Falling Dominoes: Firing of Brown, Kiffin Would Have Ripple Effect

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
don't see texas as the type of program that would "settle" on a coordinator at this point in time and i really hope CNS doesn't have Paul Pasq's phone number on speed dial

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Whoever gets the job, they better make damned sure that they are gonna be able to do it without a bunch of meddling from above, especially from Deloss Dodds.

Im guessing CKS would rely heavily on Coach Saban's advice. Even a job like UT is no good if one's hands are tied from above. You can bet that Coach Saban had that made clear before he cme here.

W.G. Pops

Jul 24, 2013
As much as I have nightmares over losing Smart, I would much rather him go out of conference than to a job say at Georgia or (name your SEC team). That way when Saban retires in 20 years he will be much more willing to come back :cool:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
2 things:

1) Isn't USC in the middle of scholarship reductions that will make it difficult to succeed there? If so, why would a successful coach like Fitzgerald or a highly regarded coordinator take that job this year?
2) Fitzgerald is beloved in Chicago and has been quoted as saying he's finally got NW recruiting headed the way he wants. No way he leaves that job for USC (especially if #1 is correct).

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
Gruden's name keeps being mentioned for potential vacancies, but I don't see any logic in him giving up the plush job he has. Coaching is so demanding and he seems to like his announcing position. Whatever happens, I believe Mack Brown is gone after this season. Smart is primed and ready to make a move; we can't keep him forever. And yes, wherever he goes, I hope it is outside the SEC.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Whoever gets the job, they better make damned sure that they are gonna be able to do it without a bunch of meddling from above, especially from Deloss Dodds.

Im guessing CKS would rely heavily on Coach Saban's advice. Even a job like UT is no good if one's hands are tied from above. You can bet that Coach Saban had that made clear before he cme here.
Spot on Tommy and you can add to that list many wealthy Bevoers who want a say in the program's direction. IMO, if Patterson is not on their short list is Art Briles or is he too beneath Texas's consideration?

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Kiffens will stay at usc until sanctions are finished, he is about as good as they can do at the moment. Coach Smart probably wants no part of the pony circus going on at UT, I wouldn't want a HC job at a program in a down hill spiral and have my hands tied by the boosters. CKS can do better imo.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
I think Kiffin will be kept until they're over sanctions as well. It's the only reasonable explanation of why he was hired in the first place.

Mack at UT on the other hand, might have hit on their last nerve.
I'm guessing Patterson and Briles for sure due to their recruiting connections and maybe Smart and Strong as well would likely be on their short list.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Strong and Petrino will both land some where bigger and better but UT might have their eyes on Kevin Summerlin unless they are too bitter at tamu for bolting for the SEC, that might be like Bama trying to hire a barn HC.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
If Kirby Smart were to be offered the UTx job, he would be a fool not to take it unless the alternative (for him, anyway) would be Saban committing to retiring either immediately or at most, the following season. I don't expect Saban to retire, so thus I would expect Smart to go to Texas. Even with all of Texas' meddling, it's a slam dunk for him.

However, I don't see Pasqualoni being the guy to replace him. I'm not even sure Rumph would be the next DC. Saban usually picks the DC from the LB or DB assistant groups, because those guys have more help (2 LB coaches, Saban assists DB coaches) and can afford to take on more. As was already mentioned, this defense is pretty much the same no matter who is coordinating; it's Saban's defense. Smart's biggest contribution during the game is the pre-snap audible calls from the sideline, not necessarily the game-week preparation. Remember, too, that Alabama was Smart's first DC gig under Saban, so the prospect of Saban hiring someone relatively unproven is not out of the question. The biggest impediment to Pasqualoni or any other veteran coach being Alabama's DC is that, unlike the offense, the defense is directly and unequivocally Saban's brainchild, and sometimes bringing in a veteran coach creates friction rather than producing a harmonious marriage of ideas.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I don't see Petrino's return from the wilderness having anywhere near that happy an ending. The radioactivity is cooling, true. But you still have a guy who can't be trusted, breaks rules, treats everyone around him like compost and has never shown that he can run a program. Great offensive mind, true. But he doesn't recruit, ignores the defense, slowly bleeds a team dry and then leaves. Where can I get two?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.