Five SEC Players Alleged To Have Taken Impermissible Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Re: Five SEC Players Took Impermissible Benefits

Though the early evidence looks bad, I will hope that the players had better sense than to betray the University of Alabama, their coaches, teammates, and the legions of fans who believe that our titles were honestly earned.

Frankly, I'm not concerned with denying anything that violated NCAA rules. I don't care who else got away with what or how unfairly we were punished in the past. If someone on our team broke rules to the extent shown, then they've tarnished something in which a whole lot of us took great pride. I wasn't a player, but I graduated from The University of Alabama. Anyone who deliberately brings shame upon any aspect of the Capstone's reputation is no friend to their alma mater.

My heart aches right now, desperately hoping that none of this is true. I want to continue to think of Fluker as a great player who upheld the principles espoused by Coach Saban -- principles that Alabama fans have held high as an example of winning by a philosophy of earning great things through honest hard work. I've spent years telling the students I teach to look at those players as an example of what can be achieved by those willing to try harder than the next guy. If these accusations turn out to be true, I'll make sure every single one of those kids, as well as those that pass through my class in the future, know that the players involved are examples of how human beings can disgrace themselves and embarrass others. Those who undeservedly bask in glory while knowingly violating the standards they are supposed to uphold deserve nothing but the disdain of honest individuals. No pity, no excuses, no blaming the NCAA, no explaining things away because someone else broke the rules, too -- that is the coward's way out.

Please let there be another explanation for all of these allegations. I hope that others are lying about this and that the people mentioned can recover their damaged reputations. If the accusations turn out to be true, then I feel worst of all for Coach Saban. He deserves better. All Alabama fans deserve better. Roll Tide.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeattleBama

All-SEC
Aug 6, 2008

This will not affect anything given the fact that the NCAA is a running joke at this point. No need to worry.

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al

Well all that has to happen is ..... Ring, ring----Hello, this is Lightfoot, Franklin and White attorneys at law. For all questions concerning the NCAA press 1 now. To speak to Cam Newton or Johnny Manziel on how to skate the NCAA press 2.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

A lot of these posts running down players need deleting. No need to be THAT guy. It happened, there may or may not be consequences. The school had no way of preventing it and wasn't involved, given the NCAA track record of late, unless the school refuses to cooperate, this wont be nearly as bad as some folks are making it out to be. And if you just have to run down fluker, think back to how much u probably lived the guy just a few hours ago, and keep the "scum" crap off of this board.

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011

Well this ruined my night. Does not look good at all. Of course the biggest most detailed piece is about DJ. Weird how Yahoo thought to drop the hammer days before our biggest road game of the year. I hope nothing comes of it, but it sure looks like a Reggie Bush part two....hopefully without the institution having any involvement! This article really left a sour taste in my mouth.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn

UA compliance should investigate promptly. If they can confirm the payments, everyone involved -- Davis, Fluker, and anyone and everyone else -- should be banned from the campus or ever attending another Tide sporting event. Complete and total disassociation. What else can the athletic department reasonably be expected to do??
According to Battle we already have been investigating. The University didn't just find out about this today.

Outside of butt hurt fanbases of other programs who've had their rear ends handed to them by CNS and the boys on the field, there's no moral outrage from anyone about the situation and no ground swell of public opinion demanding the NCAA punish UA. If it were recruiting violations it would be a different story, but that's not what we're talking about here. In fact, none of the institutions involved (MSU, UT, or Alabama) want runners or agents around their campus.

