AJ's prospects for the NFL?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Peyton Manning has as many Super Bowls as Joe Namath and Brett Favre, (Steve Young too if you count starts).

I'm surprised anyone on a football message board would try to act as if Peyton Manning wasn't a top 5 QB all time.
That is one of the reasons that I like Tommy Mac - he is stubborn as a mule when it comes to players or teams that he loves or hates. He is passionate.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
The Colts were 3-13 in 1997, enter Peyton in 1998 and they were once again 3-13, They drafted Edgarin James in 1999, with Peyton, James and Marvin Harrison, they turned things around. New GM Jim Polian brought in tons of talent, it was not a solo job brought about just by adding Peyton.

As for his college career, yeah he piled up some gaudy stats, but he was pretty lacking in the championship category...............just like in his NFL career.

I'm sure he's very popular in Fantasy Leagues though.
you lost me when you stared discrediting one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, let alone one of the best from the SEC. If you think that Peyton Manning wasnt the key that turned the indianapolis colts around...wow...

no QB can do it without other players. Just because he didnt win two or three championships doesnt discount how great a QB he is... it's a team sport. Peyton has proven hes one of the all time best, and is a LOCK for the hall of fame..

Of course, this is just an opinion, and I appreciate the fact you have one also.......

Last edited:

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
you lost me when you stared discrediting one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, let alone one of the best from the SEC.

Not a big deal, but this phrase should be the other way around.

Also I think it's hilarious that someone is saying Peyton Manning wasn't good in college.

I could see AJ being like Hasselback. Like someone mentioned. But I don't expect him to be any better than that. I am also not convinced he can play in the cold (not AJ's fault. No average/slightly-better-than-average NFL prospect QB can convince me of that until they actually do it a few times).

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
1st round? Uh, no. Love me some AJ but I'd be shocked if he were taken in the 1st round. That is a pick where you are expected to start and I don't see that. I think he will have a successful NFL career and you don't have to go in the 1st rd for that. In fact he'd be better of getting the right fit as opposed to the wrong fit but a high draft number. JMO.
Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder were the #10 and #12 picks in 2011. Never underestimate a team reaching for a QB early.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I think many are selling AJ short. Compare it a different way. McElroy was a late round pick, Wilson was 3rd round. AJ is a much better "talent" than either, and he has the pedegree with 2 NC, both of which he was instrumental.

Wilson was an UFA to the Falcons. It was Brodie that went in the 3rd round, and he went to the Chiefs.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder were the #10 and #12 picks in 2011. Never underestimate a team reaching for a QB early.
Ponder was a reach, yeah (from a Vikings fan here)... Gabbert, however, has one of the highest rated QB's coming out when he did (hindsight is 20/20). Why? Well, here is part of his bio

Gabbert’s biggest strengths are his mechanics. He may be the most technically sound quarterback in the 2011 NFL Draft. He has a quick release, has very solid footwork, and often being quite fluid in his throwing motion.
His arm strength is exceptional as he can make all of the NFL throws, and he does a nice job of fitting the ball into tight spots on passes of 15+ yards. His mobility isn’t anything to write home about, but he can move around in the pocket a little bit as needed.

While he hasn't panned out yet, his physical skills were way up there...which is more important to an NFL GM then winning games in college. Not saying that is the RIGHT thing, but it's just the way things go in the NFL.

Last edited:

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Ponder was a reach, yeah (from a Vikings fan here)... Gabbert, however, has one of the highest rated QB's coming out when he did (hindsight is 20/20). Why? Well, here is part of his bio

While he hasn't panned out yet, his physical skills were way up there...which is more important to an NFL GM then winning games in college. Not saying that is the RIGHT thing, but it's just the way things go in the NFL.
He may have had the physical tools but the Jags reached for an instant starter and they are now paying for it. It's not a coincidence that bad franchises make bad draft picks.

My point is NFL teams can easily convince themselves to take a QB early, regardless of if that player is worthy of that spo.t

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011

While he hasn't panned out yet, his physical skills were way up there...which is more important to an NFL GM then winning games in college. Not saying that is the RIGHT thing, but it's just the way things go in the NFL

Also, I couldn't name one wide receiver on that team. They were that bad. It can't be good for your psyche as a QB if your WRs are terrible and you're taking a beating in the pocket on top of that.

Also, taking a QB also has to do with the fan base. Every fan wants a QB or star WR. It sells jerseys and stuff. I mean, how many Jake Long or Joe Thomas jerseys do we see? Not that many.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Also, I couldn't name one wide receiver on that team. They were that bad. It can't be good for your psyche as a QB if your WRs are terrible and you're taking a beating in the pocket on top of that.

Also, taking a QB also has to do with the fan base. Every fan wants a QB or star WR. It sells jerseys and stuff. I mean, how many Jake Long or Joe Thomas jerseys do we see? Not that many.
Justin Blackmon

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
1st round? Uh, no. Love me some AJ but I'd be shocked if he were taken in the 1st round. That is a pick where you are expected to start and I don't see that. I think he will have a successful NFL career and you don't have to go in the 1st rd for that. In fact he'd be better of getting the right fit as opposed to the wrong fit but a high draft number. JMO.
There are 32 teams in the NFL. At any given time a third will be unhappy with their QB situation and see upgrading the position as the best way to get out of the bottom of their division. A QB with AJ's skills and resume WILL grab a GM's attention. All it takes is one team to fall in love with a player.

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
Justin Blackmon isn't a #1 WR, especially at this point in his NFL career. Also, he wasn't on the 2011 team with Gabbert, so he wasn't there to bail Gabbert out.

By the time Blackmon develops into a #1, Gabbert will be out of the league.

Good call on him though. I didn't know he was on the team, and I had to Google that.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham

Well, back to back years they drafted Gabbert at #10 (trading up with a 1st/2nd rd pick) and Justin Blackmon at #5 (trading up with a 4th rd pick). That strategy hasn't worked out so far, in wins or fan support. In fact, there seems to be no signs of improvement - Gabbert is benched for Chad Henne and Blackmon is suspended 4 games for being a drunk.

You make money by putting a quality product on the field.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Well, back to back years they drafted Gabbert at #10 (trading up with a 1st/2nd rd pick) and Justin Blackmon at #5 (trading up with a 4th rd pick). That strategy hasn't worked out so far, in wins or fan support. In fact, there seems to be no signs of improvement - Gabbert is benched for Chad Henne and Blackmon is suspended 4 games for being a drunk.

Gabbert was only benched due to injury... He still isn't good, but the whole team is bad...

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011

In the long term, yea. But not necessarily in the short term.

And the NFL is popular enough that even that is debatable. Doesn't matter how bad your team is, you'll have a ton of fans.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He has a tendency to throw off his back foot on deep passes. I know that will likely get minuses from most NFL scouts who they like that well-formed base to send accurate ropes downfield against tighter coverage. It is odd because - unless pressured - he throws all medium to short passes with proper footwork. Also, he tends to float short range wide passes like WR screens but he has near perfect touch on medium range passes to the sideline.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.