ObamaCare Plans Come on the Market October 1st. Get Ready

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
The same problem exists before or after Zerocare- healthcare is too expensive in this country.
Absolutely true. However people are trying to pin the cost of the rise solely upon HCA. When in reality it has been climbing ridiculously and far out of line with other first world countries since 1980. For the most part I think most companies are seeing the HCA as a convenient way to offload a large portion of their obligation (obligation only in the fact that many employees expect companies to provide insurance, so since everyone else is doing it, so must the company in question) to the individual and avoid the blame. "We are sorry that you are having to pick up more of the tab, its all that Obama's fault." When I honestly believe, that if you took a look at the cost of insurance, specifically the information pertaining to %age increases year over year and the lack of uniformly increasing growth, something had to budge. That budge is American's wallets and their responsibility for taking a larger role in their own health care.

Information regarding health care cost increases: http://kff.org/health-costs/issue-b...in-the-united-states-selected-oecd-countries/

Edit: I am sure most here know I am not against the concept of HCA. I am disappointed that the private industry metastasized within the implementation of it. Insurance companies play a huge role in the cost of care skyrocketing.

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Absolutely true. However people are trying to pin the cost of the rise solely upon HCA. When in reality it has been climbing ridiculously and far out of line with other first world countries since 1980. For the most part I think most companies are seeing the HCA as a convenient way to offload a large portion of their obligation (obligation only in the fact that many employees expect companies to provide insurance, so since everyone else is doing it, so must the company in question) to the individual and avoid the blame. "We are sorry that you are having to pick up more of the tab, its all that Obama's fault." When I honestly believe, that if you took a look at the cost of insurance, specifically the information pertaining to %age increases year over year and the lack of uniformly increasing growth, something had to budge. That budge is American's wallets and their responsibility for taking a larger role in their own health care.

Information regarding health care cost increases: http://kff.org/health-costs/issue-b...in-the-united-states-selected-oecd-countries/

Edit: I am sure most here know I am not against the concept of HCA. I am disappointed that the private industry metastasized within the implementation of it. Insurance companies play a huge role in the cost of care skyrocketing.
I agree with most of this especially the problem with the insurance companies. They have separated the market from the purchasers to the point where buyers have little choice in pricing or effect on the actual price of the procedure/care. However, that is the rub. This was supposed to be a fix to that problem, and it simply is not. We are in effect just changing who is determining the costs and who determines the rate structures. IMO We are moving away from market influences on prices instead of toward them. I've been wrong before, but I do not see this ever having any impact on the rising costs. We are just adding layers of expensive bureaucracy.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
With respect to layers of expensive bureaucracy, I know factually that the ACA has increased administrative costs for my health plan by nearly $400K in 2013 alone.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

The rising costs are due to lawsuits, shortage of Doctors, clogged emergency rooms, cutbacks by Big Pharma, and Obamacare....

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but if we have coverage through my husband's company via BCBS, do we need to do anything? We have a freaking amazing plan that covers nearly everything on the planet. It's not cheap but what should we expect and is there somewhere I can go to find out? Besides calling the guy in charge at the company?! :)

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but if we have coverage through my husband's company via BCBS, do we need to do anything? We have a freaking amazing plan that covers nearly everything on the planet. It's not cheap but what should we expect and is there somewhere I can go to find out? Besides calling the guy in charge at the company?! :)

If your not too worried about price going up you should be fine, unless the company drops the plan altogether. Depending on your health and the plan though you might be able to get the same coverage, for about the same price, through an independent insurer.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
This might help: https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-i-have-job-based-health-insurance/

www.healthcare.gov usually has the answers some where on their web site

If you have job-based health insurance you like, you can keep it. You're considered covered.
You may be able to change to Marketplace coverage if you want to.
Any job-based health plan you currently have qualifies as minimum essential coverage. You don't need to change to a Marketplace plan in order to avoid the fee that uninsured people may have to pay for 2014. If you'd like to explore Marketplace coverage options you can, but there are several important things to consider.

