Worst officiating ever

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL
I normally do not complain about how officials call games. There are usually bad calls that go for/against both teams. One or two bad calls should not win or lose a game, but this game was called worse than the '04 LSU game if that is possible. If the targeting foul had stood, Bama most likely would have lost. One terrible call or no call after another and it always seemed to favor A&M. If A&M had won yesterday, I would blame the officials for the rest of my life.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Maybe not quite that bad, bit it was disappointing for such a matchup. I think the officials got caught up in the JF hype and forgot their assignments. Maybe Saban can start a one week officiating camp to help them!

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
The particularly awful ones must have all occurred in the first half because I because I didn't see anything gratuitously bad in the 2nd half.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
There were some questionable calls for sure. But that happens in every game.

You can't blame the Yeldon penalty, the 12 men on the field penalty or the numerous false start penalties on the refs. The large number of penalties were due to uncharacteristically sloppy play by Bama.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
It looked to me like on several occasions the refs were so amazed and locked in on JF scrambling around in the backfield, that they totally missed the blatant holds by the aTm OL that allowed the play to extend. Not to mention the targeting call that was overturned, but still was a 15 yd penalty........and the out-of-bounds reception....etc

I normally just shrug it off as taking the good with the bad.....as bad/questionable calls happen for both sides in most games. I wouldn't say this was the worst officiated game ever, but their was no doubt we were playing as the visiting team!

They made up for it though.... with their razor sharp eagle eyes they could spot our O linemen's every flinch for a false start...(even though most were obvious...at least 1 was questionable)......kudos to the aTm fans for making the noise to help contribute to the FS penalties...

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It doesn't take a lot of bad calls to change the flow of a game. There were at least three series where we had them 3rd down and long and a penalty kept their drive alive. A penalty that shouldn't have been called. They couldn't stop our offense so I would venture to say that on just those three drive continuing penalties we lost out on 21 pts.

I've seen worse officiating but not many.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
This is a good crew who had an off day. A@M got a bad call in my opinion when they called the guy for "continuing to participate" after he lost his helmet. It didn't look that way to me. Ha-Ha speaks for itself. But one of the worst calls of the game to me was on the Manzeil scramble when he threw it up for grabs. The receiver basically shoved Ha-Ha completely down. Otherwise I believe Ha may have intercepted the pass. Amazing that they couldn't see that.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
This is a good crew who had an off day. A@M got a bad call in my opinion when they called the guy for "continuing to participate" after he lost his helmet. It didn't look that way to me. Ha-Ha speaks for itself. But one of the worst calls of the game to me was on the Manzeil scramble when he threw it up for grabs. The receiver basically shoved Ha-Ha completely down. Otherwise I believe Ha may have intercepted the pass. Amazing that they couldn't see that.
Or the hold that allowed Manziel to get away for the heave ho.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
But one of the worst calls of the game to me was on the Manzeil scramble when he threw it up for grabs. The receiver basically shoved Ha-Ha completely down.

Inexcusable indeed. I figure the cause was that no one expected a pass to be coming that way from 30 yards in the backfield after all that scrambling. Crews will have to learn to keep on their assignments downfield with this kid at QB.

I feel the same way, but this had to be their worst day of all.

bogeypro

Scout Team
Oct 25, 2005
the illegal (non)motion penalty was another head scratcher as well. To me, it was too obvious that the refs were watching JFF and not their assignments.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Tom Ritter's crew should be forcibly retired by the SEC office. They are the worst crew in college football. I would not be surprised if years from now it came out they had motivation to make bad calls since theirs seem so obvious.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
First off, the receiver call "out of bounds" was the correct call because he was forced out by out db and per the rule if a receiver is forced out then that receiver can come back in and touch the ball first. That having been said there were some calls that were just utterly redicerous (miss-spelling intended for you grammer police types). T, too, thing we intercept that ball if our db had not been shoved out of the way. He had cut in front of the receiver who made the catch and was in great position to make the play prior to being pushed. The call on the targeting was just insane - particularly due to the fact that replay over-ruled the ejection. My opinion - no objection no penalty (that's to be discussed in another thread).

Kevo

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 7, 2011
First off, the receiver call "out of bounds" was the correct call because he was forced out by out db and per the rule if a receiver is forced out then that receiver can come back in and touch the ball first.
This was addressed in another thread, but I'll go ahead and say it again. The player was out of bounds when he made the catch.

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
Edit: Nevermind picture of the out of bounds was already posted I see. I was screaming as soon as the play happened for them to replay it because he looked out of bounce. Then the pulled the flag, they should have replayed it right after. If anything the flag getting called initially probably hurt us because then they never even bothered to go back and replay it.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Even if the defender puts a gun to his head and makes him stand out of bounds, he still has to be in bounds when he catches it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.