Eli Gold broadcast question...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Phil Savage

I'll add this - I'm not sure about him "polluting some of Eli's calls." His "yes!" on the AJ to TJ call last year made the radio broadcast even better. His shouting on Vinnie's return yesterday was fantastic, too.

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Phil Savage

I'll add this - I'm not sure about him "polluting some of Eli's calls." His "yes!" on the AJ to TJ call last year made the radio broadcast even better. His shouting on Vinnie's return yesterday was fantastic, too.
I listened and I absolutely loved hearing them get excited. It adds to the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I didn't listen but thought it was Savage too. The Snake would do that too, I like it. I have to hear "biased" clowns on my t.v. why can't I listen to the same on the radio?;)

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Doesn't Phil say the famous "make a man miss" on the screen pass to Yeldon last year?

I love hearing him in the background. I listened to Eli and company the whole game on Saturday. I learned long ago, to not listen to any CBS games..

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
They used the CTSN play by play call for the CSS replay last night. It was so much better to listen to than just watching the straight replay from CBS. I have some issues with Eli but I'll take him over Gary and Verne stumbling and bumbling any day of the week.

bobmack12champs

1st Team
Mar 1, 2001
Florence, Al. USA
Leave Phil Savage alone...His knowledge of the game is great and I'm sure Eli turns to him for insight when they're on a commercial break.You'll learn more by listening to him rather than just Eli.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I guess I'll show my ignorance, but who is this Phil Savage ?
Phil is the color analyst on the Alabama football radio broadcasts--he took Kenny Stabler's place after the 2007 season. He was the GM for the Cleveland Browns back when Nick was the D-coordinator for Belichick there. They have an association that goes way back. And if I'm not mistaken Phil actually lives in the Mobile area(Fairhope?).

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Phil is the color analyst on the Alabama football radio broadcasts--he took Kenny Stabler's place after the 2007 season. He was the GM for the Cleveland Browns back when Nick was the D-coordinator for Belichick there. They have an association that goes way back. And if I'm not mistaken Phil actually lives in the Mobile area(Fairhope?).
Yes. He lives in Mobile and is the executive director of the Senior Bowl.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm generally turned off by the network guys calling the game.
I began watching the game with Eli and Jerry Duncan in my ear a long time ago.
That way you miss a lot of the bias and stupid uninformed remarks of the 'Verns'.
I like to hear the excitement in the booth, when we make a big play.
Yes, sometimes one of our guys steps on another's lines, but it's all our guys.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Don't think for one minute that CNS probably gets some insight-opinion from Phil concerning the team and teams we are about to play. Phil knows his stuff and I love that he gets into it just like the rest of us. RTR!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Live in Savannah and took a shot at finding a station carrying the game. Lucked out (it was strong and sounded local). Turned down Gary and Verne and listened to Eli and Phil. Radio and TV were slightly out of sync but not so much that it was distracting. Actually enjoyed that game more than any other on TV in long, long time!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.