My retirement as a football fan (in general) might be closer than what I thought.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I will always watch Bama. But after watching several games (especially the NFL) this weekend I think the game is headed to a product I'm not going to have much interest in watching.

I understand safety, protecting the quarterback, wr and a defenseless player. But how it is being done is quickly changing how the game is played and turning it into a 7 on 7 matchup. I bet I counted ten hits (be it on qb's or wr's) in the NFL yesterday that were flagged that I just couldn't see it being a flag. I understand the spirit of the rules. But after watching the stricter enforcement of these rules and how they impacted games I didn't like what I saw. It looked like the defense was handcuffed and really couldn't do much except wait for the offense to mess up.

If they continue to progress with these safety rules and how they are implemented. I can realistically see me hanging up my Saturday and Sunday remote.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
not to mention Jim "Crybaby" Harbaugh last week wanting the NFL to consider a QB you is running the read optionplay to be considered a "defenseless player" while carrying out his fake to the RB. I do agree with you though. it has reached the point to seriously consider if an Oline or Dline is needed anymore. like you said, let's just go 7 on 7

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
I couldn't agree more with this thread. The oxymoron of the whole notion of player safety is the HUNH offenses. These do more to jeopardize player safety, but are left to run unchecked.

BamaFanOnBeach

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 15, 2007
I actually had this same conversation with my neighbor yesterday. I am not a fan of where it is going today, and not just the on the field rules, but the off the field rules (the NCAA as a whole) as well. It isn't the HUNH, I have no problem with that, and I am fine with rules that address player safety, but I do have issues with rules that protect running QB's more than RB's and penalties that can be reviewed but not overturned..... if they don't make some changes, I think they are going to lose a lot of fans....

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
I am a HS official and I am considering quitting due to what you are describing.
It is H-E double hockey sticks to be an official now-a-days. If you call it then you get hollered at..... if you don't call it then you get the same.
SAFETY rules are ruining the game.
I am out there now as a SERVICE to the kids.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I'm not trying to sidetrack the thread, but I just wanted to point out similarities with NASCAR, which have widely diminished the fanbase of that sport. It used to be best car against best car, but no longer. So many changes have been thrust upon that sport that the only differences between each car now are the paint job and the driver. Heck, take away those two seemingly innocuous items and line the cars up beside one another, and you can't tell which is which. Literally, you can't tell a Ford from a Chevy from a Dodge or a Toyota.
I used to go to Talladega and watch the races twice every year. I think the last time I went was several years ago, and I haven't been back since. Neither do I plan to go again in the foreseeable future.

Buzzard, I agree that some of the changes to college football are atrocious. Granted, there are a few, very few, that are beneficial to the players, coaches, and the sport in general. But there are far more that, in an attempt to equalize the sport, do more harm that good.
I'm sure that if the present trend continues, they might as well quit keeping score as well. If/when football reaches that point, I'm done also.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I will always watch Bama. But after watching several games (especially the NFL) this weekend I think the game is headed to a product I'm not going to have much interest in watching.

I understand safety, protecting the quarterback, wr and a defenseless player. But how it is being done is quickly changing how the game is played and turning it into a 7 on 7 matchup. I bet I counted ten hits (be it on qb's or wr's) in the NFL yesterday that were flagged that I just couldn't see it being a flag. I understand the spirit of the rules. But after watching the stricter enforcement of these rules and how they impacted games I didn't like what I saw. It looked like the defense was handcuffed and really couldn't do much except wait for the offense to mess up.

If they continue to progress with these safety rules and how they are implemented. I can realistically see me hanging up my Saturday and Sunday remote.
Funny you point this out. After watching the "penalty" called on HaHa Saturday, I thought exactly the same thing. "If this is what they have turned this into, then I think it's time to find another hobby". Not joking in the least.....to continue watching this sissyness will be infuriating. If you're worried about complete safety, then don't play football.....

