Five SEC Players Alleged To Have Taken Impermissible Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaJeff

Hall of Fame
Oct 12, 1999
Dothan, AL.
Re: Five SEC Players Took Impermissible Benefits

Can anyone answer? If our administration had not knowledge of the situation, what is the worse that can happen? If they did have knowledge, are we looking at a USC type of punishment?
The truth is....no one on here can honestly say what's gonna happen.

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010

we need a grill thread after this rope thread fill our meat locker:biggrin2:
No. This is what I like to call a "Rope Thread." This is the type of topic that gets the Chicken Littles' Catastrophic Thinking Instinct to kick into high gear. They keep at it until they eventually hang themselves into a time out. Hence... Rope Thread.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I'm just getting home from the hospital cause my Mom was put back in & I haven't read the entire thread..So I apologize if this has been discussed already in this thread..

The State Of Alabama if possible, needs to prosecute these agents & make them pay with jail times for crap like this, I honestly don't see any other way to stop these agents(or Pimps as Coach Saban calls them)..Can the State go after these agents???..

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

If the NCAA can retroactively declare a player ineligible, why can't we retroactively suspend the player before they do that, and thus avoid the whole vacating games nonsense?

Bud

3rd Team
Jul 25, 2000
Jacksonville, FL. USA

What am I missing here? I keep reading about this well documented paper trail, but when I click on the link "evidence" in the yahoo.com/sports article - I find 12 documents that seem relatively minor. Is there other stuff that I'm overlooking, because those 12 documents don't really seem to say something that can't be easily countered. A 300 transfer Western Union from former teammate that was formerly on an NFL team...a quote for an insurance policy...key word to me is "quote". I see a flight itinerary for Luther Davis and some others and flight and lunch at some place in Gulf Shores. Did I miss something about DJ being on that flight? No evidence who bought lunch, it's ok to talk to agents. Bama actually brings agents on campus to talk to players. Stinson is mentioned as a lunch guest (in the article it mentions he didn't show). The flight from Pensacola to Md the week after the SEC CG is to me the most difficult to explain. The furniture...I'm still going with "previous teammate helping another out". Granted the narrative paints a somewhat different picture but there I didn't see any visual documentation of the texts from a "phone linked to DJ Fluker".

Am I missing additional documentation? Is the "DJ Invoice" on line somewhere? The pictures of the texts regarding Mark Barron?

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Everybody remain calm and look forward to Rammer Jammer about 6pm Saturday. We were all tearing our eyes out about textbook gate and the MI/JJ fishing trip too.
Textbook gate resulted in unprecedented vacated wins (for textbook violations) for us. That's not a great example to use, IMO.

My thing is that NO ONE - Not Earle, not GCT, not Dan Wenzel - NOBODY - knows what the NCAA will do. It doesn't matter what they should do, what they have done, or what they are supposed to do within their own rules. They do what they want, and that's the biggest problem with the NCAA.

Now - with that said, all we can do is ride it out. There's no reason to get crazy and start jumping off the cliff. Let's just hope that the NCAA finds that the AD had no knowledge of this and it just blows over.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Well what I see is evidence the invoice, etc. This just makes me MAD our star players accept benefits. How stupid can you be? This means we will more & likely forfeit 2012 games, sec & championship over greedy players that can not wait for NFL. So he we go again more Sanctions & ban bowls 2yrs or more...ugh! :mad:
This. If true, it's the deliberate rule-breaking and the blatantly selfish disregard for the possible implications that are the most disappointing. I hate the NCAA's selective and hypocritical policing of violations. The "looking down the barrel of a gun" statement was one of the most lowdown and disgaceful moments in the history of a tremendously corrupt organization. I hope I live to see the day that the NCAA as we know it ceases to exist. The power players in college sports need to do away with the pseudo-UN model by which rules are made. However, until that happens, all member schools agreed to be governed by a monster they created. If no one is willing to accept the rulings, then toss off the charade of caring about the NCAA guidelines and dare them to do something about it. Anything else, particularly the maudlin arguments about poverty making violating the rules something to be overlooked, smacks of hypocrisy. There are plenty of folks in prison because of actions they took due to severe financial issues. Should they be excused?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Rope thread..... I like it!

Chicken Littles..... I love it!

Time out..... :)

Some of these posts are absolutely laughable. Jeez... calm down folks!

RTR!!!
Honestly, it is hard to calm down when you've "starred down the barrel of a gun."

You know how many long-term Bama men/women feel about the NAZI and their possibly coming to our campus.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

Though I've scanned most of the posts in this thread, I haven't read them all. So I apologize if the question's already been asked and answered, I see that others have already discussed the mention of Ed Stinson and concluded that there's no allegation that Stinson ever even traveled on the "private flight".

Here's my concern: knowing how careful and serious UA's become on the subject of compliance over the past 5yrs, what are the chances that, just to be safe, ES is voluntarily pulled from participation until his eligibility is officially confirmed by the NCAA? If this were to occur, how prepared are A'Shawn Robinson and/or LaMichael Fanning at picking up the slack? Would the dropoff be significant?

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida

Honestly, it is hard to calm down when you've "starred down the barrel of a gun."

You know how many long-term Bama men/women feel about the NAZI and their possibly coming to our campus.
No, it's really not hard to calm down. Choose to focus on something else. Choose to recognize that it is what it is and none of us fans has an ounce of control or say-so over any of it.

