that happening a few years ago. The team that won the toss said "We'll kick" and the ref was like "Really?" The other team got the ball to start both halves :p

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think we play D first -- so we have the ball starting the second half. I'd rather their D be on the field as long as possible in the 2nd half....

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Score on the first drive to take the crowd out of the game. On their first drive make them go three and out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.