Five SEC Players Alleged To Have Taken Impermissible Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Re: D.J. Fluker should have been paid by Alabama

Assuming their AD didn't know, with such small sums of money we are talking about, I don't know why any school would voluntarily vacate wins.

It's all speculation, but from what people in the know are saying, it's a stretch to discuss vacating wins right now.
I understand, thanks. If I'm UT's AD I insta give up five wins to put pressure on Alabama. We know they can't beat us on the field when all is equal.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I understand, thanks. If I'm UT's AD I insta give up five wins to put pressure on Alabama. We know they can't beat us on the field when all is equal.
If Hart has no more ethics than that it's sad.

But no matter what UT or MS might do, I don't think it affects what our enforcement does. JMO

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Why would we remotely care what another school does wrt this? Even if the NCAA has iron-clad proof the other four took money, unless they know DJ took money, it makes zero difference. It's not all or nothing, these are five individuals living their own lives.

Man, some of you will run with ANYTHING in order to make this look bad.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Why would we remotely care what another school does wrt this? Even if the NCAA has iron-clad proof the other four took money, unless they know DJ took money, it makes zero difference. It's not all or nothing, these are five individuals living their own lives.

Man, some of you will run with ANYTHING in order to make this look bad.
Paranoia strikes deep......

Hankster2

All-SEC
Jan 18, 2006
in a house

I agree with what you're saying, my point is Tennessee seems to already be confessing. It's like having three guys in for questioning on the same crime. If one guy confesses, your chances of getting a conviction for the rest goes way up. I think we all know Alabama didn't know about it, but did Alabama know about the textbooks? They still vacated the wins, and that to me is what's at stake here. I'm not worried about anything else... Tennessee can give up 5 meaningless games, and Alabama can give up a championship, and the NCAA can pretend that's fair. I hope that doesn't happen, but my point is does Tennessee care if it does?

Let's put it this way. If Tennessee hauls their active player in (they did have two guys involved), and they go look. We'll admit to this, he'll provide details, which proves what really went on, and in return all that we get is vacated wins and a suspension for our player. Any doubt the NCAA won't say sure, and take all the evidence and use it against Alabama?
This doesn't worry me much. I'm assuming the money has been all but traced to DJ's front door. All that's up for discussion now is a) how much, b) whether he thought it was an agent payment or just a loan, and c) whether anyone in the AD knew about it. I can't see a UT player speaking much to those points (unless he was really well coached... which is something we all know UT doesn't do to players). If UT admits anything beyond "it happened" then they enter the realm of affecting their future.

I can see the press release now: After an exhaustive investigation we've found that the UT Athletic Department had no knowledge of the payments and had excellent controls in place. On a side note, when we were cleaning up the file room we found an envelope with a letter inside. It said: "Luther, As usual, give DJ and a bunch of illegal cash. -Nick Saban"

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I hate Prothro got hurt, but working in a bank is not a terrible start to life. Plenty of people are happy to give a job to a former Alabama football player.
257, DJ got rich. Many great and deserving players don't because they get hurt or things don't work out. There are no guarantees. Pay the kids what you pay a teaching assistant. The current system has gone beyond hypocritical.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

Oh, for pete's sake, people PLEASE back away from the ledge! Does anyone remember 2009? Does Mark Ingram, Julio Jones, and a fishing trip ring a bell? Remember, we were going to have to vacate a ton of wins from 2008, Mark and Julio were going to be suspended for the Virginia Tech game, etc. Well, if I recall correctly, one of them went on to win the Heisman in 2009. How about Marcel in 2010? Remember the speculation then? Oh, man the NCAA was going to take us over their knee for that one. The 2009 BCS Title was suddenly up in the air. Now, granted, there was a bit more to the Marcel situation in 2010, but still, what happened? We were sanctioned? Wins removed? No. Marcel sat for two games. How about 2011, Trent Richardson, and T-town Menswear? Ring any bells? Well, The NCAA was going to take the leather strap to our behinds once again. The majority of the 10 wins from 2010 were suddenly in question as well as other speculated sanctions. Whatever happened there? IIRC, that story was gone in about a day or two, despite what the rival fan bases wanted so desperately for us to believe. So, why suddenly our we going to get sent back to the Dubose/Fran/Shula days over this? Those of you who seem convinced that the NCAA will go all SMU on us need to remember the last few years and all the impermissible benefits stories that have come out. Oh, I just remembered another one that was going to get us in deep crap. Remember 2008, just before the Clemson game when that coach from Clemson said something about Julio being lured to Bam with a Cadillac Escalade? Again, what happened?

CapitalTider

All-American
Jun 8, 2004
Vienna, VA
We are bama, that was an entirely different situation. Mark and Julio largely did it right. The only thing they could have done better was to not go in the first place. They notified compliance, were declared ineligible, paid restitution and were reinstated. We were never in danger of playing an ineligible player. The differences should be obvious.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
We are bama, that was an entirely different situation. Mark and Julio largely did it right. The only thing they could have done better was to not go in the first place. They notified compliance, were declared ineligible, paid restitution and were reinstated. We were never in danger of playing an ineligible player. The differences should be obvious.
Ok, well what about Trent and T-town Menswear?

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Clay, is that you?
Really? I mean, REALLY? At any rate, the point I was making was that people got worked up into a frenzy in 2009 with Mark and Julio, in 2011 with Marcel, in 2011 when Clay Travis pulled his little stunt by "breaking" the T-town Menswear "story". Nothing happened. I could be wrong, but I just don't see anything coming of this latest fiasco either.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I honestly think it would be best to LOCK this thread until after tomorrow's big game. I get nauseated every time I see this thread title.

It's hard to FOCUS on tomorrow's game with this popping up to the top of all other threads. Yes, I know I bumped it again but it was at the top when I posted.

I've tried to stay away from this thread after earlier posts that should have never been made in the heat of battle.

Please, please lock it until after 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, September 14.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Thanks.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I honestly think it would be best to LOCK this thread until after tomorrow's big game. I get nauseated every time I see this thread title.

It's hard to FOCUS on tomorrow's game with this popping up to the top of all other threads. Yes, I know I bumped it again but it was at the top when I posted.

I've tried to stay away from this thread after earlier posts that should have never been made in the heat of battle.

Please, please lock it until after 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, September 14.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Thanks.
I agree. Well said. This story seems pretty silent everywhere else..why not here?

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Well, you know, I was thinking back to when Oklahoma got into trouble back in the Switzer days and.......Just kidding!;) Actually, I agree with what Al A Bama and others have said. Lock it down. Time to get back to focusing on aTm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.