Five SEC Players Alleged To Have Taken Impermissible Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Re: Five SEC Players Took Impermissible Benefits

No, I don't, but I heard a reference to Saul earlier. I'd have let it pass but then saw the ad. Yes, I'm out of the loop, but I at least want to know.
Saul Goodman is a character on the show Breaking Bad. He is not just a criminal lawyer, he is a CRIMINAL lawyer. There will be a spinoff show, "Better Call Saul" (the catchphrase on his TV ad)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Saul Goodman is a character on the show Breaking Bad. He is not just a criminal lawyer, he is a CRIMINAL lawyer. There will be a spinoff show, "Better Call Saul" (the catchphrase on his TV ad)
I'm about as far out of the loop as Selma is. Just seeing the promos for that show makes me want to smash a TV. As a cancer survivor, the whole premise of that show infuriates me. I'll leave it at that, so this does not go straight to NS.

Actually................that might be a blessing. It has nothing to do with stomping a mudhole in TPI. That's what I want to talk about, Jack.

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus

Looks like Davis was not the only pimp with Bama ties. :rolleye2:

Those agents are Andy Simms of PlayersRep Sports Management, Peter Schaffer of Authentic Athletix and John Phillips, who was formerly the owner of Breakthrough Sports Agency (BTSA), but now focuses on his personal injury legal practice.
http://j.mp/18dAwp3

(Sept 2010) John Phillips is a 10-year trial lawyer and a rookie sports agent, having just secured certification through the NFL Players Association last October. Now he's trying to change the corrupt athlete-agent culture from within — not only as owner of the Breakthrough Sports Agency, but by authoring a law review article that looks at how his profession has spiraled out of control to the point where in May several agents and more than a dozen underclassmen college football players flaunted the rules by partying together in South Beach, Fla.
http://j.mp/18dAsFN

About John M. Phillips

John was named a Bedsole Scholar, attending the University of Alabama on full scholarship. There, he received a Bachelors Degree and a Juris Doctorate (Law Degree)
http://www.knowthelawyer.com/about-john-m-phillips/

NFL agent John Phillips

Phillips – a lawyer and University of Alabama alumnus – told Yahoo Sports in July that he briefly represented Davis during the 2011 NFL draft and also engaged Davis while writing a book on the Crimson Tide's 2009 national championship team. He also said that he gave Davis money for rent and that Davis set up in-person meetings with Marcell Dareus following the 2011 season, and D.J. Fluker during the 2012 season. But Phillips insisted neither Davis nor Fluker asked for money during the Crimson Tide's 2012 national championship run.

"They never asked me for money, either one of them, for D.J. during the season," Phillips said in July. "Luther knew me better than that – that I wouldn't do it because it's a felony. My legal career has always been more important to me."

"There were a few occasions I'd pay [Luther's] rent. But it was never 'Here's $3,000 to go sign, or get someone, or go wine and dine.' "

Financial records turned over to Yahoo Sports included a $10,000 check Phillips made out to Davis on Sept. 28, 2012. The date on the check preceded a 1:45 a.m. meeting on Sept. 30 between Phillips, Fluker and Davis at a La Quinta Inn in Tuscaloosa which was revealed in text message records.

In the text records, Davis notifies Phillips that he is picking up Fluker following Alabama's 33-14 home win over Ole Miss, and bringing him to meet Phillips at his hotel. Following the meeting on Sept. 30, records show that Davis deposited Phillips' $10,000 check on Oct. 1.

Asked about the check in an August interview, Phillips declined to comment, but added:

"On or off [the record] or whatever, I really doubt a dime of any of that ever hit its intended target," Phillips said. "I mean, I think Luther was just hustling."

Asked if the intended target of the check was D.J. Fluker, Phillips said, "Yeah. I mean, whomever."

