Watching TAMU vs. Bama 2012 Right Now - Our First Three Drives

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I went back and found last year's game on my dvr.

Bama's first three drives each had one hugely negative play which killed each drive and, consequently gave JF the ball a little quicker each time.

On the first drive on a 3rd down AJ missed a wide open AC which would have not only picked up a first down but would have probably been a big YAC play.

On the second drive, after Lacy had a big run on first down out toward midfield, AJ throws an INT on 3rd down (which everybody remembers). However the play would have picked up a 1st down if Kenny Bell would have held on to the ball despite taking a pretty good lick right after the reception.

Then on the 3rd drive, we got way behind the chains when, of all people, Barrett Jones got beat on a play that put us at 2 and long and the next play. Punted three plays later.

On two of the first three drives, A&M still had to drive 70ish yards for scores, but the point is we aided them in giving them the ball pretty quick on a day when they came out hotter than a two-dollar pistol on offense.

In hindsight, if we get a score on just one of those first three drives it would have not only helped on the scoreboard, but kept JF off the field and disrupted their timing a little more.

Tomorrow, we can't be donating extra opportunities (or quick opportunities) for A&M to get more scores. We need long, sustained drives that usually result in some type of points on the scoreboard.

RTR!!!:biga:

Last edited:

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I agree with you completely. Yes, Manziel and A&M had a good game last year, but we mostly lost because of our own stupid mistakes. As I said in another thread, if we just don't turn the ball over we probably win by 10-14 points.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
At the start of the second quarter and we look like a different team. Gashing them for huge chunks at a time with the running game.

It's almost like we needed the first quarter to shake out the cobwebs before we start playing like Bama!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It's no coincidence that the Bama defense was able to stop Manziel once the offense got going. CKS and CNS needed time to adjust. With three quick 3-and-outs, the defense had no time to adjust.

Last edited:

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
It's no coincendence that the Bama defense was able to stop Manziel once the offense got going. CKS and CNS needed time to adjust. With three quick 3-and-outs, the defense had no time to adjust.
This is very true. We can't have a bunch of 3 and outs this game. Need to score and keep the defense fresh.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
People seem to only remember the score and disregard the circumstances. I think we win going away tomorrow.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's no coincendence that the Bama defense was able to stop Manziel once the offense got going. CKS and CNS needed time to adjust. With three quick 3-and-outs, the defense had no time to adjust.
Technically we didn't have three quick three and outs. On the second drive we actually made a first down on a Lacy 19 yard run. However it was the next set of downs that AJ threw the INT. But you are correct in that it was 3 quick drives that resulted in no points and A&M getting the ball back real fast.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
At the start of the second quarter and we look like a different team. Gashing them for huge chunks at a time with the running game.

It's almost like we needed the first quarter to shake out the cobwebs before we start playing like Bama!
I hope we use the first game to shake out the cobwebs as you say. I hope we play much better on the O line..

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
To many people do not remember what you wrote, they think the whole game hinged on that interception at the goal line.
i know if's & but's & Bama has not done that, however if folks go back & look & re-look at the 1st Qrt you will see we were so aggressive our guys just ot caught out of place. The effort to try to make the play rather than trust your teammates & do your job. It's hard for me to be mad at them, they were doing what the saw at that moment.

Give our defense a lot of credit because after that 1st Qtr they played Great!

Sometime that odd shaped ball just don't bounce your way, it did for TPI that day & gave a spoiled brat the Heisman & a very young OC a head coaching job.

I see this game being Very different, the Right-ing of the Universe begins at 3:30 tomorrow.

RTR!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I went back and found last year's game on my dvr.

Bama's first three drives each had one hugely negative play which killed each drive and, consequently gave JF the ball a little quicker each time.

On the first drive on a 3rd down AJ missed a wide open AC which would have not only picked up a first down but would have probably been a big YAC play.

On the second drive, after Lacy had a big run on first down out toward midfield, AJ throws an INT on 3rd down (which everybody remembers). However the play would have picked up a 1st down if Kenny Bell would have held on to the ball despite taking a pretty good lick right after the reception.

Then on the 3rd drive, we got way behind the chains when, of all people, Barrett Jones got beat on a play that put us at 2 and long and the next play. Punted three plays later.

:
Do you enjoy painful things? lol...... Do you watch hernia surgeries for enjoyment too? ;)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It actually is giving me a little more confidence re-watching this game.

We cut out the mistakes and defend JF like we did in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters and we'll be just fine....assuming the OL comes out madder than stirred up hornets.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
After re-watching, that was the one play that stuck out to me. With his speed, I think he would have split the converging safety and DB with his back turned. Hindsight is 20-20 but I think it's different ball game if we score there.

Also, that 15yd penalty we had on aTm's ensuing drive after stuffing Manziel at the line didn't help either.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
It is painful to watch a replay of that game especially the 1st three series of the game and on that interception toward the end. I had DVR'ed it also, but deleted it several months ago. I've also tried to delete it from my memory. That's been very difficult!

Tomorrow, we need to drive the ball down their throat. We need to control the clock! We also need to hit a few long bombs to #9, #7, #2, #5, #83, et al.

I'd like to see Yeldon get at least 150 yards rushing and other RB's getting good yardage also, esp. #45, #1, #21, et al.

We also need to create a few turnovers, especially interceptions and a few of those returns for TD's, to put and keep Johnny on the sidelines. We need to rename him Johnny Sidelines tomorrow. Wow, that guy's got quite a few names. I do hope to see #3, Mr. Sunseri with at least 2 Int. returns for TD's.

We need to take the crowd out of the game early. Hopefully, all Aggies will be crying in their beers by halftime or at least the beginning of the 4th quarter.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Great post. No way we spot them THREE touchdowns tomorrow. Put me down as predicting we run away with this one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.