What a game!

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
Not the game I expected to see, but the Tide played great! I remember the Sooners playing that way, back in the day when Bob Stoops cared.
Good Luck the rest of the way!

ROLL TIDE BOOMER SOONER

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Kind of puts the 'Ole Man Football' label on the shelf.
We have quality Receivers, and a quality Quarter Back.
We have quality Running Backs too.

Don't think for a minute that 'Recruits' nationwide didn't notice we can light up the scoreboard.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Hey, I didn't neccessarily like it, but that is what it was like! -lol
I was watching and thinking, now you guys see how hard it is to play D in the Big 12. Notwithstanding the talent that is Johnny Football, we see these types of O's every week and it puts tremendous strain on a D, not to mention the pressure it puts on the O to respond.

We have no one to blame but ourselves for turning the Big 12 into a 7/7 flag football league. When Stoops brought Leach from the Hal Mumme womb to Norman, the dye was cast. Our #1 recruiting ground, Texas, has become a QB/WR showcase (thanks to the success of certain high profile H.S. programs and the advent of 7 on 7 leagues). Recruits love these wide open O's and it wouldn't surprise me to see the SEC evolve over time.

The Big 8.....12 used to be known for punishing running attacks and fast physical D but no more. Every game is a shoot out and when you add the likes of RG111 to the mix, defensing spread O's is simply a nightmare. I also think this trend in the Big 12 has hurt our performance in bowl games. When an opponent has 4-6 weeks to prepare and your O is p[redicated on timing, the layoff between the last game and the bowl is problematical. Many of us old time Sooners long for the day when we played the kind of football Alabama is playing now.

If Sumlin can recruit the D side of the ball successfully, the Aggies will be a force to reckon with. I have been to Kyle Field numerous times for OU/A&M games and it is a very tough place to play. We had to come from behind down there in 2000 on our way to our last NC.

You guys are on an incredible roll. Obviously it won't last but its truly something to watch. As a college football fan, its amazing. As a Sooner it brings back memories.

In closing I'll simply say, God bless Mack Brown.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
A&M offense isn't so much a typical" Big 12" offense as it is a "Johnny Manziel" offense. Playing him is unlike playing anything else.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A&M offense isn't so much a typical" Big 12" offense as it is a "Johnny Manziel" offense. Playing him is unlike playing anything else.
This - Alabama and other top SEC teams have had no problem shutting down Big 12 and PAC offenses, even in recent years. aTm is not representative of those offenses right now. aTm's offense is Manziel. With any other QB in the country, Alabama beats aTm by 30+ yesterday running that same offense - yeah, I am including Miller in that statement.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I agree. What the Big 12 was running is not comparable to what TAMU is doing with Johnny Manziel. Manziel is the X factor, and without him, there is nothing about Sumlin's offense that scares me. Jason White and Sam Bradford put up huge numbers, but both were shut down by LSU and UF. Manziel's speed, allusiveness, and extremely accurate throws are deadly combo, besides RGIII, the Big 12 has never had a QB that compares to that. TAMU has good running backs that can run the ball, and receivers that make clutch catches to go along with Manziel's amazing talent.

The offense we saw yesterday is on a whole 'nother of level of the typical Big 12 offenses of the past and present.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree. What the Big 12 was running is not comparable to what TAMU is doing with Johnny Manziel. Manziel is the X factor, and without him, there is nothing about Sumlin's offense that scares me. Jason White and Sam Bradford put up huge numbers, but both were shut down by LSU and UF. Manziel's speed, allusiveness, and extremely accurate throws are deadly combo, besides RGIII, the Big 12 has never had a QB that compares to that. TAMU has good running backs that can run the ball, and receivers that make clutch catches to go along with Manziel's amazing talent.

The offense we saw yesterday is on a whole 'nother of level of the typical Big 12 offenses of the past and present.
A and m's o is almost exactly like the barns in 2010 with cam at qb. The game is won or blown open by freak show circus plays/hail Mary's to receivers who got wide open after 8-10 seconds of scrambling. They only function consistently when you get a freakish athlete like cam or manziel.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Mike Evans was the MVP for A&M in my book. A&M had 628 yards, but take away Evan's 279 receiving yards and A&M has only 349 yards. JM had 464 passing yards, yet take away Evan's 279 receiving yards and he has only 185 passing yards. We could not stop A&M's offense because we could not cover Evans.