Phillips also declined to comment on the following text message exchanges:
http://j.mp/1d6AuPc

Last edited:

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn

No, that's not what I mean and I think you know that. I haven't and won't call these young men guilty unless they are proven to have done something wrong. Contrary to what you seem to feel comfortable thinking, those who hold opinions you don't like aren't necessarily stupid. I don't need these players to illustrate that good people make mistakes. There are plenty of other examples around that I've used in the past to make that point. Don't get mad at me because some of your heroes might have fallen. You can bet that I won't follow the example of excusing bad behavior because it suits unsavory ulterior motives. I can and perhaps will use the current situation as a teachable moment. Is it wrong of me to regret that it might be Alabama players that are the focus of such a lesson? The possibility certainly doesn't bring about a feeling of pride.
I understand that you're upset. I'm irritated in the extreme too, and I also lived through Jelks-Langham-Means-Dark ages-textbook gate-awesome. I'm not trying to call you out, but I'd like to make a point really quickly with your earlier post.

Huckleberry said:
To what do you refer? Yeah, I think cheating is a big deal. I do my best to teach the value of honesty and hard work to my students. I use players at Alabama (as well as many other successful individuals) as examples of those who uphold those standards and reap the well-earned rewards. Is it wrong to feel strongly about such things? Do you suggest I look elsewhere than our campus for those people?
These players, Fluker in particular, worked their tails off! They earned everything they got with blood, sweat, and tears.

Do you remember DJ getting blown up in his first Spring Game? Earle had to warn us to stop using his name as a pejorative. Getting reverse pancake blocked was a Fluker. His mistake of accepting cash, however harmful it may prove to be The University of Alabama, doesn't undo all of his hard work; it simply tells us that he made the mistake of taking some money he probably needed to get close to the standard of living you or I likely have.

Calling him a liar and discrediting everything he did while here only makes you look selfish IMO. TKIFWIW

CrimsonJag

All-American
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville, FL

I recommend DJ be suspended for the first half of any game against the Jaguars because my Jags are JUST THAT GOOD and don't want to see him get hurt.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Made a few phone calls. And the truth is, you don't wanna know the truth. Or know the truth but don't wanna believe it.

All that aside. Long story short, we're gonna be ok....

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

I understand that you're upset. I'm irritated in the extreme too, and I also lived through Jelks-Langham-Means-Dark ages-textbook gate-awesome. I'm not trying to call you out, but I'd like to make a point really quickly with your earlier post.

These players, Fluker in particular, worked their tails off! They earned everything they got with blood, sweat, and tears.

Do you remember DJ getting blown up in his first Spring Game? Earle had to warn us to stop using his name as a pejorative. Getting reverse pancake blocked was a Fluker. His mistake of accepting cash, however harmful it may prove to be The University of Alabama, doesn't undo all of his hard work; it simply tells us that he made the mistake of taking some money he probably needed to get close to the standard of living you or I likely have.

Calling him a liar and discrediting everything he did while here only makes you look selfish IMO. TKIFWIW
I appreciate your effort to understand what I'm saying. However, if you read my posts, you'll see that I never say that Fluker is guilty nor did I ever attempt to discredit everything he or any other player has done for the University. Posting about some nasty looking evidence in a thread about that evidence means that I have no respect for the player? If you took it that way, I feel that you were reading way too much between the lines. My first comment was in reference to the disappointment I will feel should the evidence that is out right now prove to be a smoking gun against the involved Alabama players. I don't want that to be the case. It was a discussion of a hypothetical situation and clearly reads that way. The second post you refer to is in response to sarcasm from a poster who decided that a strawman argument was the best way to mischaracterize that earlier post. I think you'll see that if you read all of that part of the thread. If I wasn't clear, I apologize.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003

Made a few phone calls. And the truth is, you don't wanna know the truth. Or know the truth but don't wanna believe it.

All that aside. Long story short, we're gonna be ok....
No offense, but that didn't make any sense. If we're gonna be okay, why would we be fearful of the truth?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I'm not going to get down on DJ, cause he's a great family man, that had to help raise his family, instead of being able to enjoy life as a teenager..I respect him tremendously for that..I'm ticked off at the Agent(or Pimp I should say) for bringing this bad news to Bama Football.. He took advantage of that bad situation DJ was dealing with at home by flashing cash at DJ, if we were to be honest about it for a minute, if we were in the same situation, I'm not ashamed to say admit..I'd find it hard not to take the money as well..

The agent should be "Tarred & Feathered" inside Bryant Denny for taking advantage of DJ'd hardship situation at home..It's repulsive what the Pimp did, And I hope "Karma" bites him on the backside for bringing on this un-needed situation to Bama Football..