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
I'm not trying to sidetrack the thread, but I just wanted to point out similarities with NASCAR, which have widely diminished the fanbase of that sport. It used to be best car against best car, but no longer. So many changes have been thrust upon that sport that the only differences between each car now are the paint job and the driver. Heck, take away those two seemingly innocuous items and line the cars up beside one another, and you can't tell which is which. Literally, you can't tell a Ford from a Chevy from a Dodge or a Toyota.
I used to go to Talladega and watch the races twice every year. I think the last time I went was several years ago, and I haven't been back since. Neither do I plan to go again in the foreseeable future.

Buzzard, I agree that some of the changes to college football are atrocious. Granted, there are a few, very few, that are beneficial to the players, coaches, and the sport in general. But there are far more that, in an attempt to equalize the sport, do more harm that good.
I'm sure that if the present trend continues, they might as well quit keeping score as well. If/when football reaches that point, I'm done also.
You can thank LAWYERS for all that mess.

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
I quit watching PRO football LONG AGO because of what it has turned into.
It appears college is well on the way to becoming the same MESS.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I regret to say that I am with you Buzzard. I rarely watch the NFL anymore, which my friend says stands for the "Nice Friendly Ladies" league. My son has suggested that we find some rugby teams to follow.

I meant to start my own thread, but would it have been a penalty if one of our defensive players had blocked Johnny M. when he was trying to tackle Vinnie on the interception return?

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I certainly understand where many of you are coming from. On the other side of the coin, I've got a HS sophomore that is playing football. He will not get a free college education or an NFL contract from football. I want to see him survive his high school career in reasonably good shape. If stricter guidelines are needed for safety, so be it. The size and speed of todays' players is making collisions more violent than ever.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
If you're worried about complete safety, then don't play football.....
AMEN!!

These kids know what they are getting into, enough is enough with these so called "safety" rules. If you are scared of getting injured then maybe you shouldn't be playing in the first place.

Let's be honest here though, these rules have nothing to due with safety and protecting players but, everything to due with trying to keep the NCAA and NFL out of the courtroom. It will cause even more "safety" rules to be created as more and more lawsuits get filed.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
It will shake out. They'll get the technology better, and they'll figure out how to police it better. And I'm sorry, that hit on Eddie Lacy wasn't good football. It should be flagged, and the guy who did it should be fined. In my opinion, that should be the focus of the safety rules. Most of the stuff on QBs isn't about safety anyway. The NFL wants more points scored. I don't have much of a problem for how the college game is ref'd, especially if they change the rule and allow the booth to overturn the penalty as well.
One of the posts abpove said "Safety rules are ruining the game." Really? I think this will allow teaching a little different tecnique tackling wise and thus maybe prevent some long term illnesses in the future. At the college level it can be reviewed and changed if necessary as evident last Sat. I think I am safe in saying that 99% of us here played in high school and that was it. The helmet to helmet hits add up the longer you play and advance to diferent levels. Kevin Turner is fighting a battle right now due to this. Hopefully, we can continue to make the game as safe as possible and prevent serious injury because nobody wants that.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I certainly understand where many of you are coming from. On the other side of the coin, I've got a HS sophomore that is playing football. He will not get a free college education or an NFL contract from football. I want to see him survive his high school career in reasonably good shape. If stricter guidelines are needed for safety, so be it. The size and speed of todays' players is making collisions more violent than ever.
From a parent's standpoint I cannot argue with you. But from a spectator's standpoint I'll go find something else to do or watch. No offense intended. Just the truth.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I meant to start my own thread, but would it have been a penalty if one of our defensive players had blocked Johnny M. when he was trying to tackle Vinnie on the interception return?
Blocked him, no.
Crushed him like Quinton Dial laid out Aaron Murray, yes.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Hopefully, we can continue to make the game as safe as possible and prevent serious injury because nobody wants that.
No one has ever wanted serious injuries, now or 100 years ago but, you are never going to prevent them. If that is the goal then we might as well just slap some flags on everyone and be done with it. As long as there is tackling in football, serious injuries will unfortunately be a part of the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.