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan
I for one am not a fan of this type of football and I am afraid that in 10-20 years I will not even watch it anymore. I realize that the game has changed several times throughout the years but in my opinion those changes did not eliminate a part of the game as this one is doing with defense. I am not saying just because I don't like the UHNH it is ruining football but I think it is gaining popularity at a time where player safety is overtaking every rule. The thing that happened with Clinton-Dix is just the beginning, in the NFL running backs can't lead with their helmets, they are becoming more extinct every year. Kids are not going to grow up wanting to be a running back they will rather be a TE. Maybe I am just bitter because I do not like it but I can't think of one time I actually watched a full 60 minute game of a team like Oregon for entertainment. I will flip back and forth if the game has implications to Bama but thats about it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think the point owen alluded to is shutting down a Big 12 offense when you have a month to prepare is one thing, facing one every week is little different.
If you faced them every week and were not good at defending them, shame on you.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
The problem is Sumlin isn't a product of the big 12 he came from Conference USA running the Air Raid. I get that this is the type of offense that most big 12 teams run but we've played the likes of Auburn, Florida, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Ole Miss etc and have shut down this type of offense down multiples times. Johnny Manziel is in fact "The Offense" at A&M.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I for one am not a fan of this type of football and I am afraid that in 10-20 years I will not even watch it anymore. I realize that the game has changed several times throughout the years but in my opinion those changes did not eliminate a part of the game as this one is doing with defense. I am not saying just because I don't like the UHNH it is ruining football but I think it is gaining popularity at a time where player safety is overtaking every rule. The thing that happened with Clinton-Dix is just the beginning, in the NFL running backs can't lead with their helmets, they are becoming more extinct every year. Kids are not going to grow up wanting to be a running back they will rather be a TE. Maybe I am just bitter because I do not like it but I can't think of one time I actually watched a full 60 minute game of a team like Oregon for entertainment. I will flip back and forth if the game has implications to Bama but thats about it.
There is a lot of merit to this post. It's the Maddenization of Football -- Video Game Football. I find myself bored with it -- but I'm soon to be 45 -- and I think my issues is more to the fact that "This aint' my Daddy's Football" -- and the "thuggery", "camera mugging" and lack of class wears thin.

I also think that Arena Football fails repeatedly for a reason -- people don't necessarily like Track Meet Football -- at least not on a large scale. I sure hope it shifts again --

But hang in there -- as seasons change -- many are starting to see the re-emergence of the Fullback Position - and eventually the Running Back will return as offenses see the best way to slow down the HUNH is to keep the ball on long drives...which requires a running game.

Yet, for some reason, winning 3 of 4 NCs didn't do it -- maybe we are too far gone to see it come back.

Regardless -- a win is a win -- but to be downright honest, I much prefer 28 to 10 games --

Last edited by a moderator:

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
I think the point owen alluded to is shutting down a Big 12 offense when you have a month to prepare is one thing, facing one every week is little different.
If this is the type of offense that you will face every week, your defensive coordinator should be able to develop a system and recruit players to defend it. The difficulty is trying to prepare to defend a type of offense that you will only see once a year.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
If this is the type of offense that you will face every week, your defensive coordinator should be able to develop a system and recruit players to defend it. The difficulty is trying to prepare to defend a type of offense that you will only see once a year.
Guys, Kevin Sumlin was on the OU staff before he went to UH. He was our O-coordinator. The O he is using is a classic Big 12 scheme. No doubt Manziel adds a little dash to the hash but so did RG111 to the Baylor O. Recruiting to defend these O's requires an inordinate emphasis on the back 7 in attracting players at the expense of putting a team on the field that is geared to stop a more traditional O.

Folks, I am not commenting herein to defend the Big 12. I am under no illusions as to which is the best conference in college football right now. In fact, I think the Big 12 today is a clone of the Mtn. West at best and I am sick about the direction the conference has taken over the years.

Certainly, a Big 12 style O can be defended. My point is, we see this type of scheme every week. It's a pinball wizard diet of 7/7 drills run amok. OU has now gone to a 3-3-5 as our base D to counter these spread the field O's. Another problem the spread O's has caused in our recruiting area is the dirth of quality DL recruits in Texas. The state used to be a RB/LB producing machine. Now it's all about QB's, WR's, & DB's. When you continually practice against a passing attack it will weaken your D. Defending a strong running attack daily in practice strengthens your D.

I would not call the Florida wth Tebow remotely similar to the schemes we see in the Big 12. Tebow was more of a single-wing tailback. He was no passer in comparison to the QB's we have traditionally seen over the past few years in the Big 12. Anyway, it was an entertaining game and the Tide is to be congratulated on the win. As I said, Kyle Field is a tough place to play under any circumstances. You all should be on your way now.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
CNS and CKS had 9 months and a bye week to prepare for TAMU's offense, and it didn't matter. The plays Manziel makes on busted plays is why we gave up 628 yards and 42 points. This game was not just the result of facing a spread offense during the season.

I'll say it again - the offense we faced yesterday is nothing like a typical Big 12 spread offense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.