Honestly, the way college football is "governed" these past 20 years or so, it's a wonder we even still play on Saturdays, but we do. One way or the other, all these universities still field a team every year. Funny how that happens.

All will be well.

statgrad96

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 26, 2008

Interesting about the insurance. Remember this?

Report: Tebow insured for roughly $2M

Updated: July 27, 2009, 1:47 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

How much are a Heisman Trophy, two national championships and the adoration of a legion of Florida Gator fans worth? About $2 million.

Tebow
Gators quarterback Tim Tebow disclosed at SEC Media Days on Thursday he has taken out roughly $2 million worth of insurance policies, Florida Today reported.
The senior quarterback told Florida Today he didn't even consider buying the insurance until head coach Urban Meyer stepped in.
"How many times does a guy really take advantage of that insurance?" Tebow told Florida Today. "I have it but that's because he [Gators coach Urban Meyer] made me get it. I didn't even want to go up [get more] or anything with it."
Tebow's policies are in case of injuries -- a practice allowed under NCAA regulations. Usually, the premiums on the policies are not paid until after the players sign an NFL contract.
Tebow declined to raise his policy amount this year. Florida Today reported he could have qualified for as much as $6 million if he purchased the policy through an independent agent.
"I don't think negatively like something is going to happen," Tebow said to Florida Today. "It was more Coach Meyer and Coach [Dan] Mullen when he was [at UF] who wanted us to get it."
Policies are available through both the NCAA and independent agencies.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Here's my concern: knowing how careful and serious UA's become on the subject of compliance over the past 5yrs, what are the chances that, just to be safe, ES is voluntarily pulled from participation until his eligibility is officially confirmed by the NCAA?
The last time Alabama did this, the NCAA hit them pretty hard over something really quite minor. Alabama needs to claim no knowledge of wrong going, and lawyer up well. That's the only approach to take. Basically, force the NCAA into the position of being their only source for information. So, if the NCAA can't prove anything, (and the lawyers should do their part to insure the NCAA doesn't do anything inappropriate), then there's no punishment.

If Alabama suspends a player, then that's the textbook/Langham thing all over again. As soon as Alabama suspended a player, they are likely to be punished by the NCAA..

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

No, it's really not hard to calm down. Choose to focus on something else. Choose to recognize that it is what it is and none of us fans has an ounce of control or say-so over any of it.

Honestly, the way college football is "governed" these past 20 years or so, it's a wonder we even still play on Saturdays, but we do. One way or the other, all these universities still field a team every year. Funny how that happens.

All will be well.
I know I need to take your advise, but that's difficult. Just look at my NAME! I'm full of Bama just like that Lewis guy was against Rice in the Cotton Bowl in the 1950's.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

And Coach Bryant's 100th birthday. It's all about the timing. YooHoo sports, the leader in ????? Uhhh, oh well.

RTR!!!
I suspect the timing has more to do with all the pub SI is getting over the Okie Dokie State articles and less to do with us, the Bear's b-day or the big game this weekend. Contrary to what many want to believe not everything that happens is calculated to harm our program. I think this is Yahoos attempt to steal a bit of SI's spotlight.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

So you mean that actions by a couple of individuals means you can no longer use anybody associated with the UA football program as an example of honesty and hard work?

These are 23 year old men from less than well off families and they're surrounded by a river of money. DJ Fluker and Luther Davis did a disservice to Alabama and themselves, but you could hold off on damnation, hell fire, and brimstone. Why don't you try leveling with your students and explaining to them that good people make mistakes and poor choices.
No, that's not what I mean and I think you know that. I haven't and won't call these young men guilty unless they are proven to have done something wrong. Contrary to what you seem to feel comfortable thinking, those who hold opinions you don't like aren't necessarily stupid. I don't need these players to illustrate that good people make mistakes. There are plenty of other examples around that I've used in the past to make that point. Don't get mad at me because some of your heroes might have fallen. You can bet that I won't follow the example of excusing bad behavior because it suits unsavory ulterior motives. I can and perhaps will use the current situation as a teachable moment. Is it wrong of me to regret that it might be Alabama players that are the focus of such a lesson? The possibility certainly doesn't bring about a feeling of pride.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Though I've scanned most of the posts in this thread, I haven't read them all. So I apologize if the question's already been asked and answered, I see that others have already discussed the mention of Ed Stinson and concluded that there's no allegation that Stinson ever even traveled on the "private flight".

Here's my concern: knowing how careful and serious UA's become on the subject of compliance over the past 5yrs, what are the chances that, just to be safe, ES is voluntarily pulled from participation until his eligibility is officially confirmed by the NCAA? If this were to occur, how prepared are A'Shawn Robinson and/or LaMichael Fanning at picking up the slack? Would the dropoff be significant?
IF? Stinson is pulled (and he won't be) it weakens our defense but not severely. I'm not concerned because our AD was aware of the story long before it went public.

RTR!!!

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

The last time Alabama did this, the NCAA hit them pretty hard over something really quite minor. Alabama needs to claim no knowledge of wrong going, and lawyer up well. That's the only approach to take. Basically, force the NCAA into the position of being their only source for information. So, if the NCAA can't prove anything, (and the lawyers should do their part to insure the NCAA doesn't do anything inappropriate), then there's no punishment.

If Alabama suspends a player, then that's the textbook/Langham thing all over again. As soon as Alabama suspended a player, they are likely to be punished by the NCAA..
Agreed. But I wasn't exactly asking what we should do. How prepared are A'Shawn and LaMichael?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.