AJM Praise and Appreciation Thread

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He is one of the best to ever play the college game. I can't wait to see what he will do on Sundays.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
We better enjoy what we are seeing.

He'll go down as the best to ever play the position at Bama.

Hope his back ups are taking notes.
You bring up a very good point here.

Remember how AJ was on the headsets when Mac was playin? Who is doing that now? I seem to be missing it?

Yes, AJ is the Best I ever saw at Alabama.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I've seen one Heisman watch list that didn't even include McCarron in the top ten, yet it listed Braxton Miller. A lot of sportswriters use the "talent around him" excuse to discount McCarron, but hasn't the performance of Guiton at THE OSU shown that the same thing should probably be said about Miller? How about Tajh Boyd? He's surrounded by major talent also.

I think that all Heisman candidates at major programs have plenty of talent around them. If these sportswriters are going to use that excuse against McCarron, why don't they also consider that he is getting his numbers in a system that isn't designed to allow QBs to build up gaudy statistics? Isn't it just as fair to say that the "system" that many of these QBs play within basically guarantees them higher numbers of pass attempts, which in turn almost guarantees them higher numbers of completions, yards, and TDs. It also probably guarantees higher numbers of INTs, but there are quarterback ratings metrics that are designed to take all these things into account to give a somewhat fair basis of comparison between QBs in different systems.

In yesterday's game, McCarron had a pass efficiency rating of 211 (147 NFL rating), which was higher than Manziel's rating of 204 (130 NFL rating). Yet for some reason, all these sportswriters continue to say that Manziel's performance was better. I suppose that the NCAA's and NFL's quarterback metrics must be wrong since Manziel's performance was so much better.

I wonder if some sportswriters allow their Alabama fatigue or their dislike of Saban to influence their opinion of AJ? It just seems that many sportswriters purposely discount him even though his performances are superior to others that garner a lot of Heisman attention and much more effective than almost all of them.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We had a thread discussing AJ in this regard back in the pre-season or summer, but I am convinced he's set his legacy in concrete no matter what he does from here on out.

When AJ says he doesn't care about the Heisman, I really believe him. Would he enjoy the spotlight and winning it? Sure, who wouldn't. But I really believe it's more about the team with him. Follow him on Twitter and you'll get this.

I think he'll spend a few years in the NFL...maybe even be a star. He reminds me so much of Tom Brady or Matt Ryan.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see AJ roaming the sidelines as a coach one day because I think he has drunk deeply from CNS's coaching well.

stew0729

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 22, 2011
The talking heads seem to believe that the QBs like jf, tb, and tboyd are the Heisman front runners because they are the best athletes on their individual teams. What they forget is that the QB position is not about being just athletic but it is also about understanding the other athletes on the team and recognizing the mismatches that give your team the best chance to win, and that isn't always throwing a home run sometimes its meticulously moving your team down the field to keep a high powered offense off the field. AJ is the best I have seen at doing this. There were times in the game yesterday he had receivers open deep, but realized it was more important to kill clock and keep their offense off the field. I wonder if CKS learned a thing or to about offense yesterday. Maybe I need to start a thread about that.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
At the end of the game, they focused the camera on Johnny who was sucking wind bad. "He's gassed."

Right after the game they interviewed AJ, he looked like he might have been on a strenuous walk in the park. He had barely raised a sweat. Cool as a cucumber.

Then he started talking. Calm, self assured, totally in charge. And extremely impressive. Just overflowing with senior leadership.
If you'd put up nearly 600 yards and were attempting a late rally, you might be gassed too. Great game for AJ. He kept his team focused when they were down early on the road.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The only time Verne and Gary mentioned AJ being a game manager was when they were discussing how critics cannot call him that anymore.

Was calling for a bootleg or play action right before the snap of TJ's fumble. Worked out well in the end, though. ;)

He's made his replacement for next year to have a very difficult time. All of our expectations will be way too high because what we've seen.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I think AJ's the best QB of my lifetime and I was born in 1954. I think a lot of what gets missed is how well he reads defenses. His play calling at the LOS is impeccable, last night being a perfect example. CNS repeatedly lauds AJ for his leadership skills and I don't think I've ever seen a young man react cooler under pressure. He has a cannon arm, brains, and a great work ethic. I love the guy for what he's done for the U of A.

All that being said, it's easy for me to understand why JM gets more hype. If JM wins the Heisman over AJ it won't bother me one bit because he's a very unique talent. However, for our system, AJ works much better. I don't think CNS and JM would get along well at all.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
He is one of the best in college football and very underrated...even though he was the winning qb yesterday but you couldn't tell it with all the media worship of JM, but I digress.

AJ was given the reigns yesterday to make plays and he made them...that last td to Fowler was a great call. It's apparent he and Coach Saban share a special relationship that I've not seen with any of the other qbs that's played here, which is telling in terms of the trust that's there.
I for one, wouldn't trade him for any other qb right now...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.