The Rip/Liz Match answer to aTm's offense

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
If you've read that, and I've read that, I bet TAMU has as well. My hope is that Monday or Tuesday of next week there will be interesting article going into great depth about how Saban was able to shut down Manziel.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I enjoy technical-sounding articles, even though I have only a foggy idea of what they are trying to teach. However, it seems to me that winning always boils down to having more talent, what you might call Grant/Sherman Civil War football: "go where he goes and make sure he hurts". The Aggie offense have an unequaled athlete and a number of excellent ones, Bama's defense has a larger number of excellent athletes, the rest of the article is interesting mumbo-jumbo that Alabama has to trust each of its players to defeat their assignment in detail.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My thinking as well.

My brother sarcastically (but somewhat serious) idea yesterday - throw Reuben Foster out there to just chase Johnny on every play.
Not really a bad idea. Even a freshman can understand "get the quarterback." I'd hate to be caught up with, if I were JM...

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Great article! I predict many blitzes with press man coverage.
I'd expect us to try a similar approach as ND with pressure from 5 and press man as you suggest. I'd also look for us to bring pressure to the right side of their OL and try to push JM to the left while that side of the defensive front takes a more "contain" approach.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I enjoy technical-sounding articles, even though I have only a foggy idea of what they are trying to teach. However, it seems to me that winning always boils down to having more talent, what you might call Grant/Sherman Civil War football: "go where he goes and make sure he hurts". The Aggie offense have an unequaled athlete and a number of excellent ones, Bama's defense has a larger number of excellent athletes, the rest of the article is interesting mumbo-jumbo that Alabama has to trust each of its players to defeat their assignment in detail.
Well, it's not quite that simple. The best athletes in the world won't win you squat if they are out of position. A good coach -in any sport- puts his players into good position so that they may use those superior athletic skills to make plays. Part of the reason JFF is as dangerous as he is is that CKS puts him in a good position to make plays so that JFF can use his natural abilities to their fullest.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I do think a key to the game is to make sure to hit their QB as hard as permissible within the rules of football every time you can. Letting him scramble for 8 yards and duck out of bounds is the path to defeat. Gang tackle, hit him hard and cleanly early in the game and he becomes less effective....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think he hits on two of the problems TAMU presented in 2012. I think we fell into the dual-threat in spread quarterback trap where you're too scared of his legs and you end up playing passive coverages and ineffectual rush looks. I think aggressiveness with the TAMU offense is the key. The issue TAMU presented to the Rip/Liz was their slot quickly hooking for a 5 yard pass before anyone could react. They played the fact that his man was going to retreat off the snap when he goes vertical then he sat in an area none of the zones could catch him before the catch. It will be interesting to see what they deploy on Saturday.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
rgw, did you notice this quote? More basketball analogies from Saban.

"There are times in a game when you must deny the ball. It is like basketball. If you want to get the ball back at the end of a game, you cannot play a two-three zone defense," Saban said this summer. Alabama would concede nothing: "You have to get on them and deny the ball. In football, you cannot deny the ball playing zone coverage."

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
I just like the one LSU fan in the comments that said he stopped reading because it was ridiculous to think that JM got better in the 3 weeks between playing LSU and Bama. Sadly, no body brought up Mettenberger's improvement the week before Bama and the Bama game.

I just like the one LSU fan in the comments that said he stopped reading because it was ridiculous to think that JM got better in the 3 weeks between playing LSU and Bama. Sadly, no body brought up Mettenberger's improvement the week before Bama and the Bama game.
That's why I don't listen to LSU fans. None and I mean NONE of them make any sense. I do have some AU friends that can at least talk a little football.

Sent from my iPhone

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
I have been to 5 Alabama vs LSU games and have never been around them at much. I usually just stay away. I never really visited this sight before their banning. Because of this I have never had any interaction with them when talking football. But everyone says they're terrible.

That's why I don't listen to LSU fans. None and I mean NONE of them make any sense. I do have some AU friends that can at least talk a little football.

Sent from my iPhone

I have been to 5 Alabama vs LSU games and have never been around them at much. I usually just stay away. I never really visited this sight before their banning. Because of this I have never had any interaction with them when talking football. But everyone says they're terrible.
Believe me, it's AU fans times 57! It only takes one!

Sent from my iPhone

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.