As long as nobody in the athletic department had firsthand knowledge about Fluker's transgressions this is no big deal. I'm actually looking forward to the API fans panties collectively bunching when we get a 1 scholly reduction and knowing wink from the NCAA. I'll troll all of the Barners I know hard... You don't think the REC would really allow the NCAA to get in our way do you? ;)

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011

Well this ruined my night. Does not look good at all. Of course the biggest most detailed piece is about DJ. Weird how Yahoo thought to drop the hammer days before our biggest road game of the year. I hope nothing comes of it, but it sure looks like a Reggie Bush part two....hopefully without the institution having any involvement! This article really left a sour taste in my mouth.
And can anyone explain how Yahoo manages to get all of this private data? I assume Davis or one of his associates (who ever pays the bills) spilled the beans. One last thing, how are the agents not held more accountable for this type of incident? I mean really, if these sharks didn't prey on these kids this crap would probably never happen, at least not with several $K's involved. Start slamming the agents for $#,###,### and they would probably think twice.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama

Well, found about this as I was getting home from work.
Doesn't look good, but after reading the article, I'm not as concerned as I was initially, at least with what is out there at this point.

Seems to me, prior relationship could definitely be established in terms of Davis relationship with DJ. The University or anybody associated with the University doesn't appear to have knowledge or be involved.
If I read correctly,this activity began in 2011 after Davis no longer at the University. Davis was unemployed after getting cut from the Bills, hooked up with an agent, took money from the agent, appears only a small percentage ended up actually going to the players, and LD's name is on everything.
The Fluker receipt shows Danny Fluker which is also his dad's name. So he didn't know, right? Lol.

Anyway, it appears those involved are clamming up. Yahoo reporters say they aren't giving their info to the NCAA, which is similar to what happened in the Manziel case, ie. no video evidence, no actual evidence of receipt of funds, he basically signed 4,400 items because he was bored, etc.
I do wonder how Yahoo was able to access records though. That's a lot of detailed info that anybody can't just casually saunter up and ask for.

My two concerns are, hopefully nothing more comes out, and that this stops with Fluker in terms of any players from Alabama being involved ie. no current players.

This has nearly ruined my game week excitement but stepping back from it I don't think it's that bad.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn

I'm down in the dumps..

Sent from my iPhone
They're taking all of the fun out of college football. :frown:
Buck up lads. We're gonna knock the smarminess out of Johnny Hangover Saturday then make sure the Barners know we think we're above the law after nothing comes of this nonsense.

It's gonna be a hoot.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Any player who would do the things alleged in the article is scum and should have his name stricken from any mention of ever having the honor of wearing an Alabama jersey. Though the early evidence looks bad, I will hope that the players had better sense than to betray the University of Alabama, their coaches, teammates, and the legions of fans who believe that our titles were honestly earned.

Frankly, I'm not concerned with denying anything that violated NCAA rules. I don't care who else got away with what or how unfairly we were punished in the past. If someone on our team broke rules to the extent shown, then they've tarnished something in which a whole lot of us took great pride. I wasn't a player, but I graduated from The University of Alabama. Anyone who deliberately brings shame upon any aspect of the Capstone's reputation is no friend to their alma mater.

My heart aches right now, desperately hoping that none of this is true. I want to continue to think of Fluker as a great player who upheld the principles espoused by Coach Saban -- principles that Alabama fans have held high as an example of winning by a philosophy of earning great things through honest hard work. I've spent years telling the students I teach to look at those players as an example of what can be achieved by those willing to try harder than the next guy. If these accusations turn out to be true, I'll make sure every single one of those kids, as well as those that pass through my class in the future, know that the players involved are examples of how human beings can disgrace themselves and embarrass others. Those who undeservedly bask in glory while knowingly violating the standards they are supposed to uphold deserve nothing but the disdain of honest individuals. No pity, no excuses, no blaming the NCAA, no explaining things away because someone else broke the rules, too -- that is the coward's way out.

Please let there be another explanation for all of these allegations. I hope that others are lying about this and that the people mentioned can recover their damaged reputations. If the accusations turn out to be true, then I feel worst of all for Coach Saban. He deserves better. All Alabama fans deserve better. Roll Tide.
A kid who was sleeping a car two years before he started at UA let an agent's runner - who he knew once as a teammate - buy him a piece of crap bed from Sticks and Stuff.

