AJ's prospects for the NFL?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
His best situation to be successful in the NFL would be this: be a mid to late round pick, get picked by a solid organization e.g. ravens, packers, etc, and sit for several years and then do the best with whatever playing opportunity he gets.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
His best situation to be successful in the NFL would be this: be a mid to late round pick, get picked by a solid organization e.g. ravens, packers, etc, and sit for several years and then do the best with whatever playing opportunity he gets.
he's probably going to be a second round pick; third round at the worst. I expect that he'll have an opportunity to earn a starting job, and I hope to see him playing on sundays...he's definitely got the talent.

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
To be honest, it's impossible for most people to tell.
I mean, other than Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning, there haven't been many QBs who were surefire in college, have there? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

What he's got going for him:
1. Coach has prepared him how to handle media, distractions, and pressure
2. He's tall enough
3. Has great accuracy and decent strength
4. All the intangibles (leader, smart, etc)

What he's got against him:
1. QBs bust all the time and nobody sees it coming
2. He doesn't have to play in the cold at Alabama (this actually matters. Playing in Green Bay, NY, BUFF, etc. could potentially be hard for him)
3. Alabama is so talented that he doesn't often have to go through 3 to 4 reads in one play. If the first read isn't open, the he can just dump it off to Lacy/Yeldon, etc.

Not saying he can't fix #3, but NFL scouts looking into everything and might see it as a problem.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
How far do you guys see AJ going in the NFL? I'd be curious to hear an unbiased (as much as can be on a Bama forum) opinion of where you see AJ going down the road as an NFL QB.
I don't know where he'd go in the draft but I'd be surprised if he went lower than the second round. As far as NFL career a lot depends on the team but I see him as a Tom Brady type QB. In fact he'd probably be as close to a perfect fit for the Patriots system as anyone.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
No Jets, Browns, Raiders or Jags and he will be ok. He would need to go somewhere with a solid front office and a veteren QB. He can learn a few years and wait his turn. Denver maybe (I would hate it but….). Given their history he could go to the Falcons and 3 years later get traded and become a star somewhere else (Favre and Schaub).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He appears to have everything that a team running a pre-set offense could possibly require. But, as others have suggested, you just don't know until he gets his shot. A few things to consider:

* He has struggled when your receivers are well covered. Can he fit passes into very small windows? Can he recognize an "open" receiver in these conditions?
* Though the SEC is fast, the NFL makes it look slow. Can he adapt to the speed?
* Can he play in really bad weather (wet, windy, cold, icy)? Think about some of the NFL game conditions.
* Will he play well enough in that small opportunity that he will receive at the outset (preseason)? Lots of talented players never get a real chance to prove themselves. He will need some luck to go with his talent.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'm not a scout by any stretch of the imagination -- but does he have a fast enough release? To me, he seems to have a fairly slow release....

He has touch -- and decent arm strength -- limited mobility -- but, could be a starter in the right environment.....

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
No Jets, Browns, Raiders or Jags and he will be ok. He would need to go somewhere with a solid front office and a veteren QB. He can learn a few years and wait his turn. Denver maybe (I would hate it but….). Given their history he could go to the Falcons and 3 years later get traded and become a star somewhere else (Favre and Schaub).
I don't think we have to worry about AJ going to the above listed team with the worst record this year. Johnny Football will go there. I hope AJ goes to a team where he isn't thrown out as the "QB of the future" right off the bat. Not many of those pan out, especially when the rest of the team still sucks. Give AJ a couple three years to be the understudy, and he will have a much longer and more productive career..

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
AJ will be a first round pick and how well he does will depend on getting with the team that that has the system that suits him best. He is not the type with a poor work ethic or that will have the off the field problems. Quarterbacks are such a premium in the NFL teams will be scrambling to get in position to draft AJ. The young man can do it all and is far more mobile than given credit for.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I typically give some of the least biased opinions regarding NFL drafts position, so let m try with AJ.

AJ has several things you want in an NFL QB. He is intelligent, he is able to make checks at the line of scrimmage, he has good height, he is a proven winner, he has good feet (both in pocket and in scrambling ability), and his arm is good (not great or elite).

What he has against him is mainly things you can work on. His arm isn't GREAT, but I think he would have no problem making NFL throws. Like other have said, his progression reading needs work. He is rarely making more then two checkdowns during a play, and he'll have to learn that. He has played with so much talent, that at times he could have looked BETTER than he actually is (that's not a knock, but just saying). His release is a little slow, but that is a fix that CAN be made in the NFL.

As of right now, I would have him going in the 2nd-3rd round. I think he COULD work his way up the board, but QB is such a strange position from draft to draft. As long as he goes to a team where he can learn for a few years, and learn the system..work on mechanics...get used to the NFL, then I think he has a chance to be a good QB going forward. I don't know if I see elite written on him, but I think he can be productive. He has very similar build and ability as Eli Manning.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Gone within the first two rounds. Will be a starter sometime in his career. Not a "can't miss" guy, but has a good chance.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
What's the problem? He's 6'4. not injury prone, very intelligent, very coachable, reads defenses and has a stronger arm than Joe Montana ever had.

Oh, and he's a WINNER!

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
To be honest, it's impossible for most people to tell.
I mean, other than Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning, there haven't been many QBs who were surefire in college, have there? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

What he's got going for him:
1. Coach has prepared him how to handle media, distractions, and pressure
2. He's tall enough
3. Has great accuracy and decent strength
4. All the intangibles (leader, smart, etc)

What he's got against him:
1. QBs bust all the time and nobody sees it coming
2. He doesn't have to play in the cold at Alabama (this actually matters. Playing in Green Bay, NY, BUFF, etc. could potentially be hard for him)3. Alabama is so talented that he doesn't often have to go through 3 to 4 reads in one play. If the first read isn't open, the he can just dump it off to Lacy/Yeldon, etc.

Not saying he can't fix #3, but NFL scouts looking into everything and might see it as a problem.

Yeah, Bart Starr and Brett Farve really struggled with it.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
whats going to hurt AJ. well not hurt him, but possibly prevent him from being a first rounder is he's lacking in both velocity and accuracy by nfl standards. if you are lacking in velocity, you'd better be able to thread a needle.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I don't know where he'd go in the draft but I'd be surprised if he went lower than the second round. As far as NFL career a lot depends on the team but I see him as a Tom Brady type QB. In fact he'd probably be as close to a perfect fit for the Patriots system as anyone.
My thinking as well. I have seen him as a Tom Brady/Joe Montana type but wondered what everyone else thought.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
AJ will be a first round pick and how well he does will depend on getting with the team that that has the system that suits him best. He is not the type with a poor work ethic or that will have the off the field problems. Quarterbacks are such a premium in the NFL teams will be scrambling to get in position to draft AJ. The young man can do it all and is far more mobile than given credit for.
1st round? Uh, no. Love me some AJ but I'd be shocked if he were taken in the 1st round. That is a pick where you are expected to start and I don't see that. I think he will have a successful NFL career and you don't have to go in the 1st rd for that. In fact he'd be better of getting the right fit as opposed to the wrong fit but a high draft number. JMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.