ObamaCare Plans Come on the Market October 1st. Get Ready

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Yes, but with rural counties it comes down to population distribution and whether the rural hospital and clinics want to play ball with the health plan. Time and distance of enrollees to necessary providers is key, as networks are assessed via geo-mapping programs.
Seems like another major gap in the ACA if this were allowed to occur.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
bamabelle, on October 1st you can go online and actually see the different marketplace plans and how much they cost. Keep in mind you may be eligible for a subsidy based on income and family size. The subsidy is paid directly to the insurance company you select. You have 6 months from October 1st to make up your mind. No need to rush into things.
Not sure if it is good or bad to NOT qualify for a subsidy. ;) Thanks for the info!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Dept. of HHS report on rates

abstract said:
This report summarizes the health plan choices and premiums that will be available in the Health Insurance Marketplace. It contains new information, current as of September 18, 2013, on qualified health plans in the 36 states in which the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) will support or fully run the Health Insurance Marketplace in 2014. Plan data is in final stages but is still under review as of September 18 and may be revised in HHS systems before being displayed for consumers, so this information is subject to change. This analysis also includes similar information that is publicly available from 11 states and the District of Columbia that are implementing their own Marketplace. This report focuses on the plans with the lowest premiums in each state, as consumers are expected to shop for low-cost plans. Nearly all consumers (about 95%) will have a choice of 2 or more health insurance issuers (often many more) and nearly all consumers (about 95%) live in states with average premiums below earlier estimates.
tables with expected rates, etc in the report

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
bamabelle, on October 1st you can go online and actually see the different marketplace plans and how much they cost. Keep in mind you may be eligible for a subsidy based on income and family size. The subsidy is paid directly to the insurance company you select. You have 6 months from October 1st to make up your mind. No need to rush into things.
Sounds like a Nancy Pelosi quote. We have to wait until the thing is implemented to see how much it costs ;)

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Little more info from Blue Cross.

http://www.elabs7.com/functions/mes...425&mlid=138488&siteid=1001272&uid=66fc99b064

Affordable Care Act Brings Changes to Premium Calculation
The new regulations established by the Affordable Care Act include rules on how premiums are calculated. The new law requires all health insurance companies in the individual and small group markets to use a consistent rating method called “member level rating.”

• For the individual market, this means each person on an insurance policy will now be rated based on age, whether he or she uses tobacco, and the county in which the policy holder lives.
  • For the small group market, this means each person on an employer´s plan will now be rated based on age and the employer´s principal business address.

More info at the link above

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
Little more info from Blue Cross.

http://www.elabs7.com/functions/mes...425&mlid=138488&siteid=1001272&uid=66fc99b064

Affordable Care Act Brings Changes to Premium Calculation
The new regulations established by the Affordable Care Act include rules on how premiums are calculated. The new law requires all health insurance companies in the individual and small group markets to use a consistent rating method called “member level rating.”

• For the individual market, this means each person on an insurance policy will now be rated based on age, whether he or she uses tobacco, and the county in which the policy holder lives.
  • For the small group market, this means each person on an employer´s plan will now be rated based on age and the employer´s principal business address.

More info at the link above
You can keep posting these articles all you want but in order to keep our cost as close to what we are paying now we had to down grade our policy. We will pay some more for worse coverage, just as planned by our commie-in-chief.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
You can keep posting these articles all you want but in order to keep our cost as close to what we are paying now we had to down grade our policy. We will pay some more for worse coverage, just as planned by our commie-in-chief.
Just trying to keep those who may need coverage informed. Plus they promised to triple reload my EBT Card.

Swoop why don't you go online October 1st and see what's available for you. Couldn't hurt.

Last edited:

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
Just trying to keep those who may need coverage informed. Plus they promised to triple reload my EBT Card.