I've seen worse happen at Gallette's on a Tuesday night.

MightyWingman

1st Team
Jun 9, 2010
Houston, TX

They're taking all of the fun out of college football. :frown:
Don't let anyone take what you enjoy away from you. I could care less what most "journalists" have to say anyway, they make their money by reporting "controversy". So just don't buy into what they're selling. Again, just my 2 cents.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Alabama fans are traumatized. Alabama was hammered over a signature on a napkin, a rogue booster paying for a non-contributor, and a really big deal made over friggin' textbooks (which ironically set Alabama up now). So, it's hard not to be hysterical, because when we hear Alabama, and the NCAA, we know that the NCAA has a special way of treating Alabama...

On the practical side of things, Fluker, Cam and Johnny are not comparable. Fluker was homeless, if there's any poster boy for stipends and the like he fits the bill. I am not justifying breaking the rules, however, Fluker is the one person who had moral justification out of the three. He had a prior relationship, and a need. The case could be made there was no violation, although it would appear that what went on was at least a violation of the spirit of the rules.

The saving grace in this situation could also be a bit of a weak point. This isn't just Alabama. This is also Miss. State, and Tennessee (which also means extra chances to find proof of wrong doing). Slive has gone to bat for other SEC programs, he's not likely to want to throw three of them under the bus. So, you have to think the whole lawyer up thing is coming. It needs to, because now it is as simple as this. Other programs have gotten away with worse, even if guilty, Alabama shouldn't do time while worse offenders are walking around free. There's no justification for that.

Alabama can't give an inch here. Logically, rationally, if the NCAA actually chose to behave this way, Alabama might admit wrong doing and the punishment would be something along the lines of the loss of a couple scholarships or something. But, the NCAA doesn't seem to be in the habit of that sort of offering. What they would offer, is a longer probation period, vacated wins and titles, and that sort of thing. Even with no knowledge of wrong doing on the part of the University.

Alabama only has one choice. Lawyer up, fight this tooth and nail. I wish the NCAA was logical and rational, I really do. Because, in a case like this Alabama could do the work for the NCAA, own to to any wrong doing, and get a modest punishment. That's just not how the NCAA works though. If Alabama lawyers up completely, they probably get 0 punishment, and that's a lot more fair than to get hammered while other offenders face no punishment at all.

So, Alabama has 0 evidence of wrong doing. Alabama talked to the athletes and they told Alabama there was 0 wrong doing. Alabama believes this is a complete fabrication, etc... that's all there is to it. Alabama hasn't seen any proof, and until the NCAA shows them proof, then none of this occurred.

Last edited:

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010

nice distraction for us, as if we are not worked up enough with the game coming this Saturday.
Reporters did their best trying to connect dots, however, those links are "imaginations" at this stage. Let lawyers and our school do the job. I'll just enjoy the game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Buck up lads. We're gonna knock the smarminess out of Johnny Hangover Saturday then make sure the Barners know we think we're above the law after nothing comes of this nonsense.

It's gonna be a hoot.
Don't let anyone take what you enjoy away from you. I could care less what most "journalists" have to say anyway, they make their money by reporting "controversy". So just don't buy into what they're selling. Again, just my 2 cents.
I hear you guys, it's just that there was once a day when all we cared about were the games. It was more fun, more innocent. The dirty under belly has always been there, and I believe the media is doing its dead level best to tear down the current establishment. I guess we will find out if that's a good thing or not.

I just miss the days when it was only about football.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

What has me upset is that the AD knowing or not knowing about any if this only affects us being hammered or not hammered ala the early 00's sanctions. But no matter what if Fluker took benefits then he was ineligible and the 2011 and 2012 titles are gone. It's the USC situation. The AD is probably clean but our back to back championships are vacated. So...basically we are no longer playing for a 3-peat...we are trying to win #14 all over again now. And if they do in fact take those championships I think CNS will be ticked off enough to retire. I know I'm livid right now...and severely depressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.