61-0 when rushing for at least 140 yards

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I hope Yeldon gets 150 himself and then the backups get little chunks here and there. I think if we get the run down, then the Aggies are in for some long 6-7 minute drives with Johnny on the bench. :)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've done my own research and found Alabama is undefeated under every coach when it outscores its opponent. Amazing how that stat has held true through every single coach at UA.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I've done my own research and found Alabama is undefeated under every coach when it outscores its opponent. Amazing how that stat has held true through every single coach at UA.

Funny

I welcome a thread like this today. It is refreshing to talk about the game.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
oh well...thought it was relevant we are 61-0 rushing for 140, 0-7 when failing to him that number but RTR doesn't see the significance so it must not exist

no reason we shouldn't gash aTm for 250 on the ground at 7 yards per carry. this is a Kentucky-like front 7 with a good secondary. There is nothing like beating down a team in the run game especially when it's 95 degrees and they're getting punked in front of their own fans. do it!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sorry that some of you can't take a joke about stats. I was just trying to lighten up the mood around after the Yahoo report.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
oh well...thought it was relevant we are 61-0 rushing for 140, 0-7 when failing to him that number but RTR doesn't see the significance so it must not exist

no reason we shouldn't gash aTm for 250 on the ground at 7 yards per carry. this is a Kentucky-like front 7 with a good secondary. There is nothing like beating down a team in the run game especially when it's 95 degrees and they're getting punked in front of their own fans. do it!
I don't think we hit that number against Va. Tech. I think the original point is the most important; if we rush for 140, we increase our chance of winning because the stat indicates we are controlling the tempo with our running game.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
I don't think we hit that number against Va. Tech. I think the original point is the most important; if we rush for 140, we increase our chance of winning because the stat indicates we are controlling the tempo with our running game.
ah, yes...you are correct. that article was from May

only had 96 vs VT .... so 1-7 when running for <140

nice call and thanks for talking about football

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That is essentially it. If you are able to run the ball, you will be able to run all aspects of your offense efficiently. You will maintain possessions and score points. But I think this game is on your defense, and I think that they are up to the challenge.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
That is essentially it. If you are able to run the ball, you will be able to run all aspects of your offense efficiently. You will maintain possessions and score points. But I think this game is on your defense, and I think that they are up to the challenge.
I agree this game is on the defense. Hopefully they are up to the challenge. Offensively we have to stop ourselves because I don't think TAMU's defense is capable of that for four quarters.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
The article does not say we were 61-0 when rushing for 140+. Nor does it say that we are 0-7 when we rush for <140.

It says in our last 7 losses we failed to top 140. We might have had several wins with less than 140 years rushing. That is not addressed one way or the other in this article.

I'm a stats and math guy. Don't take this as criticism - just clearing the muddy water a little bit.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
ya know, i always assumed that too, but didn't we top 300 against GA and the game was still in question until the last 5 seconds?
Good point. I will chalk that one up as an anomaly. Don't tell Nick I said this but, I doubt we prepared very much for them and their "specialty" offense. I'll stick with my previous assumption.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
ya know, i always assumed that too, but didn't we top 300 against GA and the game was still in question until the last 5 seconds?
That is because a rushing stat like that usually means that you have a lead and are running the ball to control the clock and secure a win. But sometimes it just means that you are having so much success on the ground that the yards mount up. In the GA game, it was the later. Of course, you probably would have had a big lead if not for the special teams play.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Being the stat guy I am - after noting the point(s) made about the listed stats being incorrect - I decided to look it up myself.

As far as the magic 140 yards rushing number, 2007 throws a little bit of a monkey in the wrench. I say a little bit because, as you know, there were extenuating circumstances at the end of the year as well as it being Saban's first year at Alabama.

In 2007 the win-loss record on the field was 7-6. That season we failed to gain 140 yards on the ground in six games, winning three and losing three. The three games we won while rushing for less than 140 yards were against Arkansas (123 yards), Ole Miss (113), and Colorado (132). The three games we lost while rushing for more than 140 yards were against Georgia (164), Mississippi State (153), and Louisiana Monroe (163). The other three losses, in which we failed to gain 140 yards on the ground, were against Florida State (89), LSU (20), and the Barn (112).

Since then, though, there does seem to be something to it on both sides - teams not beating us when we do and us losing when we don't - though it isn't 100% on the latter.

Since the start of the 2008 season, Alabama is 62-7. During that time:

- When rushing for at least 140 yards, Alabama is 51-0

- When rushing for less than 140 yards, Alabama is 11-7

- When rushing for at least 125 yards, Alabama is 56-1

- When rushing for less than 125 yards, Alabama is 6-6

- When rushing for at least 100 yards, Alabama is 59-3

- When rushing for less than 100 yards, Alabama is 3-4

- The fewest yards Alabama has gained on the ground in a win is 73 (Barn 2009)

- The second fewest yards Alabama has gained on the ground in a win is 96 (Va Tech 2013)

- The most yards Alabama has gained on the ground in a loss is 136 (Florida in 2008)

- The second most yards Alabama has gained on the ground in a loss is 122 (Texas A&M in 2012)

- We are 5-0 versus Ole Miss but rushing is a little bit feast or famine. We failed to gain 140 yards on the ground against the Rebels in three of those games, averaging 111 yards per game. In the other two games we averaged an astounding 295 yards per game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.