OK, it's official...I HATE the targeting rule!!!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Let's all ask this - would Haha had been penalized if he was on the other side of the field? I'm going to say "no."

PCBamafan

3rd Team
Oct 18, 1999
Panama City, Fl
The INTENT of the rule is good, but when it can be overturned to allow the player to stay in the game, the penalty for targeting should be overturned, too! If it wasn't "targeting", it wasn't a penalty at all. Gonna be bad when it costs someone a win in a close game.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Dumb rule being called by dumb refs. As others have said, the biggest issue is that the booth can overturn the ejection which basically says the refs got the call wrong but, they still enforce the penalty. How stupid is that, "we blew that call but, we are going to punish you anyway." I agree that targeting has not place in football but, the booth should be able to overturn the penalty as well as the ejection. I would be fine with the rule if that one change was made.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I could not disagree with you more. There are helmets and pads for safety, and penalty yards for personal fouls. Player ejections for something as subjective as a referee's interpretation on a bang-bang play are absurdly punitive. It is impossible for me to favor a rule when it seems like there are nothing but bad calls made using the rule. I have seen maybe one call where I thought the defender looked like he was being vicious or really trying to hurt the guy, and probably ten where helmets happened to collide on a tackle or a pass breakup, and out came the yellow laundry. Football is a contact sport, and not without risk. This rule is like allowing only bumper cars in a NASCAR race. Sure it is safe, but it's garbage.
Seconded

This rule will likely not make it though the offseason. It is that bad. To me the refs seem to be siding on an automatic toss just to cover their backs. I haven't seen one yet where the crew has huddled and said no targeting just PF. It has always been the replay crew to clean up the mess.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I also have never seen a coach teach targeting. Always see what you hit. Also it apparently does not apply if the person hit is a RB. An AU linemen lowered his helmet and drilled an MSU RB in the facemask in front of two officials...nothing. Announcers then proclaimed "textbook hit".

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I also have never seen a coach teach targeting. Always see what you hit. Also it apparently does not apply if the person hit is a RB. An AU linemen lowered his helmet and drilled an MSU RB in the facemask in front of two officials...nothing. Announcers then proclaimed "textbook hit".
That has everything to do with the definition of a defenseless player.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I forgot the exact play, but one Bama player was hit with a clear helmet to helmet. My dad immediately noticed it. The defender lead with his helmet.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The "targeting" penalties are long overdue. While I agree that the one tonight was a blatant missed call we are badly in need of officiating that helps player safety. Remember that all these players are getting bigger, stronger, and faster. To all of those who are saying we are headed to Flag Football, will you be happy when we have a real head hunter at safety who puts someone in a wheelchair? Please do not confuse a bad call with probably the best rule change in many many years.
Got to disagree... Refs blew the call, and we paid the price. We were fortunate it didn't change the outcome of the game.
I hope the NCAA is keeping stats on stupid/BAD calls by officials.
Refs today were definitely flag happy too.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Yes the HaHa targeting call was a joke. However, I felt the officiating crew were over-zealous and very pro ATM. For example, Arie K. on 2nd Bama offensive play of the game called for false start. His only movement was no more than an intake of breath. Even those CBS idiots didn't believe the call.

While I know the away team generally gets more calls against them, but when was the last time a Saban coached team had 100+ yards in penalties?

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
I appreciate the sentiment behind the rule, but the play on the field happens too fast for the officials to call that penalty correctly. If the replay official gets to make the final determination, why not just let him decide when there's a penalty?

MightyWingman

1st Team
Jun 9, 2010
Houston, TX
The rule should be abolished ASAP. The problem with it though is this, it was meant to protect players from injury and suing the NCAA like the NFL Players association suit for concussions. It's a terrible, terrible rule and it could and probably will change the game that we know and love into glorified "flag football".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.