Swoop why don't you go online October 1st and see what's available for you. Couldn't hurt.
I'm going to try and stay as free as I can for as long as I can, so no thanks.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
But shopping plans and possibly finding one cheaper would not limit freedom in any way.
If one has to accept less choice or no choice, then yes one is giving up freedom for a cheaper price. I can't imagine many leaving their employer-sponsored insurance (voluntarily) for such.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
You are all confusing "health care" with "health care insurance".

It should come as no surprise that I have no "health care insurance", and have not had any in.............I forget how long. (A manner of pre-existing conditions. Most are nothing anyone here would want to have.)

But, I have no problem getting "health care". I simply go to the doctor, and, yes, it has to be the right one (for many reasons), but I pay cash. And I get a cash rate. He does not have some insurance company looking over his shoulder, telling him he has to run some expensive test (that really won't tell him squat), just so they can get the right diagnosis.

Which is pointless, as they don't really have a diagnosis code for my underlying bizarre problem. Which also means no official treatment. (This is not anything that will be unique to Obamacare....................the insurance companies have been trending this way for years.)

So, if I am "forced" to buy "health care insurance" that I do not want, what do you think will happen??

Yeah............"Uh, you can not give him that injection. It is not an approved treatment for that diagnosis code." (Which always is one of those "unspecified/unknown" types.)

Yes, through many trial-and-error "experiments", we have found some treatments that do help some, even though they are not for what is wrong with me. (In case you want to know..........some weird immune deficiency.)

Even Kamerad Santa Klaus has admitted that even in the best health plan, some folks will fall between the cracks. Well, guess who will be one of those folks. Yep, you guessed it. Welcome to the crack.............maybe we will run into each other there.

I don't know about you guys, but I would rather have an insurance policy that had a $10k annual deductible, than pay $800/mo for a policy that would interfere with my health care choices. Either way is expensive, and the costs are not that far apart. But given the choice, I would rather have the one that gives me the most choice. But, no........they don't want us to have choice.

The ruling elite has decided that we all have to carry the same insurance. Can't have some folks having better policies than the next guy. Can't let folks like me buy high deductible plans, that only cover "catastrophic" events. So, in their infinite wisdom, they will force us to accept insurance that covers everything imaginable. Even things you do not need or want.

I know I will never need "gender reassignment surgery", but that is what all the plans will have to cover. I hope you enjoy paying for such nonsense, because you will.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. I have been dealing with gubbament interference, on and off, for around 30 years. (Mind you, I do not receive any gubbament subsidy, but they get to dictate what treatments can and can not be offered. And that is where they have been meddling. So, while they do not directly affect me, they do manage to screw with me. And, yes, I am mad. You would be, too.)

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
The ruling elite has decided that we all have to carry the same insurance. Can't have some folks having better policies than the next guy. Can't let folks like me buy high deductible plans, that only cover "catastrophic" events. So, in their infinite wisdom, they will force us to accept insurance that covers everythingimaginable. Even things you do not need or want.
Cuda, there are actually 4 levels of coverage people can buy. Not everyone has to have the same policy. Catastrophic plans are available to those under 30 years or to those who have been granted an exception/waiver. If you can prove hardship you need not buy insurance. As far as paying cash you are either very wealthy or you haven't had any major surgeries.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The latter. I did have major surgeries, but that was when I was employed. (Company went bankrupt...........part of the problem.)

Way over 30, btw................

You are referring to "exchanges", which Texas has no intentions of providing. Unless they changed their mind.

I have no idea how old you are, but there was a day when all the hospitals were affiliated with churches. You did not have to be Catholic (or Jewish) to be born in one of their hospitals. They expected folks to pay their bills, but if you couldn't, they didn't hound you to the ends of the earth. And they didn't try to convert you to fish (or bagel) eating.

We still have Presbyterian, Methodist, and Baptist hospitals. In name only. In fact, in DFW, the same fascists own the first 2 mentioned above. Which is funny, as they were competing against each other, trying to unload their under-performing units on the other guy. Now they are the same.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.