Five SEC Players Alleged To Have Taken Impermissible Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Re: Five SEC Players Took Impermissible Benefits

I'm starting to get nervous. Realistically, will we have to vacate the 2 NC's?

realistically, yes. If fluker did accept money from agents, or a runner. By rule, he would be ineligble after the improper benefits were received. Lots of additional things would factor into it; nothing has shown that anyone within the administration or staff would have been aware of it, no booster involvement has been indicated, our compliance department does a great job of educating and monitoring the athletes, we're no longer on probation, etc...these among many others would be factors...

Im frustrated, but understanding of flukers situation at the same time...i'm so torn.

Last edited:

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

That video is a joke, you can't compare this to USC and Reggie Bush. USC didn't get hammered because Bush took money, they got hammered because people at the school knew Bush was taking money and the school did nothing about it. So far, there is no evidence that any of the schools in the Yahoo story knew anything about this stuff while it was happening.
Trevor Matich has never appeared to be a Bama hater, so his comments more than concerned me. He basically states if allegations are true then we'll be forced to give back not one but two crystal trophies. He didn't say anything about the university having knowledge of what may or may not have happened. Just if its proven to be true trophies gone. I don't know what to believe or think anymore.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

What would I have done if I were in D.J. Fluker's position? I don't know. I am sure there was a lot of pressure, even guilt, living the dream as an big star Alabama football player while your family is still struggling. There are a lot of athletes in this position. Should we give them all a pass? I don't think so. I do think I want to know more about what actually happened though. Luther Davis seems to have just taken advantage of current relationships and took a job with unscrupulous characters. Was he really trying to help D.J. and his family?
Here's the key to all of this. Davis is not going to own up to anything, lest he face criminal prosecution in the state of Alabama. Also, the fact that Davis was from Alabama gives them a bit more cover. There was a prior relationship, players wouldn't have known or had cause to avoid him like players from other schools would.

So, that leaves only DJ. If DJ admits to taking any money (which he probably shouldn't do), he should say it was a loan from a friend. He had no knowledge of Davis being a runner, he had no knowledge of it being a violation. It was only a loan from a friend. Let's see the NCAA hammer Alabama over a formerly homeless guy taking a loan from a friend. That won't go over well.

In reality, there are a lot of possibilities here. The worst is that DJ knowingly took money, from the runner for an agent, with the understanding that he was to provide something in return. The best (assuming money did change hands) is that Fluker believed it to be a loan from a friend, which he had a prior relationship with as they were teammates. Remember, Davis was signed to the Bills. Fluker had ever reason to believe his former teammate would have the money to loan him.

Last edited:

TidePhin

All-SEC
Feb 25, 2005
Hoover, AL

realistically, yes. If fluker did accept money from agents, or a runner. By rule, he would be ineligble after the improper benefits were received. Lots of additional things would factor into it; nothing has shown that anyone within the administration or staff would have been aware of it, no booster involvement has been indicated, our compliance department does a great job of educating and monitoring the athletes, we're no longer on probation, etc...these among many others would be factors...

Im frustrated, but understanding of flukers situation at the same time...i'm so torn.
Well if the two NC's wind up being vacated, Saban will probably try the NFL one last time.

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL

I have read the whole thread and I have no idea what will happen. My issue is the people blaming the media or whoever. The blame is on two people here. The agent and the player. There are no excuses for what Fluker did? We can try to look at it through crimson colored glasses but this whole mess is his fault. If this had been a story about Scam Newton or Johnny Manziel we would be crucifying them.
Fluker was given a four year ride to school worth roughly 96,000 dollars. Most people would give anything for that. It just shows he cares nothing about the University. He let greed get the best of him and he may cost us two National Championships.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006

My feeling exactly. On one hand I'm sympathetic to DJ's plight, but on the other hand he knowingly broke the rules without regard for his team. He and others may not like the rules or feel that they are just, but no one forced him to sign the scholarship that required him to follow them. I'm beyond disappointed. That being said, I don't think this will amount to much in the way of sanctions against the school.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

If there's any consistency I've seen from the NCAA, it is in ones best interest to procure legal counsel and representation. Watching the Means, Newton, and Manziel sagas unfold, I say lawyer up. I wish we didn't have to, but if our AD is foolish enough not to learn from the past, we are in a heap of trouble. The NCAA is looking for relevance, and will try to make an example of someone. We've been that someone too much already.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

From what I read in the report, the 2011 championship is safe. All the allegations surrounding Fluker are dated in 2012.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

From what I read in the report, the 2011 championship is safe. All the allegations surrounding Fluker are dated in 2012.
You're insane, the NCAA will almost definitely strip Alabama of all titles from 1992 on - haven't you read this thread?

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

Well if the two NC's wind up being vacated, Saban will probably try the NFL one last time.
Probably right. Especially given that he has NEVER had to deal with anything like this before.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I have read the whole thread and I have no idea what will happen. My issue is the people blaming the media or whoever. The blame is on two people here. The agent and the player. There are no excuses for what Fluker did? We can try to look at it through crimson colored glasses but this whole mess is his fault. If this had been a story about Scam Newton or Johnny Manziel we would be crucifying them.
Fluker was given a four year ride to school worth roughly 96,000 dollars. Most people would give anything for that. It just shows he cares nothing about the University. He let greed get the best of him and he may cost us two National Championships.
judging by your post i don't believe you.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

If the University of Alabama did not know and did its due diligence, it would make sense to broker a deal between the NCAA and NFL where Fluker is suspended a couple of games in the NFL and/or has to due some community service work to pay back the amount of money he borrowed.

There is precedent with The Tyrell Pryor and Jim Tressell. Hockey has such an agreement where you can't avoid punishment by skipping between leagues. College football is important enough in the development of NFL players that they should be willing to work with the Universities.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

If there's any consistency I've seen from the NCAA, it is in ones best interest to procure legal counsel and representation. Watching the Means, Newton, and Manziel sagas unfold, I say lawyer up. I wish we didn't have to, but if our AD is foolish enough not to learn from the past, we are in a heap of trouble. The NCAA is looking for relevance, and will try to make an example of someone. We've been that someone too much already.
Yep. It is lawyer time. There is NO other way to handle this. Sure, the NCAA will say to UA in a soft, reassuring voice "hey, come on guys, just cooperate. You cooperate, and this thing will be over with little or no pain". Cooperating is what the NCAA wants. That way, you are totally unsuspecting and clueless when they go nuclear on your behind. However, if you lawyer up, they leave completely defeated with their tail tucked between their legs. It is a no brainer.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Some odd posters have come out of the woodwork on this site and taken over. This board feels so different right now.

It feels like a game thread in which Alabama is losing badly and everyone is looking for reasons or someone to blame.

Time to come together, not splinter.

hotwillz33

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 7, 2012

Just to be clear, DJ Fluker by all appearances did things the right way. He worked odd jobs, and all of that.

I can't defend what Davis may or may not have done, but he was out of school at the time. It shouldn't reflect on Alabama. What Fluker did, if you believe the allegations, was get money from a former teammate (so is borrowing $20 for a pizza ok?) and use them on things he needed. If we have really reached the point that you can't borrow money from friends as a student athlete, we've gone off the deep end!

I agree with your assessment. Looking from the outside it would appear to me that Luther was creating a persona that he had the funds. I would presume his intention was to steer the people that relied on him for personal loans to sign with the agents he was hustling. No one wants to admit that they have failed in what ever profession we choose, so this was his way to stay on top. I feel sorry for all participants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.