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

I recommend DJ be suspended for the first half of any game against the Jaguars because my Jags are JUST THAT GOOD and don't want to see him get hurt.
LOL! Now, that's the kind of humor that can ease the tension in this thread. The Jags last game was ummmm... a bit discouraging. I heard folks at work today saying that they were hoping for a winless season so the next franchise QB can be drafted with Jacksonville's first pick.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

No offense, but that didn't make any sense. If we're gonna be okay, why would we be fearful of the truth?
I've spoken at length about this topic in general in threads similar to this case. I'm tired as all get out, and won't rehash it all here. But again, we're gonna be ok.

This will more than likely be my only contribution to this thread. So again...to make it short. We're gonna be ok

RammerJammer91

1st Team
Nov 27, 2012

I've spoken at length about this topic in general in threads similar to this case. I'm tired as all get out, and won't rehash it all here. But again, we're gonna be ok.

This will more than likely be my only contribution to this thread. So again...to make it short. We're gonna be ok
I hope you're right, but we'll see what happens!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Sorty of D.J. Fluker receiving extra benefits

In an unrelated story, we are playing a really big football game this weekend.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Sorty of D.J. Fluker receiving extra benefits

Btw - keep in mind that the reason we are so prominent here is because of who we are. MSU had two players with the same stuff - and nobody outside of StarkVegas even knows their names. Our name leads the story because we are so successful. If we were Rice (for example), nobody would know or care.

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD

Alabama fans are traumatized. Alabama was hammered over a signature on a napkin, a rogue booster paying for a non-contributor, and a really big deal made over friggin' textbooks (which ironically set Alabama up now). So, it's hard not to be hysterical, because when we hear Alabama, and the NCAA, we know that the NCAA has a special way of treating Alabama...

On the practical side of things, Fluker, Cam and Johnny are not comparable. Fluker was homeless, if there's any poster boy for stipends and the like he fits the bill. I am not justifying breaking the rules, however, Fluker is the one person who had moral justification out of the three. He had a prior relationship, and a need. The case could be made there was no violation, although it would appear that what went on was at least a violation of the spirit of the rules.

The saving grace in this situation could also be a bit of a weak point. This isn't just Alabama. This is also Miss. State, and Tennessee (which also means extra chances to find proof of wrong doing). Slive has gone to bat for other SEC programs, he's not likely to want to throw three of them under the bus. So, you have to think the whole lawyer up thing is coming. It needs to, because now it is as simple as this. Other programs have gotten away with worse, even if guilty, Alabama shouldn't do time while worse offenders are walking around free. There's no justification for that.

Alabama can't give an inch here. Logically, rationally, if the NCAA actually chose to behave this way, Alabama might admit wrong doing and the punishment would be something along the lines of the loss of a couple scholarships or something. But, the NCAA doesn't seem to be in the habit of that sort of offering. What they would offer, is a longer probation period, vacated wins and titles, and that sort of thing. Even with no knowledge of wrong doing on the part of the University.

Alabama only has one choice. Lawyer up, fight this tooth and nail. I wish the NCAA was logical and rational, I really do. Because, in a case like this Alabama could do the work for the NCAA, own to to any wrong doing, and get a modest punishment. That's just not how the NCAA works though. If Alabama lawyers up completely, they probably get 0 punishment, and that's a lot more fair than to get hammered while other offenders face no punishment at all.

So, Alabama has 0 evidence of wrong doing. Alabama talked to the athletes and they told Alabama there was 0 wrong doing. Alabama believes this is a complete fabrication, etc... that's all there is to it. Alabama hasn't seen any proof, and until the NCAA shows them proof, then none of this occurred.
I agree with this post. Alabama needs lawyer up and deny to the hilt. If the NCAA vacates wins, sue. And appeal if necessary.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Paul Finebaum even scoffed at the idea that the media "reported this as soon as they got the information."

This is a great time to advance the narrative of late with pay and players.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Paul Finebaum even scoffed at the idea that the media "reported this as soon as they got the information."

This is a great time to advance the narrative of late with pay and players.
Yeah, really great for Yahoo to try to catch up with the big boys. What can we do? Aha! Let's release it on Bear's birthday anniversary with the most-watched game of the season coming up on Saturday. All we'll have competing is that 9/11 stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.