Link: Baylor's New On Campus Stadium

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
It's a good looking stadium. I wonder if they will build boat docks so fans can travel by boat and tie up next to the stadium. It's the only thing I like about Neyland Stadium, the Orange Navy.

lelandhorne

1st Team
Sep 21, 2013
nice, but no match for a REAL football stadium - ie:BDS
Stadiums like this are the future. People no longer want to go to a 100k seater stadium for a nosebleed seat when they can stay at home and watch their 1080p TV for a fraction of the price. To lure fans to stadiums smaller programs will have to go for quality of quantity.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
Someone mentioned a tradition of jumping in the river after a win. I would be more interested in the over/under on the number of fans who "over tailgate" and take a fall into the river before they even get to the stadium!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Stadiums like this are the future. People no longer want to go to a 100k seater stadium for a nosebleed seat when they can stay at home and watch their 1080p TV for a fraction of the price. To lure fans to stadiums smaller programs will have to go for quality of quantity.
For the most part, I agree - especially when you consider all the new TV contracts meaning that most serious football schools' games will be broadcast in HD every week. Traditional powers will still be able to draw a crowd, but the new kids will likely never be able to achieve that sort of following.

JohnS

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 7, 2013
It's a good looking stadium. I wonder if they will build boat docks so fans can travel by boat and tie up next to the stadium. It's the only thing I like about Neyland Stadium, the Orange Navy.
YES! Yes there will be. The saligate docks will accommodate boats with similar amenities of a normal tailgate spot, tv, electricity etc. They are still working out interest on reservable docks and will have plenty of room to grow easily over the next few years.

One of the groups that is forming in expectation of saligating. The Baylor Bearmada. The sailor bear incorporated into their logo is one of the most endearing and curious. It was drawn up by a marketing company in California as part of a nation wide campaign for numerous universities in 1951. Curious because the sailor beanie the bear is wearing with the traditional interlocking BU had no story behind it. Nonetheless it remained popular over the past 60+ years and finds a new life in the stadium on the river.

For the most part, I agree - especially when you consider all the new TV contracts meaning that most serious football schools' games will be broadcast in HD every week. Traditional powers will still be able to draw a crowd, but the new kids will likely never be able to achieve that sort of following.
Agree with everything. But even traditional powers are having issues keeping fans away from the large HD tv, grill with food, and beer right outside of the stadium.

Last edited:

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012
My son is a freshman at Baylor. This is going to be a really nice facility. It is small, but it is exactly what Baylor needs. Sudent body is about 10000, small private Baptist school. What they need to do is build some parking lots. Parking on Baylor campus on game day is horrible. The old stadium is a dump and really needed replacing.

JohnS

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 7, 2013
This explains the 7+ year waiting list at Bama :biggrin:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes, the tickets are sold but do they stay until the band plays the final song? Or would they wander off from the stadium to their tailgate spot and watch the game live with a beer and burger in their hands.

If it was a big enough issue for the HC to say something about it, or for many a rant was made on here about how "we" wished we had those tickets.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...ans-stay-whole-game-not-164341747--ncaaf.html

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes, the tickets are sold but do they stay until the band plays the final song? Or would they wander off from the stadium to their tailgate spot and watch the game live with a beer and burger in their hands.

If it was a big enough issue for the HC to say something about it, or for many a rant about how we they wish they had those tickets.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...ans-stay-whole-game-not-164341747--ncaaf.html
I will agree on that one.. It really irritates me watching people leave before the clock hits 00:00.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Exactly..It's the perfect stadium for a mid-level football program like Baylor has..If our coaches were to open up just our practices to us fans, that size stadium would be perfect for us, it's amazing as to how different our fan-bases truly are..LOL

45k is about right for them. Overall the new stadium would look great for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Exactly..It's the perfect stadium for a mid-level football program like Baylor has..If our coaches were to open up just our practices to us fans, that size stadium would be perfect for us, it's amazing as to how different our fan-bases truly are..LOL
Haha that's for sure. Well when Pete Carroll did it he let people be on the field watching them.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Haha that's for sure. Well when Pete Carroll did it he let people be on the field watching them.

During the DuBose years, I went to a few practices. People who just showed up were allowed to stand on the field and watch practice. At least on the days I was there. This was summer practice, a week or two before the first game. we just parked on the street not far from the field and walked out there. Watched everything from stretching until the players were dismissed. Couldn't do that nowadays, that's for sure, but it was pretty cool.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Thanks for posting the updated pics of how far construction is coming along JohnS..I think it will be one of the best stadiums in college football once it's completed..

And just out of curiosity..Does that river flood very often, I wonder if that will be a problem, cause during "Tornado Season" those storms can dump a tremendous amount of rain in a short amount of time..

Last edited:

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
It looks good, but it is too small. If you want to be mediocre, don't build a new stadium; if you want to compete, build a larger one. Winning attracts people. Build to win. At least it should have been 70000, or don't build it at all. Note to recruits; we just built a great new stadium; 45,000. It is just a hard sell if you want to jump up for good against the competition. Briles gives you a competitive edge. If he leaves, the new stadium gives you none.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.