Comparing job-based and Marketplace plans

With most job-based health insurance plans, your employer pays a portion of your premiums. If you choose a Marketplace plan instead, your employer does not need to make a contribution to your premiums. You should consider this carefully before comparing Marketplace plans.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
The problems with company plans is that you can not take them with you and they can drop them pretty much whenever they feel like it. While going to the marketplace might cost you a little more in the short run, it can pay off big time if the company coverage changes for any reason.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
bamabelle, on October 1st you can go online and actually see the different marketplace plans and how much they cost. Keep in mind you may be eligible for a subsidy based on income and family size. The subsidy is paid directly to the insurance company you select. You have 6 months from October 1st to make up your mind. No need to rush into things.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
The problems with company plans is that you can not take them with you and they can drop them pretty much whenever they feel like it. While going to the marketplace might cost you a little more in the short run, it can pay off big time if the company coverage changes for any reason.
If you can trust the IRS more than you trust your employer, I am glad I don't work there...That being said I believe it is the government plan to get to a single payer.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/09/details_scare_on_health_insura.html

Details scarce on health insurance exchange plans; three companies apply to offer plans

Every Alabama county should be covered by the state’s federally run health insurance exchange, but key details – including what the plans will cost – are scarce with 10 days to go before enrollment starts.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama, the state's largest health insurance provider, has filed a proposal to offer plans in all 67 counties. Blue Cross will offer both individual plans and small group plans.Koko Mackin, vice president of corporate communications and community relations for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama, said the company will offer individual and small group exchange products for the bronze, silver, gold and platinum levels of coverage.
Humana has proposed to cover 50 of Alabama's 67 counties, planning to offer both individual and small group plans, according to the state Department of Insurance.
A third company, United, has also proposed to offer small group plans in all 67 counties, Fowler said.

Carnes urged people to visit the website www.healthcare.gov to learn more about the options and if subsidies are available to them.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/09/details_scare_on_health_insura.html

Details scarce on health insurance exchange plans; three companies apply to offer plans

Every Alabama county should be covered by the state’s federally run health insurance exchange, but key details – including what the plans will cost – are scarce with 10 days to go before enrollment starts.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama, the state's largest health insurance provider, has filed a proposal to offer plans in all 67 counties. Blue Cross will offer both individual plans and small group plans.Koko Mackin, vice president of corporate communications and community relations for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama, said the company will offer individual and small group exchange products for the bronze, silver, gold and platinum levels of coverage.
Humana has proposed to cover 50 of Alabama's 67 counties, planning to offer both individual and small group plans, according to the state Department of Insurance.
A third company, United, has also proposed to offer small group plans in all 67 counties, Fowler said.

Carnes urged people to visit the website www.healthcare.gov to learn more about the options and if subsidies are available to them.
It's unclear to me how a company can decide to cover only certain counties in a federally-run state exchange. I haven't read the linked article, but I wonder if racial discrimination is ultimately involved.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
It's unclear to me how a company can decide to cover only certain counties in a federally-run state exchange. I haven't read the linked article, but I wonder if racial discrimination is ultimately involved.
Excellent point . Humana has proposed: Humana has proposed to cover 50 of Alabama's 67 counties, planning to offer both individual and small group plans.

The article doesn't address that question but does say that :
Since Alabama declined to run its own exchange, the state has a limited role. Fowler said the department is only checking to see if the companies comply with state law. Approval of the plans is up to the federal government.“The feds are going to make the decision on what actually shows up on the exchange,” Fowler said.

Looks to me that BCBS will still have a lock on the market here in Alabama.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
It's likely more a case of them literally not being able to cover those counties due to an inadequate network of providers. That's what we're seeing in other states.

It is particularly likely if those are rural counties, as many docs and hospitals know they don't need to deal with the contracts.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
It's likely more a case of them literally not being able to cover those counties due to an inadequate network of providers. That's what we're seeing in other states.

It is particularly likely if those are rural counties, as many docs and hospitals know they don't need to deal with the contracts.
Surely there are more than 17 rural counties in Alabama.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Surely there are more than 17 rural counties in Alabama.
Yes, but with rural counties it comes down to population distribution and whether the rural hospital and clinics want to play ball with the health plan. Time and distance of enrollees to necessary providers is key, as networks are assessed via geo-mapping programs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.