Officiating question

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I don't know if this has been covered in the game thread or post game thread but am I the only one who thought this was a horribly officiated game?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have been a college football fan for more years than I want to reveal and have NEVER blamed officiating for a loss, but I can tell you without equivocation the officiating today kept two TAMU drives alive that led to 14 points. I am almost ashamed to say this, but that was the worst officiated game I have ever witnessed.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The rationale is actually pretty reasonable - unnecessary roughness penalties have never been reviewable. This is just the old "unnecessary roughness" penalty with the possibility of ejection if there was also "targeting". So, last year you would have seen the same flag (even though it should not have been thrown), but there would have been no chance of an ejection because "targeting" was not included in the rule book.

The NCAA decided to start ejecting players for targeting only, but they knew that there would be some bad calls (because there are bad calls in every game) and didn't want erroneous ejections. So they compromised - they added the ejection, but only for targeting, and they made it reviewable. Only the ejection/targeting is reviewable, not the unnecessary roughness call - but that has never been reviewable.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I don't think helmets ever touched and most of the contact was at hip level. There was no roughness or unsportsmanlike hit.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The rationale is actually pretty reasonable - unnecessary roughness penalties have never been reviewable. This is just the old "unnecessary roughness" penalty with the possibility of ejection if there was also "targeting". So, last year you would have seen the same flag (even though it should not have been thrown), but there would have been no chance of an ejection because "targeting" was not included in the rule book.

The NCAA decided to start ejecting players for targeting only, but they knew that there would be some bad calls (because there are bad calls in every game) and didn't want erroneous ejections. So they compromised - they added the ejection, but only for targeting, and they made it reviewable. Only the ejection/targeting is reviewable, not the unnecessary roughness call - but that has never been reviewable.
Which is why I've always said called penalties should be reviewed by the booth as well.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I still think that the A&M guy caught the ball out of bounds.....regardless of if Fulton forced him out....they never showed his feet...

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I have been a college football fan for more years than I want to reveal and have NEVER blamed officiating for a loss, but I can tell you without equivocation the officiating today kept two TAMU drives alive that led to 14 points. I am almost ashamed to say this, but that was the worst officiated game I have ever witnessed.
I tend to agree. There have been worse individual calls, but this game, the officiating was consistently slanted, WAAY beyond what you could consider 'home cookin'".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.