JessN: Texas A&M wrap-up: Alabama’s win makes no sense, from any angle

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The leadership council is primarily constituted of Seniors and Juniors. Players like Ben Malena, Jake Matthews, Tony Hurd-Jr, etc. It's very rare for freshman or sophmore (ie Manziel) to be a part of that. No matter how talented, the leadership council is still a privilege earned through more than play making ability. Seniority goes a long way and Manziel, with only 16 games under his belt, isn't there yet. But it is definitely not a indictment to his leadership.
I'm sorry but a Heisman winner (and quarterback) getting left out does not seem to be a plus in his favor, even if he's only a sophomore. You say it's rare for a freshman or sophomore to be voted onto this leadership council, but it's even more rare to win a Heisman. The fact that he wasn't voted into this group reflects the team's opinion of him in my opinion, because while you say that is rare, that tells me they could have included him and decided not to.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
For those of you who are not old enough to remember; Roger Staubach in his collegiate days was the Johnny Manziel of his day. He was not as fast as Manziel but he was every bit as elusive in a day when passing was an after thought and obviously there was not as much talent at the Naval Academy. He was not labeled "Roger the Dodger" for nothing.

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012
Great article. The only thing I dissagree with is that we will be lucky to have a winning record with out Johnny. I'm not convinced that he's leaving this year either. If Philadelphia and their new "Oregon" offense lights it up this year, Johnny will be a hot commodity in this draft. Thing is, I think Johnny wants a National Championship before he leaves A&M. Alabama may have made sure he sticks around for one more. Afterall, Johnny comes from a wealthy family, so money is not a reason to leave too early AND his momma doesn't need a house!

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Great article. The only thing I dissagree with is that we will be lucky to have a winning record with out Johnny. I'm not convinced that he's leaving this year either. If Philadelphia and their new "Oregon" offense lights it up this year, Johnny will be a hot commodity in this draft. Thing is, I think Johnny wants a National Championship before he leaves A&M. Alabama may have made sure he sticks around for one more. Afterall, Johnny comes from a wealthy family, so money is not a reason to leave too early AND his momma doesn't need a house!
Sounds like wishful thinking to me, but good luck Aggie.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
That's exactly what Andrew Luck tried to do at Stanford. And last year Matt Barkley at USC came back and won 7 more games.

If JM wants to come back, I wonder why he tweeted he couldn't wait to get out of there? I'm paraphrasing.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
JF is great, but hasn't surpassed RGIII yet. To think that neither one were five stars. I have to wander how much better, if at all, Alabama would be with one of these elite QBs. This was a huge early season win against what could be the 2nd best team in the SEC.

M.C. Swag

Suspended
Jun 14, 2013
I'm sorry but a Heisman winner (and quarterback) getting left out does not seem to be a plus in his favor, even if he's only a sophomore. You say it's rare for a freshman or sophomore to be voted onto this leadership council, but it's even more rare to win a Heisman. The fact that he wasn't voted into this group reflects the team's opinion of him in my opinion, because while you say that is rare, that tells me they could have included him and decided not to.
I said "rare" because I couldn't think of a single instance where any player younger than a Junior made the council. I don't know if there's a rule against it or not. Like I said, on field ability doesn't automatically qualify a player for that honor.

And let's bring it to perspective, there's over 80 players on the team and only 12 spots on the leadership councel. Just because you're not on the council, doesnt mean you're some selfish dude. He may not be a captain, but I have yet to hear any player utter any negative comment about Manziel. That should say something too.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Manziel has an uncanny ability to escape what seems by all appearances to be a sure sack and also to avoid solid hits during his chaotic scrambles. However, he badly lacks discipline and seems to forget that no matter how good you are, you are NOT going to win every battle. He's been extremely lucky on many of his wild passes, but fate will not always smile favorably on him. He's going to have a knucklehead game at some point when his refusal to concede that the defense will win on occasion and instead toss the ball into a melee is going to finally intersect with the queued torrent of misfortune which he has inexplicably avoided thus far. As each failed gamble adds to the Aggies' deficit, Johnny Football will become more desperate and the bad decisions will snowball.

The next week, JF will try to play with more discipline and the effect will be to take away what makes Manziel "Johnny Football". The fact is that Johnny must be Johnny and the risks must be accepted as a part of the deal. That fact likely sentences the Aggies to at least one more loss this season and it could be to a team one wouldn't expect.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Follow-up answers...

1) Vick/Manziel - So far, they've both won about the same number of things relative to championships: nothing. Although Tech did win the Big East with Vick (and we can debate the importance of that accomplishment outside of the QB discussion). The difference between Vick winning with Virginia Tech and Manziel winning at Texas A&M is that Virginia Tech actually played defense and special teams. Texas A&M wins because of Manziel, 3-4 skill guys and a better-than-average offensive line -- and does it in the SEC. Everyone has their opinion on what constitutes "greatest" when all positions are being discussed, but I'll put it like this: If you told me I was going to put a college football team together from the ground up via some kind of draft, and I got to draft any COLLEGE (throw out NFL resumes here) player from any era to build around, I take Manziel and build around him. The only other guy I'd consider drafting in my top slot would be Tim Tebow, mostly for what he would bring from a leadership perspective, and I'm not saying he's the No. 2 QB or player of all time because he was neither.

2) Officiating - I'm going to answer this from two perspectives. One, I want to address the call on Clinton-Dix. Unfortunately, we created this mess when we got religion over the issue of concussions. I don't fault the call, even though it was terrible. I fault the fact that replay is not authorized to overturn the entire call. Concussions equal lawsuits equal billions of dollars potentially walking out the door for the NCAA, so every official that teams have this year will be looking for that exact thing. Football is violent and physical, no one is forced to play the sport and no one plays the sport without knowing the risks. Spearing has been against the rules for years, but was never called and now we have this. In my opinion, you either let replay have authority over the entire play, or you don't eject anyone unless it's both targeting AND the guy you hit can't come back to the game himself. Let's quit pretending football is friendly. If you don't want your kids exposed to this, don't let them play. Period.

Now, as to the job the Tom Ritter crew did: They missed calls on both sides. Alabama was a huge beneficiary of the 12-on-the-field call on the punt because it should have been 15 yards and a first down. I don't know why A&M didn't take the five and go for it on 4th-and-1 anyway, because Alabama couldn't stop a bag of feathers at that point in the game. Refs said he joined after the play but he was already out there. I think that was a makeup call of sorts because it followed the Clinton-Dix penalty. Holding missed on both sides happens from every crew in every game. I don't even talk about those anymore because (a) it doesn't change anything and (b) TV has the benefit of unobstructed replays from 20 angles in slow-motion that refs on the field never see. The two calls to object to from an Alabama perspective were the two catches where the receiver went out of bounds and came back in. The one over Fulton on the far sideline could have gone either way, and if I can't clearly object to it after seeing the replay three times then I'm not going to bust a ref's chops over it. The one on the near sideline, though, was a blown call. What really was confusing to me is that both are booth-reviewable. Remember back about 6-7 years to the controversial win over Ole Miss in Oxford, when Lionel Mitchell may or may not have run a guy OOB, that play was reviewed for 10 minutes. Both teams got hit for procedure penalties that were borderline, but some crews call that tighter than others and this crew is consistently tight on that call, so it comes down to a pitcher knowing which umpire is calling balls and strikes that day and adjusting accordingly. Basically, I was neutral on how they did, and the most egregious missed call (Clinton-Dix) is the fault of the system.
What about the blocks from behind on defenders chasing Manziel? Happened every time Bama was about to get a TFL on him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.