This Day In Alabama History (September 16) - Many Things

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Some of you know I have that memory "disorder" and the days align for me. On this day in Alabama history - and some of you will remember each of these instances:

1978 - Alabama went into Missouri ranked number one and came away with a 38-20 win over a talented Missouri team that featured future NFL All-Pro tight end Kellen Winslow.

1989 - In a very late home opener, Alabama trounced perennial also-ran Memphis State, 35-7.

1995 - an incredible injustice occurred when Arkansas beat Alabama, 20-19, after a bizarre sequence of plays that rivaled the confusion in the 1972 Olympic basketball debacle. After Barry Lunney drove Arkansas into scoring range, the Razorbacks got away with 12 men on the field. Then Lunney threw to JJ Meadors who trapped the ball on the ground - officials called it a TD and Arkansas won and were on their way to winning their first-ever SEC West division title.

2000 - in perhaps the worst offensive performance in Alabama history, the Tide is humiliated on ESPN by Southern Mississippi, 21-0. Things get so bad that thousands of fans leave the stadium in disgust early in the fourth quarter with rain falling. This game ensured the end of the DuBose era.

2006 - Alabama drills Louisiana-Monroe, 41-7, to move to 3-0.

Btw - 1978 was the first time Alabama ever played on September 16. Most seasons prior to the late 1970s began well after Labor Day.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Some of you know I have that memory "disorder" and the days align for me. On this day in Alabama history - and some of you will remember each of these instances:

1978 - Alabama went into Missouri ranked number one and came away with a 38-20 win over a talented Missouri team that featured future NFL All-Pro tight end Kellen Winslow.

1989 - In a very late home opener, Alabama trounced perennial also-ran Memphis State, 35-7.

1995 - an incredible injustice occurred when Arkansas beat Alabama, 20-19, after a bizarre sequence of plays that rivaled the confusion in the 1972 Olympic basketball debacle. After Barry Lunney drove Arkansas into scoring range, the Razorbacks got away with 12 men on the field. Then Lunney threw to JJ Meadors who trapped the ball on the ground - officials called it a TD and Arkansas won and were on their way to winning their first-ever SEC West division title.

2000 - in perhaps the worst offensive performance in Alabama history, the Tide is humiliated on ESPN by Southern Mississippi, 21-0. Things get so bad that thousands of fans leave the stadium in disgust early in the fourth quarter with rain falling. This game ensured the end of the DuBose era.

2006 - Alabama drills Louisiana-Monroe, 41-7, to move to 3-0.

Btw - 1978 was the first time Alabama ever played on September 16. Most seasons prior to the late 1970s began well after Labor Day.
Siran Stacy's first big game for us, as I recall.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't remember your memory disorder, tell me about it again. ;)
I have a condition called hyperthymesia.

From Wikipedia:

Individuals with hyperthymesia can recall almost every day of their lives in near perfect detail, as well as public events that hold some personal significance to them. Those affected describe their memories as uncontrollable associations, when they encounter a date, they "see" a vivid depiction of that day in their heads. Recollection occurs without hesitation or conscious effort.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here's a trivia question - how many of you know without looking what major sporting event occurred the night before the 1978 Missouri game?

I do. I saw it. And despite being only eight, I know I traveled that day and where.

But enough about me - what major sports event occurred the night before the 1978 Missouri game. Hint: it was in the South.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
I have a condition called hyperthymesia.

From Wikipedia:

Individuals with hyperthymesia can recall almost every day of their lives in near perfect detail, as well as public events that hold some personal significance to them. Those affected describe their memories as uncontrollable associations, when they encounter a date, they "see" a vivid depiction of that day in their heads. Recollection occurs without hesitation or conscious effort.
Wow! Tell me something - do you consider this an blessing, or a curse? (or a little of both!)?

The reason I ask is......I'm sure I've had some days that I'd just as soon forget (and I have, apparently....I can't remember - LOL).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.